CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Events (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events-97/)
-   -   Unheard of development from GM Canada (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events/3524262-unheard-of-development-from-gm-canada.html)

TOVetteFan 08-28-2014 03:44 PM

Unheard of development from GM Canada

Due to limited production allocation, a quantity of 2014 Model Year Corvette ‘sold’ orders will not be built.

As such, we are pleased to announce Price Protection for eligible customers with an unbuilt ‘sold’ 2014 MY Corvette order in the system for an equivalent 2015 MY Corvette.

Note – price increases were only taken at the model level – individual option prices have not changed and are therefore not eligible for price protection. The price protection amount is net of new standard equipment.

chelseavette 08-28-2014 04:33 PM

which means what?..... $1,000??

CdnVetteOwner 08-28-2014 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by TOVetteFan (Post 1587703075)
Due to limited production allocation, a quantity of 2014 Model Year Corvette ‘sold’ orders will not be built.

As such, we are pleased to announce Price Protection for eligible customers with an unbuilt ‘sold’ 2014 MY Corvette order in the system for an equivalent 2015 MY Corvette.

Note – price increases were only taken at the model level – individual option prices have not changed and are therefore not eligible for price protection. The price protection amount is net of new standard equipment.

TOVetteFan 08-28-2014 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CdnVetteOwner (Post 1587703449)

Sorry, had someone in my office, didn't get to add details..

GM Canada has announced that anyone with a sold 2014 Corvette Order that was unable to get the car do to availability limits, is able to order a 2015 model at the 2014 base price. This translates into savings of $1500-2500, which is nice, but I think it is the gesture itself that has value. This has NEVER been done by General Motors on a broad scale, and is a recognition of the fact that Canadian Corvette buyers have had to deal with issues beyond their control.

Well done, GM...

CdnVetteOwner 08-28-2014 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by TOVetteFan (Post 1587703517)
Sorry, had someone in my office, didn't get to add details..

GM Canada has announced that anyone with a sold 2014 Corvette Order that was unable to get the car do to availability limits, is able to order a 2015 model at the 2014 base price. This translates into savings of $1500-2500, which is nice, but I think it is the gesture itself that has value. This has NEVER been done by General Motors on a broad scale, and is a recognition of the fact that Canadian Corvette buyers have had to deal with issues beyond their control.

Well done, GM...

However this begs the question: what are the chances that this will happen again to our 2015 orders? Given that there are fewer allotments in Canada, what are the chances we will be out of luck and have to wait to 2016?

Hopefully that doesn't happen.

TOVetteFan 08-28-2014 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by CdnVetteOwner (Post 1587703570)
However this begs the question: what are the chances that this will happen again to our 2015 orders? Given that there are fewer allotments in Canada, what are the chances we will be out of luck and have to wait to 2016?

Hopefully that doesn't happen.

I think the allotment issue is being overblown by some dealers. In 2014, our initial allotment numbers were also low, but as the year progressed, we continued to get additional allotments. The end result was that most dealers received significantly more than they were originally told to expect, in some cases double... GM's initial allotment notification this year stated as much as well, that it was a preliminary assessment, not a final number. I would be very, very surprised and disappointed if GM Canada received fewer cars than last year. What may happen, to some extent, is that some of the smaller dealers that did not get a car at all last year, or only 1, may get an extra car, at the expense of a large volume dealer. Multiply this by 50 smaller dealers, and that is 50 cars pulled out of the initial allotments for the larger dealers, who are doing most of the business. This is why those dealers are reporting allotment reductions, it doesn't mean that GM Canada is getting fewer vehicles, just the distribution curve is being smoothed out... And then extra allotment, as it comes available, will be distributed to those larger dealers through the year to help them achieve their numbers.

FivePointFarms 08-28-2014 05:41 PM

What that says to me is ...serious production problems at the plant...I would never buy first year...does not sound good.

20 years tier 1 supplier.:thumbs:

TOVetteFan 08-28-2014 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by FivePointFarms (Post 1587703874)
What that says to me is ...serious production problems at the plant...I would never buy first year...does not sound good.

20 years tier 1 supplier.:thumbs:

GM US got pricing out early, and held the line on 2014 pricing, for 3 weeks, to allow their dealers to order 2015 cars for those that didn't get their 2014's, then raised prices by $1000 across the board. GM Canada didn't get their pricing out quick enough to offer the same thing, so this is their version, and it doesn't require you to decide right away, although it is prudent.

How this says anything about production problems, I am not sure... But, sure OK...

FivePointFarms 08-28-2014 06:15 PM

GM are whores and every order not delivered is a lost sale as people will not wait. GM has no reason to restrict allocation other than production problems at the plant. Clearly the plant can not deliver.

Lets not forget poor management and poor quality lead GM to bankruptcy and it still suffers from these same problems. The tax payers got suckered into a bail out that never should have happened.

Enjoy your Chevy's...

TOVetteFan 08-28-2014 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by FivePointFarms (Post 1587704080)
GM are whores and every order not delivered is a lost sale as people will not wait. GM has no reason to restrict allocation other than production problems at the plant. Clearly the plant can not deliver.

Lets not forget poor management and poor quality lead GM to bankruptcy and it still suffers from these same problems. The tax payers got suckered into a bail out that never should have happened.

Enjoy your Chevy's...

Allocation is a function of plant capacity, and demand, as well as sales history. GM builds between 30-40,000 Corvettes per year, depending on demand. Not because there are problems at the plant, but because they do not want to run a second shift.

Appreciate your view point, especially the criticism of GM's quality. As a 20 year supplier, I would certainly assume that you would be in a position to have seen the problem firsthand.

:cheers:

FivePointFarms 08-29-2014 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by TOVetteFan (Post 1587705242)
Not because there are problems at the plant, but because they do not want to run a second shift.

Please consider how ridiculous your statement sounds, continue to sugar coat the problem anyway you want. Just look at all the quality problems in C7 section and then reconsider your statement noted above.

I don't expect retailers to be in the loop and there is nothing you can do about it. You have to sell whatever HQ tells you.

Enjoy the long week end.:thumbs:

CanadianVetster 08-29-2014 08:11 AM

According to 2014 production number of over 37200 cars produced, almost a record number, that does not match the above statements about production issues.
Sold and undelivered cars seems to suggest that demand was higher then capacity to produce.
The dream problem for most businesses.

CanadianVetster 08-29-2014 08:17 AM

Also note that tax payers did not lose a penny in the bailout as the value of the share buy back was greater then the bailout money. Additionally the jobs and income taxes paid by auto industry is undeniable. Do I think GM is great?
Not so much... But the bailout was the right economic decision.
But what that has to do with the C7 is unclear to me? :willy:

squalo3 08-29-2014 08:30 AM

GM Oshawa went through the same issues back in 2009/10 when the Camaro came back to life.
They added as many shifts as req'd to fullfill the orders, they had a few quality glitches, resolved them before a majority of the product got out, and did so successfully.

I don't care who you are, or what product you offer, if you get into a position of supply and demand, you have to take what ever steps necessary to bring that product to your customers...that's just good bussinss sense.

It's easy to critisize GM for how they run the company, and I agree that they had their issues in the past...especially at the top which was running them into the ground.
Remember, that it was the U.S. gov't that cleaned house at GM U.S. and saved the company, because no one else had the nerve to do so.

There is NO MANUFACTURER on this planet that runs a perfect company, and anyone would be a fool to think otherwise.

Let's be gratefull that manufacturers are taking a more positive appraoch in this day and age of every aspect of their business, whether you agree with it or not.

FivePointFarms 08-29-2014 08:57 AM

To suggest the tax payers have been paid back is a joke. That is what GM wants the public to think.

And the fact that the Obama stole the rights of the bond holders security...the GOV stole the company from the secured creditors (bond holders)...I hope will never be repeated again. Understand this fact and you realize why so many are livid with Obama and anybody that voted for him and his Chicago thugs.

Do some research and understand what really happened when GM went bust....:willy:

We should have never bailed them out and we all would be better off.

CanadianVetster 08-29-2014 02:24 PM

I think you should take your soap box elsewhere.

P.S. No Canadian ever voted for Obama

FivePointFarms 08-29-2014 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianVetster (Post 1587710397)
I think you should take your soap box elsewhere.

Don't let the facts get in the way.

P.S. No Canadian ever voted for Obama

How is that relevant?

I was addressing the bankruptcy of GM and how the US GOV stole ownership from the secured bond holders...it is kinda important

TOVetteFan 08-30-2014 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by FivePointFarms (Post 1587710548)
How is that relevant?

I was addressing the bankruptcy of GM and how the US GOV stole ownership from the secured bond holders...it is kinda important

Oil companies have "stolen" oil from the people of the countries that controlled it for decades, does that mean you ride a bicycle everywhere?

As to relevance, not sure how your rant is in any way relevant to GM Canada offering price protection to buyers of some cars...

Please find your way to www.tinfoilhat.net or something similar, instead of hijacking this thread....

Finally, after 15 years, I actually get to try out the ignore feature...:thumbs:

corrado 09-01-2014 10:43 PM

To FIVEPOINTFARMS, do you even own a Vette?!? Not that you need to to be on this forum, but it seems you hate GM so much, telling us to "enjoy our Chevys" ("I have and am enjoying the hell out of my last 3, thanks !)

Your profile says you own a DODGE Viper, and you are ragging on GM quality? Thats a good one.

Seems like most of what you write here is negative.

FivePointFarms 09-05-2014 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by TOVetteFan (Post 1587715414)
Oil companies have "stolen" oil from the people of the countries that controlled it for decades, does that mean you ride a bicycle everywhere?

As to relevance, not sure how your rant is in any way relevant to GM Canada offering price protection to buyers of some cars...

Please find your way to www.tinfoilhat.net or something similar, instead of hijacking this thread....

Finally, after 15 years, I actually get to try out the ignore feature...:thumbs:

Dave:

As a 10 plus year member of CFOT and owner of several corvettes and I hope at least one more one day....

As per CFOT, " only Nancy boys and folks without testicles use the ignore feature. Good Luck with that!!

:canadaflag: