CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   I hate this clutch - it is too grabby! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3499860-i-hate-this-clutch-it-is-too-grabby.html)

Runs11s 07-13-2014 01:31 PM

I hate this clutch - it is too grabby!

I also posted this in the tech forum. This issue is ruining the ownership of this car for me.

I've owned and driven many high horsepower manual trans cars. My last one was a 600 Hp Gen IV Viper. I've driven C6Zs and even the ZR1 but NONE of the cars I've owned or driven grabs like the one in my C7!

No matter how smoothly I try to roll out the clutch pedal, it wants to grab almost all at once about 3-4" off the floor. It absolutely ruins the driving pleasure of this incredible car. This is ridiculous.

I've searched this in the forums under 'clutch' but haven't seen any other thread about this. I've talked to my dealer twice and he says it is normal.

I have about 1400 miles on my car and it has not improved since day 1.
Anyone else?

I HATE how this clutch engages. :mad:

TXArtic 07-13-2014 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Runs11s (Post 1587349862)
I also posted this in the tech forum. This issue is ruining the ownership of this car for me.

I've owned and driven many high horsepower manual trans cars. My last one was a 600 Hp Gen IV Viper. I've driven C6Zs and even the ZR1 but NONE of the cars I've owned or driven grabs like the one in my C7!

No matter how smoothly I try to roll out the clutch pedal, it wants to grab almost all at once about 3-4" off the floor. It absolutely ruins the driving pleasure of this incredible car. This is ridiculous.

I've searched this in the forums under 'clutch' but haven't seen any other thread about this. I've talked to my dealer twice and he says it is normal.

Anyone else?

I have no issues. Have you contacted the dealer to see if there is something they can adjust or if the setup is out of spec?

Runs11s 07-13-2014 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by TXArtic (Post 1587349961)
I have no issues. Have you contacted the dealer to see if there is something they can adjust or if the setup is out of spec?

I talked to them twice but both times they said it was normal, a high horsepower car, and that it would get better with time.

Well, it has not.

KenHorse 07-13-2014 02:10 PM

Mine is just fine - smooth, predictable release and engagement.

VIN 11822, 6K miles

Runs11s 07-13-2014 02:11 PM

My vin is 04651.

KenHorse 07-13-2014 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Runs11s (Post 1587349972)
I talked to them twice but both times they said it was normal, a high horsepower car, and that it would get better with time.

Well, it has not.

You need to find another dealer 'cause that one don't know s***.......

Runs11s 07-13-2014 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1587350142)

I agree.

zoomer96 07-13-2014 02:20 PM

Not normal. You may have an oil leak that has gotten on the clutch disk. Find a different dealer who will at least acknowledge that it's not normal.... and is willing to find out why.

ATX-C7 07-13-2014 02:36 PM

Sure love my automatic and can use paddle shifters anytime...

JerryU 07-13-2014 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1587350142)

Anyone else?

Doesn't sound normal. My Z51 is better than my C6. It has dual clutch plates and grabs less. With the C6 had to get used to the engagement. Found I was trying to feather the clutch which did not work. Found when I had heavy sole shoes all was fine! With the C7 need to engage fairly quickly but soft driving type shoes work fine!

SCM_Crash 07-13-2014 02:58 PM

I'm not having that issue either. Mine was a little grabby when I bought the car, but now it's perfect.

Runs11s 07-13-2014 03:05 PM

I'm calling a different dealer tomorrow.

C7HOORAY 07-13-2014 03:59 PM

I have a similar impression...

Anyone else?

My clutch does not engage gradually either, has some mild off-the-line initial chatter, and has been this way from day one. Now, at 6K, I am used to it, but my other cars (Audi and VW) are buttery smooth by comparison. I have never driven any other C7 manuals so I have no frame of reference.

Larry/car 07-13-2014 04:07 PM

See if you can drive another C7 manual. Then you will know if yours has issues.

MCO 07-13-2014 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ATX-C7 (Post 1587350288)

Cool story bro. Automatics are still lame.

Theta 07-13-2014 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MCO (Post 1587350937)
Cool story bro. Automatics are still lame.

Come on guys... not helping things here...

TEXHAWK0 07-13-2014 04:38 PM

I agree that letting the clutch out slowly only makes it worse, especially at low RPM. I have gotten used to where the friction point is so now I can let it out quicker without killing it.
I do have to admit it is not as smooth as my C5Z06.

NoOne 07-13-2014 05:05 PM

I think all of it is a completely moot point until you drive another C7.

It is either something wrong with your car or your interpretation of how the clutch catch's properly.

There is a difference between broken and not liking. Until you drive another one you will never know.

Personally I'd ask the dealer how many the tech has driven, bet it is not many.

Sin City 07-13-2014 05:31 PM

I've said the same thing. To me it does get less grabby over time though. Or, maybe I'm more used to it. It's hard to say.

It is the stickiest clutch I've ever driven and I've driven a lot of them. The first time I used the clutch I stalled the car. I haven't done that previously in 30 years.

Crossed Flags Fan 07-13-2014 05:39 PM

:iagree: :thumbs: