CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Pfadt C/O spring - tierod contact (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3506849-pfadt-c-o-spring-tierod-contact.html)

BmoreRnsDeep 07-26-2014 08:04 PM

Pfadt C/O spring - tierod contact

I know I've seen this discussed before but cant find the thread with the solution. What is the fix for tie rod to spring contact in the rear with the pfadt single adjustable coilovers? Would a narrower spring just swap right in to prevent this? Do other coilover manufacturers also present the same issue? It POs me that this is even an issue.

RX-Ben 07-27-2014 08:17 PM

I think it is an issue on certain cars more than others.
Mine was pretty bad (w/the Pfadt doubles, Ohlin-based). I used a zip rear bumpsteer kit, offset the mount to the rear (as you'll find in search results) and spaced out my rear pfadt light rate bar to keep the bar/links away from the tie rod (spacing varies on the bar, I needed to push mine back 3/4" and use longer LCA and anti-sway mount bolts).
There still isn't much clearance, but no issues.

BmoreRnsDeep 07-28-2014 07:47 PM

I really am thinking about going back to stock in the back with the CO in the front. Or finding a set of backs that don't do this. Is this a problem with other makes?

RX-Ben 07-28-2014 08:18 PM

I haven't tried the LG's, they might be slightly better. There isn't much room (without doing something to create more room) due to the OEM packaging.

Olitho 07-28-2014 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by BmoreRnsDeep (Post 1587466512)
I really am thinking about going back to stock in the back with the CO in the front. Or finding a set of backs that don't do this. Is this a problem with other makes?

I have one rear T1 monoleaf left over in my stock of used parts....

geerookie 07-28-2014 11:19 PM

Is this what you are looking for?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...nce-issue.html

froggy47 07-28-2014 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Olitho (Post 1587466978)
I have one rear T1 monoleaf left over in my stock of used parts....

:rofl:

Horseshow Manager 07-30-2014 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by RX-Ben (Post 1587466746)
I haven't tried the LG's, they might be slightly better. There isn't much room (without doing something to create more room) due to the OEM packaging.

LG's will hit in the rear also:-(
No where close to the drive boot.
They didn't act like it would be an issue?? I did notice the car handles much better with another person in the co-pilot seat.

BmoreRnsDeep 07-30-2014 01:10 PM

I don't know about anybody else but this really pisses me off. Why even sell the kit as is if it hits other components?

Olitho 07-30-2014 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by BmoreRnsDeep (Post 1587479572)
I don't know about anybody else but this really pisses me off. Why even sell the kit as is if it hits other components?

It depends upon what components you have. My shocks clear the OEM tie-rod ends, but it does not clear my after-market hardware that is much larger. When you start modding your car it is no longer OEM spec and clearances. We become the designers and race mechanics once the first mod is made.

Horseshow Manager 07-31-2014 08:48 AM

Right, but---

You are correct when you start changing things you take on some of that responsibility , except when you purchase AND have the shop install all of the pieces! They SHOULD tell you that!!

BmoreRnsDeep 07-31-2014 09:48 AM

exactly and just changing to coilovers intended for this specific car you would expect them to fit right. It isn't that big a deal that you should have to alter every part of the suspension to make them fit.

briannutter1 07-31-2014 10:24 AM

I'm a big believer in really listening to the shop that I buy things from. They earn their profit margin by keeping me out of trouble. They've got the most experience on installs and what works and installs right regardless of what's popular on the forums. A lot of people often fail to point out flaws from products from otherwise good companies. I think they're either ashamed a bit or don't want to get into a confrontation with the only people in the position to help them.

I come from the engine side of things, so this also goes for engine parts, clutches, etc. Everyone knows the Mondo Stage 4 cam makes the most power judging by the cars on the fast list, but doesn't mean a damn thing if the tuner can't make it run right below 3000 rpm. Then it's the tuner that gets blamed for the customer's bad judgement based on 1/2 truths on the forums.

dagon138 08-01-2014 02:18 AM

I have their original v1 coil overs and it was not an issue.