CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   78 interior question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3520745-78-interior-question.html)

Brodalick 08-22-2014 08:52 AM

78 interior question

I am new to the corvette world and recently purchased a 1978 with little to no interior. Seats and there, but other than that the rest needs to be trashed. Door panels, carpet, headliner, etc. I know the cost to redo the interior all depends on how deep your pockets are, but is there a general rule of thumb to completely redo the interior? It is red now and I would like to stay with that color.

Easy Mike 08-22-2014 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Brodalick (Post 1587654096)
...is there a general rule of thumb to completely redo the interior?...

Rule of Thumb? No. My advice would be to check with the aftermarket providers who give a discount on the purchase of a complete interior package. Saves you money.

:thumbs:

BLUDICE 08-22-2014 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1587654252)
Rule of Thumb? No. My advice would be to check with the aftermarket providers who give a discount of the purchase of a complete interior package. Saves you money.

x2, x3

Brodalick 08-22-2014 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1587654252)
Rule of Thumb? No. My advice would be to check with the aftermarket providers who give a discount of the purchase of a complete interior package. Saves you money.

Thanks. I saw where joes86vette redid his for around $2000. If I could do that I would be extremely happy.

Dodosmike 08-22-2014 10:47 AM

Yep. browse the vendors.

If its #722 red (bright) your after I have a mint (used) glovebox door we can make a deal on...lol.

I had a whole #722 interior except for the carpet. Parted it all out over that last 2-3 years. Last thing left is the glove box door and I'm sick of looking at it.

dodosmike:canadaflag:

edit:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-and-more.html

kanvasman 08-22-2014 06:07 PM

I agree with the one vendor get the discount deal. I think you are in the ballpark for the seat covers door panels and carpet. Where the budget might get busted will be little things like ttop liners, dash pads, GLOVE BOX DOORS etc. Then you ight as weel get heat sound deadener for under the carpet. Draw up a budget and stick to it once you prooritize. Great to do it all at once, but there will be time and money later.The prices for these will add up pretty fast. Check the ebay craigslist and you might find a deal. Learn how to dye the hard pieces the color you want. Just know the prices of the new stuff from vendors, sometimes these online deals aren't really deals at all. Let's see some pix of your progress.

Tim 1973 08-22-2014 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by kanvasman (Post 1587658080)
I agree with the one vendor get the discount deal. I think you are in the ballpark for the seat covers door panels and carpet. Where the budget might get busted will be little things like ttop liners, dash pads, GLOVE BOX DOORS etc. Then you ight as weel get heat sound deadener for under the carpet. Draw up a budget and stick to it once you prooritize. Great to do it all at once, but there will be time and money later.The prices for these will add up pretty fast. Check the ebay craigslist and you might find a deal. Learn how to dye the hard pieces the color you want. Just know the prices of the new stuff from vendors, sometimes these online deals aren't really deals at all. Let's see some pix of your progress.

I'm having to redo my entire interior, it has cost me much more then 2K, door panels alone are 800.00. My Interior just fell apart as I was removing it. I need 4 more pieces and I will have all of it.

7T1vette 08-23-2014 12:01 PM

Yes.

Rule #1 regarding interior refurb:

Repair and recolor any and all existing interior pieces if at all possible!!!

Minor cracks/tears/holes can be fixed by cutting away any loose, protruding vinyl edges and filling with a polyester body putty. When the putty begins to set up, use a toothpick to etch some matching grain into the surface so it will match the rest of the part.

Recolor using a good quality vinyl dye.....NOT PAINT!!! SEM liquid dye purchased and mixed at a local auto body paint supply store [not auto parts store] can be sprayed with your equipment or a $10 PreVal bottle sprayer with great results. As long as you clean the parts with detergent, rinse and dry thoroughly, you will get parts that look like new. And, being the original factory parts, they will actually FIT!!!