CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   On the fence... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3504603-on-the-fence.html)

CorvetteGuy86 07-22-2014 02:45 PM

On the fence...

Hey guys. I am really wanting to hear the opinions of those who have C7s and came from C6s. I love my C6, and it really doesn't have any issues other than 1) starter went out for the second time 2) needs new tires 3) needs new tint. It's an 08 M6 and my first vette, roughly 40k miles on it. It's basically a garage queen. I purchased the car when it was two years old and only had 3600 miles on it. In turn I saved around 15 grand compared to a new one. I was planning to wait a couple years on the C7 but I've got that itch and you only live once! Plus marriage is coming next year and I would assume kids shortly thereafter, so I may bite the bullet early.

So, let's here those thoughts!

Floridian 07-22-2014 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteGuy86 (Post 1587419805)
Hey guys. I am really wanting to hear the opinions of those who have C7s and came from C6s. I love my C6, and it really doesn't have any issues other than 1) starter went out for the second time 2) needs new tires 3) needs new tint. It's an 08 M6 and my first vette, roughly 40k miles on it. It's basically a garage queen. I purchased the car when it was two years old and only had 3600 miles on it. In turn I saved around 15 grand compared to a new one. I was planning to wait a couple years on the C7 but I've got that itch and you only live once! Plus marriage is coming next year and I would assume kids shortly thereafter, so I may bite the bullet early.

So, let's here those thoughts!

CG
Like you I bought my C6 (07 Vert) when it was two years old, and had 6500 miles on it. We drove it for 4 trouble free great years. Was on the fence for the C7 until I saw one up close. Early pictures and rumors soured me on it, but once it was released and I saw the real thing, had to have it. We switched from vert to coupe and no regrets. It's like my wife said, when she is sitting in her seat, with the targa top off, and looking forward, she feels like she is still in the vert. Electronics are a whole new generation and we love it. Coupe is quiet, and A6 performs great. NPP exhaust adds to the enjoyment when driving around town.
I just picked it up this morning from getting XPEL on bumper, hood, fenders, rocker panels, and top and looks great. Drove home 90 miles and decided to check gas mileage. I reset it at the shop, and ended up with 30.8 for the drive home. C6 also had great mileage. I tell folks it is our economy car, if you ignore the initial investment.
And, I got a nice trade in value, and used GMS pricing, so price wasn't quite as painful.
Great dealer and service.
Only good things to report, but I'm sure there are other opinions out there.:lurk:

-CM- 07-22-2014 02:58 PM

Since you are just starting out, I'd say keep what you have for a couple or so years, and then pick up a used C7 at a great price. When the Z06 production is going full, there should be quite a few C7 available.

Muuhaha 07-22-2014 02:58 PM

Do it with no regrets

KenHorse 07-22-2014 03:07 PM

Bought an '07 Coupe in 2008 with 18K miles on it. Took it to Bowling Green for the '09 Caravan. Mod'd it with a widebody conversion and repaint to Jet Stream Blue in 2012 (spent $11K doing so). Upgraded suspension with coil overs and ZO6 sway bars. Mild engine work with ported manifold and heads. For a C6, she was great :D

Did a 2 week tour of the Grand Canyon in 2012. Bryce Canyon, etc. with no problems. I loved the car but sold it last November with 83K troublefree miles on it.

LOVE my C7 Z51. It is so far superior to my C6 in just about every way. Looks, performance, comfort, interior design, electronics and so on.

Do it, you won't regret it :thumbs:

LIE2ME 07-22-2014 03:08 PM

I went from a 2012 Corvette coupe which was my first Corvette to a 2014 Stingray convertible and have never looked back. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 2012 coupe, but to compare it to a 2014 is well, like comparing Daisy Duke to Angelina Jolie. Daisy sure is fun in a hayloft, but Angelina will turn you every which way but loose (ask Brad). In short, no comparison. Seriously, The 2014 is generations more sophisticated in every way, driving her is like taking Cinderella to the ball, beautiful & graceful but with an engine deep down inside that burns HOT (220 degrees to be exact)...

Buy the car.

robertf97 07-22-2014 03:23 PM

I came from the 2005 2LT A4 Coupe to 2014 Z51 2LT A6 NPP Coupe. I love the interior and electronics of the 14 and the car is much more rigid with less noises, very much more refined, love the NPP. Now if you are mainly doing it for the performance increase I would just modify your C6, much cheaper.

Modshack 07-22-2014 03:31 PM

Had an '08 LS3 C6.......The C7 is far superior in most every area.
If you're just a show car cruiser, don't bother. If you're a driver the difference is huge..

CorvetteGuy86 07-22-2014 03:42 PM

Good stuff from all of you. I just need to go drive one I guess! One question I do have is with the Z51 package. I love to cruise to the beach but around town I ride my vette hard. My C6 has the Z51 package so it's all I know. I am much more of a "straight line" guy compared to someone who enjoys a good road course. I will never track the car. But, from stop light to stop light I'm on it. Does the Z51 package do anything to help in that regard? Does it help launch better or improve traction for initial acceleration?

'13GrandSport 07-22-2014 03:45 PM

Hey CorvetteGuy,

I went from a '13 GS to the '14 Stingray. It was a nice jump. I miss the GS, but the performance is light years ahead. The new car is awesome in all ways. I even decided to get into a 2015 for the new auto trans and the new paint colors. I think I am done for a while after this. Unless a new C7 GS comes along somewhere.

But back to your thing, I think you will be very happy with the new model. Just make sure you don't settle. Get what you want. LEAP FORWARD AND DON'T LOOK BACK.

Mike Mercury 07-22-2014 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteGuy86 (Post 1587419805)
I love my C6, and it really doesn't have any issues...

I see two options; keep your C6 and stil buy a C7; or just stay with your C6. First off; it's a Corvette :thumbs:

Second; it makes no sense to part with a car you like so well.

Larry/car 07-22-2014 04:02 PM

Get the new model. The base is more capable than the C6 with F55. Don't overdue the options, pick the ones that will show some return at trade time.

dwward 07-22-2014 04:07 PM

you can forget a new Corvette once you're married and certainly once a child seat is involved.

Do it now while you can, and if not for yourself, for all the young recently married guys who can only dream of owning a Corvette!

Hcjackson 07-22-2014 04:14 PM

I've got a 2013 60th anniversary 427 convertible and the 2014 Laguna Blue Stingray and they are two completely different cars with great features on both. C7 interior and electronics are superior, however I love the muscle side of the C6 I have. Bought the 427 as a collector and I drive the Stingray. Do what feels right to you. You can't go wrong either way, but maybe wait a little and save money on the C7 when the Z06 comes out because that will 2014 models on the market .

musclecar6 07-22-2014 05:17 PM

Since you're getting married next year, get the C7 now. Unless you've got tons of disposable income or your bride is a gearhead too, I'm sure sure she will have tons of uses for any discretionary income, none of which will involve a corvette.

BigJoe 07-22-2014 05:27 PM

You are in the same position I was 40+ years ago. I bought a 1970 Corvette just before I got married and drove it for 3 years before kids and family got in the way. Both my wife and I look back on those three years as some of the happiest we've had. Go for it and, hopefully, 40 years from now you too will look back on the happy Corvette times

stingraymyway 07-22-2014 06:16 PM

I was there a little over a week ago. Had been dealing with an area dealership with the thought that, I won't do it unless you they agree to my terms...........they agreed to my terms.
Half way home I knew I'd made the right choice. Had a lot of history with my '04. Will have a lot of history with my '14.

Patriot77 07-22-2014 06:29 PM

Iam older than dirt itself and can really make this easy for you. "Can you comfortably afford to upgrade at this point in your life"??? Its really just that simple.

Mdm23 07-22-2014 06:33 PM

Go for it. I just turned 30 and am married with no kids yet. I just took delivery of my C7 Z51 last week. This car blows the C6 away, technology wise. The overall refinement is also just on another level. I had an 08 Z06 for two years and I'd take this car over it any day. I got a Z51, 2LT, mag ride, npp, navigation, and red calipers. It was just over $61k out the door with supplier price. There's not a car in the world that gives you so much for that price.

Steve Snake Driver 07-22-2014 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteGuy86 (Post 1587420261)
Good stuff from all of you. I just need to go drive one I guess! One question I do have is with the Z51 package. I love to cruise to the beach but around town I ride my vette hard. My C6 has the Z51 package so it's all I know. I am much more of a "straight line" guy compared to someone who enjoys a good road course. I will never track the car. But, from stop light to stop light I'm on it. Does the Z51 package do anything to help in that regard? Does it help launch better or improve traction for initial acceleration?

Get the magride with Z51. The magride, when wheels are straight allows the front end to rise easily and rear to squat a bit...like having drag shocks. Soon as the wheels are turned some degree, the suspension starts acting more road course-like. Z51 also gives you the electronic differential which works very well for your preferred driving style.

I'd also recommend taking Chevrolet up on the discounted driving school, you may come to appreciate corners:D