CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Storage Suggestions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3500431-storage-suggestions.html)

wjhgolf 07-14-2014 02:50 PM

Storage Suggestions

I will soon be putting my 2006 Coupe into storage for about 8 months - from mid-August until mid-April and it will be in a large, unheated garage with a concrete floor. In the past, I have always stored it (I bought it new) in my unheated garage with a dust cover, plugged into a trickle charger, added a few lbs to the tires and StaBil to a fresh full tank of fuel following an oil change, but the longest I've stored it has been for about 5 months and I would take it out to drive it maybe once a winter for 20 miles or so. I plan to do the same in this larger garage, including the dust cover, but I won't be driving it at all. Any other suggestions or should I be fine. Thanks!

4SUMERZ 07-14-2014 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by wjhgolf (Post 1587358160)
I will soon be putting my 2006 Coupe into storage for about 8 months - from mid-August until mid-April and it will be in a large, unheated garage with a concrete floor. In the past, I have always stored it (I bought it new) in my unheated garage with a dust cover, plugged into a trickle charger, added a few lbs to the tires and StaBil to a fresh full tank of fuel following an oil change, but the longest I've stored it has been for about 5 months and I would take it out to drive it maybe once a winter for 20 miles or so. I plan to do the same in this larger garage, including the dust cover, but I won't be driving it at all. Any other suggestions or should I be fine. Thanks!

You will be fine with the prep that you mentioned. I store mine for over 5 months, with the same prep you do, and I never start it over those months
:cheers:

dvilin 07-14-2014 03:19 PM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR (Post 1587358396)
You will be fine with the prep that you mentioned. I store mine for over 5 months, with the same prep you do, and I never start it over those months
:cheers:

mickey5 07-14-2014 04:52 PM

Here at the Jersey Shore most boats are stored from october til the following June. The one thing everbody does is fog the motor through the intake (either FI or carb engines). This coats the entire inside of the motor with a protective film. I've stored my 5.7L GM V8 powered runabout for as long as 3 years with a fogged engine which came through with no problems.

Besides fogging also plug the pipes to protect from condensation getting to the valves.

windyC6 07-14-2014 05:29 PM

Fogging coats the crank and rods and stuff ?? interesting

Red08 07-14-2014 05:34 PM

You should be fine with what you are doing.

mickey5 07-14-2014 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by windyC6 (Post 1587359333)
Fogging coats the crank and rods and stuff ?? interesting

Fogging is primarily to protect cylinder walls, rings, valves and guides. It prevents a dry start with the rings scraping cylinders. The bottom end is usually coated with engine oil which is pressurized through the bearings.

Its cheap insurance (about $5 for a can) and only takes a few minutes to perform. Google motor fogging for more info.

icntdrv55 07-14-2014 06:24 PM

Sounds like the storage is pretty varmint-proof, but it wouldn't hurt to sprinkle some mothballs around the interior and leave several baited glue traps around each tire, just in case…

Little boogers can do an awful lot of damage in a short time, and they breed….well….like rats.

Might also seek out a nearby gas station that sells pure gas, i.e., non-ethanol-containing fuel, for that last fill-up.

COMMANDER2OOO 07-14-2014 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by icntdrv55 (Post 1587359759)
Sounds like the storage is pretty varmint-proof, but it wouldn't hurt to sprinkle some mothballs around the interior and leave several baited glue traps around each tire, just in case…

Little boogers can do an awful lot of damage in a short time, and they breed….well….like rats.

Might also seek out a nearby gas station that sells pure gas, i.e., non-ethanol-containing fuel, for that last fill-up.

we have a service station here that sell pure gas 102 octane cost is 7 or 8 bucks a gallon ouchhhhhhhh :ack:

ruenvs 07-14-2014 07:02 PM

Agree with post #8. Mice/rats have been known to be a problem. Usually not but cheap insurance.

Kvothe 07-14-2014 08:47 PM

:iagree: with what others have said. I also put a box of baking soda (the same you put in the fridge) inside to help soak up any odors from being closed up for so long. I did read peppermint oil keeps mice away. I might give it a try this winter. It has to smell better than mothballs :ack:

icntdrv55 07-14-2014 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51 (Post 1587360849)
I did read peppermint oil keeps mice away. I might give it a try this winter. It has to smell better than mothballs :ack:

Ahhh. Gotta love the smell of naphtha in the spring. :rofl: