CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 back up camera alert/warning sound indicators. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3495909-c7-back-up-camera-alert-warning-sound-indicators.html)

Larry Hagmans liver 07-06-2014 08:34 AM

C7 back up camera alert/warning sound indicators.

Does anyone know if the back up camera on a C7 is suppose to make alert tones when you're about to back into an object? We have a 2012 Yukon Denali and it makes the alert tones when backing up & about to hit something, but our new C7 doesn't make the alert/tones. I wish it did as I've really come to use the tones when backing up.
Just curious if the alert tones are suppose to happen.
Thanks!!

mjw930 07-06-2014 08:38 AM

No, there are no driver aids on the C7 aside from the backup camera.

Harry2 07-06-2014 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 1587294633)
No, there are no driver aids on the C7 aside from the backup camera.

Sure would be nice if there were to assist with the blind spots!

Larry Hagmans liver 07-06-2014 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by harry2 (Post 1587294652)
Sure would be nice if there were to assist with the blind spots!

Yes, it would be nice if they had the alert tones when backing up especially for the blind spots like you mentioned. I still turn and look when backing up, but there are occasions when it's nice to know how close to an object you're getting by listening to the alert tones.

I wonder if this is something Chevrolet can make happen through a software change?

harley2 07-06-2014 09:37 AM

Watch the red lines, they will let you know how close you are!:thumbs::thumbs:

Matt26 07-06-2014 09:43 AM

There are no sensors in the back bumper so it cannot be added. This was done for aesthetic reasons as those sensors are ugly.

Harlan or Tadge mentioned this in one of the early c7 videos.

~Stingray 07-06-2014 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Matt26 (Post 1587294968)
There are no sensors in the back bumper so it cannot be added. This was done for aesthetic reasons as those sensors are ugly.

That was the only reason? I feel like that was just an excuse. With technology today, they could have hidden it pretty well, IF they wanted too.

Larry/car 07-06-2014 09:53 AM

I consider the camera a wiz thing. I have played with backing into parking spaces, at this point presentation confirms I am in reverse.

ZL-1 07-06-2014 10:05 AM

:iagree:

It was made clear in seminars at the Bash that neither the designers nor most owners want to see any ugly sensors on the rear or front bumpers of a Corvette.

That said, as many C7s are sold more as personal luxury cars than as sports cars the market may demand these driver aids. If they absolutely have to be added perhaps the rear sensors could be hidden in the recessed reflector area and the front ones in the black grille.

Just please don't make them part of a package like 3LT though. Make them a free standing option so a fully optioned car can be ordered minus the sensors so you won't have to see the ugly sensors.

Larry Hagmans liver 07-06-2014 10:35 AM

Thank you for the information, everyone.
I appreciate it. :)

$$$frumnuttin' 07-06-2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Hagmans liver (Post 1587295261)
Thank you for the information, everyone.
I appreciate it. :)

...funniest user name ever on the forum!:rofl:

Glen e 07-06-2014 11:43 AM

I can see the plate in my rear view display - that's all I need as I also see the ground at that point - works every time...I've always had sensors in my BMW's - and don't mind them gone - this works fine.

When you get the car, take a 2 liter coke bottle and set it at certain distances from the car. Then you'll know how the lines work....

LIStingray 07-06-2014 12:38 PM

Maybe if the camera and red line aren't enough for a special situation, you could hire a couple of guys to stand on either side of the car and guide you with those orange coned flashlights - if they can guide in a Boeing 747, a C7 shouldn't be very hard :lol:

killascrimp 07-06-2014 01:08 PM

the cam is great, but wish they had blind spot monitor system as a option... mirror kind of small, jmo

FEEDMESLURPIES 07-06-2014 02:43 PM

You'll get a tone when you run into the object behind you, it'll sound like a crunch most likely

Larry Hagmans liver 07-06-2014 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin' (Post 1587295632)
...funniest user name ever on the forum!:rofl:

Thanks $$$frumnuttin'

I use the name with all due respect to Larry Hagman. He was one hell of an actor. RIP Mr. Hagman.

c5eddiem 07-06-2014 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ZL-1 (Post 1587295065)
:iagree:

It was made clear in seminars at the Bash that neither the designers nor most owners want to see any ugly sensors on the rear or front bumpers of a Corvette.

That said, as many C7s are sold more as personal luxury cars than as sports cars the market may demand these driver aids. If they absolutely have to be added perhaps the rear sensors could be hidden in the recessed reflector area and the front ones in the black grille.

Just please don't make them part of a package like 3LT though. Make them a free standing option so a fully optioned car can be ordered minus the sensors so you won't have to see the ugly sensors.

I would have selected that option. In addition, I think that adding front sensors would make the option priceless!

IMHO, the whole "curb alert" thing is ridiculous. We all know that Corvette owners fear the front end bash, it's hard to judge the right spot to stop. Combined front/rear sensors systems sell for about $30 on da'Bay, GM could offer them as a designed-in option and make a decent profit!

I've heard the "keeping weight down" mantra from Chevy. A good sensor system would weigh about as much as if you had a burger and fries before getting in the car :D

Pisswilly 07-06-2014 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hagmans liver (Post 1587294768)
Yes, it would be nice if they had the alert tones when backing up especially for the blind spots like you mentioned. I still turn and look when backing up, but there are occasions when it's nice to know how close to an object you're getting by listening to the alert tones.

I wonder if this is something Chevrolet can make happen through a software change?

Ain't gonna happen, you need ultra-sonic sensors in rear bumper.

v8capt 07-06-2014 06:50 PM

I agree the sensors are ugly, but they could be behind the plastic bumper. What is really needed is a factory alert system for the front bumper.

fredmills 07-07-2014 05:35 PM

How to avoid front bumper curb problem

Originally Posted by Larry Hagmans liver (Post 1587294613)
Does anyone know if the back up camera on a C7 is suppose to make alert tones when you're about to back into an object? We have a 2012 Yukon Denali and it makes the alert tones when backing up & about to hit something, but our new C7 doesn't make the alert/tones. I wish it did as I've really come to use the tones when backing up.
Just curious if the alert tones are suppose to happen.
Thanks!!

Pull into parking spot about 2 feet from curb. Jump out of car and measure height of curb with a dollar bill (it's 6"). If curb is less than 6" then you're o.k. Pull up. This works great when you park in same spot many times.