CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP) Who runs them? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3510193-tires-michelin-pilot-sport-a-s-plus-zp-who-runs-them.html)

Scruff Vette 08-02-2014 09:51 AM

Tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP) Who runs them?

Looking for feedback on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP tires from those how have or had them on their C6. I have a 2008 coupe with Z51 suspension.

Trashed the stock GY Supercar tires at 11K miles and have been running Firestone Wide Oval Firehawk RF for the last 22K miles. They were very good tires but now need replacement. I have retired and will be using the Vette for travel/touring much more than in have in the past which may include a variety of weather conditions, hence the anticipated need for the all season (A/S) rating. I value street performance, but do not run my car in competition.

Any info about the Michelin's is appreciated. Thanks.

terradriller 08-02-2014 10:01 AM

I bought a set of these tires 3 years ago for my 06 vert. They now have 25,000 miles on them and they are great. New they have 10/32" tread, currently the front tires are at 8/32" and the rrear are at 6/32" (go figure ha). They ride great, handle great, no noise and great in the rain. I would buy another set again

oldgoat99 08-02-2014 10:08 AM

I had them on my 2009 w/z51. My only comparison was with the original runcraps. I liked them. I think I paid about $150 more for them than if I'd gone with Firestones.

SouthBaySurfer 08-02-2014 10:11 AM

I put them on my '08 coupe two years ago, and I am very satisfied with them. They're a little quieter than the stock GY's, and the improvement in cold weather traction is most noticeable. They also hooked up very well at Englishtown last weekend.

Walt White Coupe 08-02-2014 10:14 AM

They're a little quieter than the stock GY's

I'd say that's an understatement. They are a LOT quieter and seem "soft" for a runflat. I like them.

Dif 08-02-2014 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by terradriller (Post 1587500385)
I bought a set of these tires 3 years ago for my 06 vert. They now have 25,000 miles on them and they are great. New they have 10/32" tread, currently the front tires are at 8/32" and the rrear are at 6/32" (go figure ha). They ride great, handle great, no noise and great in the rain. I would buy another set again

:iagree: have a set on my 09 Coupe with over 7,000 miles on them now and they still look like new.
Work great IMO with very predictable feedback in all Temperatures and Wet or Dry road conditions.
Great all around tire for the Street :auto:

Scuba Ghost 08-02-2014 11:05 AM

When my OEM Goodyears are done that's what I'm putting on.

cclive 08-02-2014 01:08 PM

I have them on one set of wheels and put them on for the winter...mainly cold temps, not driven in snow. They are great tires...great wear and good in cold temps and rain. I have the C7 tire, Pilot SuperSport runflat on the other set of wheels for summer use. Ultimate grip.:thumbs:

jovette 08-02-2014 02:04 PM

I replaced OEM GYs with the Pilot Sport A/S ZPs on my 2000 coupe......a great improvement in all aspects of ride, noise, traction, wish I could get them in sizes to fit my 427 convertible.

C6Greg 08-02-2014 03:02 PM

I've had the Michelins for three years. They run quieter and offer better traction than the Goodyears. Mine is a 2007 Z51 M6 Vert.

joliett 08-02-2014 04:46 PM

3 sets of Michelins...love them. the c6 with these tires is unbelievable. rain or dry. quiet too. car drives on rails. :cheers:

Oh yea..I have 103,00 miles on my beauty. It is a great unbelievable car. Still looks new...my Porsche alignment mechanic how aligns the C6 also, couldn’t believe how the C6 looks brand new.

langhorne_bill 08-02-2014 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1587501619)
I have them on one set of wheels and put them on for the winter...mainly cold temps, not driven in snow. They are great tires...great wear and good in cold temps and rain. I have the C7 tire, Pilot SuperSport runflat on the other set of wheels for summer use. Ultimate grip.:thumbs:

CClive,

Coy you notice any difference in tire noise between the A/S and the C7 Pilot Super Sport?

Thanks, Bill

pmt67usa 08-02-2014 05:24 PM

I got 45k on the original Goodyears on my 2002 C5...replaced them with the Michelin A/S ZP's. Much quieter but didn't wear as well..curious. I've got the Firestone Wide Oval RFT on my 2009 Z51...got 25k on the original Goodyears. The Firestones are also much quieter and smoother than the Goodyears...very pleased so far.

cclive 08-02-2014 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by langhorne_bill (Post 1587502961)
CClive,

Coy you notice any difference in tire noise between the A/S and the C7 Pilot Super Sport?

Thanks, Bill

No, I really don't notice any difference in tire noise...although, to be fair, tire noise is less a factor in a Vert than in a coupe. Both tires are much quieter than the original Goodyears.:thumbs:

GaryPitts 08-02-2014 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88 (Post 1587500819)
When my OEM Goodyears are done that's what I'm putting on.

:iagree:

HOXXOH 08-02-2014 08:13 PM

I may be a little more performance minded than the average. I've had the OEM GY's, then 2 sets of Invos, and now Bridgestone SO4's. Midway through the 2 set of Invos, I had about 10K miles with the Mich A/S RF's. Although they seemed OK, the compound is a bit too hard for occasional aggressive driving. I was happy to get back to finish off the Invos and sold the A/S. The current SO4's stick a little better than the Invos and are much better when wet.

For a road trip car not driven hard, the Michelins should be just fine.

franman69 08-02-2014 11:39 PM

I had these on my 07 Z51 car when I purchased it. They are wonderful RF tires.... I would use them again in a flash. I run INVOs now because I got slightly wider wheels (TSW Nurburgring) and wanted to run wider profile rubber. The Pilot A/S are only available in a very few sizes....The INVOs have been great so far this year BTW..

ExRedRacer 08-03-2014 02:02 AM

I replaced my original runcraps with these Michelin's a few months ago and have been very pleased.

I live in the Pacific Northwest where the streets are wet and it's in the 30's and 40's for months at a time. I needed a tire that would grip in those conditions and they have not let me down. I bought them in winter and the difference in performance between what I had just gotten rid of and these new ones was tremendous.

I probably gave up some performance in high speed summer driving but all things considered, it's a compromise I was willing to make for superior all-around driving under normal conditions.

Highly recommend.

mbsigman 08-03-2014 02:04 AM

Replaced the OEM with the Michelins at around 16000 miles. The Michelins are far and away a superior tire. Much quieter, much smoother, all around better performance. My mileage went up approximately 1.5 mpg with the Michelins.

Told a friend (fellow Vette owner) and he switched as well; he's also extremely pleased.

MG120 08-03-2014 01:44 PM

I replaced the GY with these at 24k miles. Now have 50k miles and still have another 10k worth of tread left. When the time comes, a new set will go on again.