CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Climate Control Repair (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3532127-climate-control-repair.html)

Ozzstar 09-12-2014 05:54 PM

Climate Control Repair

I repaired the climate control head on my '93 and made a video of it. Saved lots of money and it was a fairly simple repair. Enjoy and share the knowledge!! Take it easy - Ozz

Heysailor 09-12-2014 10:27 PM

:party::party:

Good video Ozz... I cleaned the unit in my 96 a couple years ago and it is a fairly easy job as your video shows. Just have to take your time and be gentle...

Saved me about $425 vs the dealer cost... Anyone following your video should be OK. Thx.

Ozzstar 09-13-2014 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Heysailor (Post 1587819363)
:party::party:

Good video Ozz... I cleaned the unit in my 96 a couple years ago and it is a fairly easy job as your video shows. Just have to take your time and be gentle...

Saved me about $425 vs the dealer cost... Anyone following your video should be OK. Thx.

Thanks sailor. I make videos to help others struggle less and $ave money. Nevermind having the satisfaction of fixing something themselves and having it DONE RIGHT! Take it easy- Ozz

pifo1964 09-15-2014 03:42 PM

Thanks a lot for the video!!!

Iīm just having those problems; AC buttons usually work fine, but simetimes they didnīt.
The other day I could not turn off the AC and a couple of days after that when I started the engine of course it was still running, but at that moment I could shut it off.
I was thinking that I had to change the AC head, and living outside US would be an expensive problem.
Can you tell me if I must disconect the battery or the fuse to do this or it is not necessary?

headcheese 09-15-2014 09:49 PM

thanks so much. gonna attempt this soon. you make it look easy!

DRidgeway 09-16-2014 11:21 AM

Thanks for the great video.
This will be a nice winter project for me while staring outside at the snow.

Ozzstar 09-16-2014 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by pifo1964 (Post 1587837118)
Thanks a lot for the video!!!

Iīm just having those problems; AC buttons usually work fine, but simetimes they didnīt.
The other day I could not turn off the AC and a couple of days after that when I started the engine of course it was still running, but at that moment I could shut it off.
I was thinking that I had to change the AC head, and living outside US would be an expensive problem.
Can you tell me if I must disconect the battery or the fuse to do this or it is not necessary?

You are welcome for the video. There is no need to disconnect the battery for this repair. Take care - Ozz

skyhawk50 09-16-2014 12:13 PM

Nice video, that will be my next project. In the Spring, I replaced the micro switches in my info center with parts from Radio Shack and saved a ton of money. C4's are almost as much fun to work on as drive. (almost)

murraybob 09-16-2014 12:42 PM

Great video! I wouldn't have had the guts to tear into that control panel but after seeing how to do it I will be able to when it starts to act up. I have been dreading the time the climate control starts to fail.

1993C4LT1 09-16-2014 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by murraybob (Post 1587843607)
Great video! I wouldn't have had the guts to tear into that control panel but after seeing how to do it I will be able to when it starts to act up. I have been dreading the time the climate control starts to fail.

It's easy! I did it on my first C4 when I was like 17 or 18. So no need to be afraid.:thumbs: Wow, they charge $425 at the dealer?:crazy:

murraybob 09-16-2014 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1 (Post 1587843755)
It's easy! I did it on my first C4 when I was like 17 or 18. So no need to be afraid.:thumbs: Wow, they charge $425 at the dealer?:crazy:

Yep! Now that I have seen the video, I can believe that.

pifo1964 09-16-2014 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ozzstar (Post 1587843141)
You are welcome for the video. There is no need to disconnect the battery for this repair. Take care - Ozz

Thanks Ozz!!
I love this forum, great information and very nice people.

Ozzstar 09-17-2014 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ozzstar (Post 1587817669)
I repaired the climate control head on my '93 and made a video of it. Saved lots of money and it was a fairly simple repair. Enjoy and share the knowledge!! Take it easy - Ozz

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!! I'll keep making more videos as things keep breaking on the Vette. lol My youtube channel has many types of repairs on all sorts of cars. Subscribe to my channel and you won"t miss a thing. It's free to get a Ytube account, just like this great forum and you can comment and give the thumbs up (like button). Hell, you could even start making your own videos about your talent or interests!

summerst 09-18-2014 08:55 AM

You mention at 6:28 that the head unit should be pointing down but did not mention why. For those of you attempting this repair, the reason it needs to point downward is that all the buttons in the control head will fall out if its inverted.
Video is good overall. Now, wouldn't it be great if he did one to replace the heater core!

Ozzstar 09-19-2014 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by summerst (Post 1587857686)
You mention at 6:28 that the head unit should be pointing down but did not mention why. For those of you attempting this repair, the reason it needs to point downward is that all the buttons in the control head will fall out if its inverted.
Video is good overall. Now, wouldn't it be great if he did one to replace the heater core!

Why ask why? Just do it. lol Yeah, keep the buttons from falling out and causing more work and time resulting in wasted valuable Corvette driving fun!!

ghoastrider1 09-20-2014 09:24 AM

. C4's are almost as much fun to work on as drive. (almost)[/QUOTE]

I keep telling myself that now that I am old and fat.

garygross 09-17-2016 01:53 PM

Climate Control Repair

Originally Posted by Ozzstar (Post 1587817669)

http://youtu.be/KBeqA1n9q9A

Enjoyed the video OZZ - do you know of a way to check out the controller while it's out of the dash to insure that it's working properly?

Gary Gross

Ozzstar 09-19-2016 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by garygross (Post 1593077041)
Enjoyed the video OZZ - do you know of a way to check out the controller while it's out of the dash to insure that it's working properly?

Gary Gross

A visual inspection of the capacitors and solder joints can be done. Personally i would probably replace them all while it was out. The repair kit is priced reasonably

TomKatC4 09-19-2016 12:57 PM

Perfect timing, my "temp set" button started to act up yesterday. Hopefully, this will fix it!