CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Z F 1 - Funny Stuff? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3489497-z-f-1-funny-stuff.html)

Quick99 06-23-2014 05:42 PM

Z F 1 - Funny Stuff?

I see Chevrolet has created a new option for us to spend even more money on. Yes, its an "almost Z51" designed for owners who like the look of the real deal but not the ride.

Now this is not a bad thing, unless you paid $$$ for a real Z51 then I suspect you feel a little cheated.

And, it looks to me that the guys at GM felt a litte guilty which is why they gave the new choice an RPO code of ZF1
which stands for Zee Fake One.....

youcancallmeray 06-23-2014 05:52 PM

The new ZF1 option costs just $800 less than the Z51 option originally did.
Either the ZF1 is well overpriced or the Z51 was the bargain of the century.

Zymurgy 06-23-2014 05:55 PM

I own a Z51 and I do not feel the slightest bit "cheated". The people that buy this option are the one's that should feel cheated. They get the looks but none of the real goodies and pay almost as much as the real deal.

Modshack 06-23-2014 05:57 PM

LOL...Yeah, GM is making a killing on this one at $2K for a wheel and tire upgrade. I suspect the original Z51 buyers feel pretty smug though since they got the hardware to go along with the package for only $800 more. In reality, it seems (from my time on this forum) that most bought for the "Look"....Few IMO will ever exploit the (real) Z51 capabilities...GM is just capitalizing on that...Pretty smart actually.

btorlv 06-23-2014 06:21 PM

For me its a good deal, The base chrome wheels are $2000 and add a wing for $500. At least with ZF1 you get the tires and a much better look then the base wheel imo. And then with the creidt union price it even makes the deal better for me.

Art-2008 06-23-2014 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Modshack (Post 1587202018)
LOL...Yeah, GM is making a killing on this one at $2K for a wheel and tire upgrade. I suspect the original Z51 buyers feel pretty smug though since they got the hardware to go along with the package for only $800 more. In reality, it seems (from my time on this forum) that most bought for the "Look"....Few IMO will ever exploit the (real) Z51 capabilities...GM is just capitalizing on that...Pretty smart actually.

:iagree: I bought a Z51 at the "old price" and I feel great

C8gman 06-23-2014 06:28 PM

Originally was going to order a non-Z51 and add the spoiler. But I really liked the look of the Z51 wheels. I lucked out in mid-May and found a dealer with a Z51 allocation. Order was accepted 5/23 and now my car is completed and on hold in BG.

Do I need all the Z51 performance mechanical parts? Probably not. But after seeing the price differential b/w a Z51 and ZF1, I am happy I was able to find and order a Z51.

Definitely a smart move on GMs part. Hopefully, they won't end up constraining ZF1 production so badly that it ends up just being another Z51 constraint scenario.

AFVETTE 06-23-2014 06:35 PM

Gonna need some badges to make sure folks know you own the "real" deal.

Matt26 06-23-2014 06:41 PM

I feel bad for the ZF1 guys since the price close to the old Z51 price, but they should be easier to get than a Z51 so it's a good option for those that like the look but can't get an allocation.

Mike Mercury 06-23-2014 06:51 PM

the ZF1 package is over a month since announced; where have you been ?

Originally Posted by Quick99 (Post 1587201918)
its an "almost Z51" designed for owners who like the look of the real deal but not the ride.

people have been upgrading Corvettes with different rims and spoilers since the beginning. Why does it matter to you as to where they buy these things from ? They are not spending your money :toetap:

Sounds to me that your Z51 makes you feel "taller" or better then the next guy. Does it bother you that much that you may no longer have this edge... as you pull into the local shopping malls parking lot?

I assumed that those wanting better cornering performance bought those options because they wanted better cornering & handling.

Zee Fake One.....
... thanks for furthering the ownership experience of your fellow Corvette enthusiasts.

themonk 06-23-2014 06:57 PM

I wonder if they'll add a ZF1 option for the Z06 so people can have the looks but not the performance.....maybe even have a fake speedo showing 230 mph.

Mike Mercury 06-23-2014 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1587202448)
I wonder if they'll add a ZF1 option for the Z06 so people can have the looks but not the performance.....

ya mean like the C6 GS?

Dave@Ciocca 06-23-2014 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1587202471)
ya mean like the C6 GS?

You beat me to it! I was in a GM meeting back in 2008 where dealers were screaming for an automatic Z06. I told them they didn't need auto Z06, they just needed a regular car with the Z06 body. The other dealers said I was crazy but GM asked me why. I told them that 75% of the people buying the Z06 were buying it for the look not the performance. If you look at the Z06 sales numbers after the Grand Sport came out you'll see I was correct.

This is the same thing. Back in November I told the factory that if they wanted to solve their Z51 constraint problem, all they had to do was make the Z51 wheel available on the non-Z51 car. The bulk of the people buying Z51 will never use it's mechanical components and are only buying it for the look.

Dave

Steve_R 06-23-2014 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by AFVETTE (Post 1587202278)
Gonna need some badges to make sure folks know you own the "real" deal.

Put a 3LT badge on it too. You know, so those with 1LT or 2LT will know you're superior to them. Oh, and definitely get an NPP badge. Or just laminate your window sticker on the hood so everyone will know what options your car has.

Yet another "My C7 with Z51 option package (it's not a separate model) is better than your C7" thread. When the Z06 comes out your Z51 will be pretty tame by comparison, that should piss some of you off pretty bad. :rofl:

Glen e 06-23-2014 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1587202842)
Yet another "My C7 with Z51 option package (it's not a separate model) is better than your C7" thread. When the Z06 comes out your Z51 will be pretty tame by comparison, that should piss some of you off pretty bad. :rofl:

It's a monthly thing, Steve.....very sad.....

Dan Dlabay 06-23-2014 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1587202399)
the ZF1 package is over a month since announced; where have you been ?

people have been upgrading Corvettes with different rims and spoilers since the beginning. Why does it matter to you as to where they buy these things from ? They are not spending your money :toetap:

Sounds to me that your Z51 makes you feel "taller" or better then the next guy. Does it bother you that much that you may no longer have this edge... as you pull into the local shopping malls parking lot?

I assumed that those wanting better cornering performance bought those options because they wanted better cornering & handling.

... thanks for furthering the ownership experience of your fellow
Corvette enthusiasts.

:iagree: When I order my 2015 C7 it will have a Z/51 spoiler and either chrome base wheels or chrome Z/51 wheels (like both) and I don't care what anybody thinks. It's my car.:cheers:

Dave@Ciocca 06-23-2014 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Dlabay (Post 1587203129)
:iagree: When I order my 2015 C7 it will have a Z/51 spoiler and either chrome base wheels or chrome Z/51 wheels (like both) and I don't care what anybody thinks. It's my car.:cheers:

Well, keep in mind that the ZF1 package allows you to get the base (silver) Z51 wheels, the black Z51 wheels or the black polished Z51 wheels but not the chrome wheels. To get the chrome Z51 wheel you will have to get the Z51 package. I don't know why, but that's the set up as it currently sits.

Dave

FEEDMESLURPIES 06-23-2014 08:33 PM

The Z51 package was the deal of the century on 2014s. Few will dispute that.

As for whether someone "uses it" or not, I've actually seen quite a few reviews on video and in print that said that it is noticeable even for daily drivers the difference and that it's a lot more of a spirited drive with the Z51. These are opinions, of course, and most people seem to be firmly in their corners for some silly reason, but there are those who don't track cars who will get enjoyment out of it if they ordered it. I certainly do not disagree with Dave though that there were many who ordered it for appearance alone. Multiple things can be true here and certainly seem to be.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, the ZF1 was a great move for GM as a half measure to allow for, as Dave said, people who wanted the appearance to get it and also to loosen up constraint on those who want the full Z51 package. It's also, most importantly for GM, a winner on the financials because as discussed it's nearly the same price as the 2014 Z51 package for hardly any of the cost to GM resulting in more profit.

I would argue that the Z51 package was priced incorrectly in 2014 and consumers benefitted from it. Those who took advantage were fortunate to do so. But few who did I doubt think themselves superior because of it, just like 3LT isn't superior to 2LT which isn't superior to 1LT. They're just choices that people made.

Bill17601 06-23-2014 08:38 PM

ZF 1 package reminds me of bras called falsies. They both just pretend to be the real thing. In my opinion of course.

Second Vette 06-23-2014 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Quick99 (Post 1587201918)
I see Chevrolet has created a new option for us to spend even more money on. Yes, its an "almost Z51" designed for owners who like the look of the real deal but not the ride.

Now this is not a bad thing, unless you paid $$$ for a real Z51 then I suspect you feel a little cheated.

And, it looks to me that the guys at GM felt a little guilty which is why they gave the new choice an RPO code of ZF1
which stands for Zee Fake One.....

I bought my Z51 back in December. Why would I feel cheated? Besides the fact that I got the Car for $2,500 under MSRP when they were hard to find even paying full boat, I beat the $3,200 March 2014 Price Increase. Timing is everything.

I guess I could be upset if I paid full MSRP (or more) before GM put a $5,000 Discount on the C7 in March for Credit Union Members, but all I can do is quote a certain lying POS Politician, "what difference does it make at this point"?

Whatever OTHER PEOPLE spend their money is nobody else's business, although we can all get a chuckle at somebody's Else's expense when certain cosmetic DIY Mods get out of control.

I've been on both sides of that, which reminds me I have to post a picture of my latest Grill mod.

As for me, I'm waiting for some cool looking Z51 Badges to hit the market. Nyah, nyah, nyah :rofl: JUST KIDDING!