CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Finally happened to me (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3537855-finally-happened-to-me.html)

BROCKYJACK 09-24-2014 09:18 AM

Finally happened to me

Tuesday morning I went out and started my 2011GS to go to work and immediately noticed a rough idle. Then engine light came on and 'service traction control system' message appeared. I am saying 'WTF'. I am a bout three minutes from my local Chevy dealership. The owner is a friend and my step son is a service writer. He sees me pull in and comes out to talk. After relaying the issue he pops the hood and immediately spots a plug wire off on the passenger side. He points out the corrosion on the wire in the boot and explains that they now use plastic plug clips instead of metal and they get brittle and break. He recommends replacing the plug wires at a deal price of $85 and he will put them on no charge. Also informed that the new wires will have a lifetime warranty. So....I found factory wires on Ebay for $45+$6 and lots of after market choices. Should not have to replace plug wires at 21k miles but if I have to do it should I go factory or quality aftermarket like Accel, MDS or ZZP? Funny that I have read about plug wires coming loose on the forum and how you should check them but it never even occurred to me that was the problem. Anyway jus asking for plug wire opinions. The car is a stock DD.

Vettereturned 09-24-2014 09:23 AM

If it was me... I'd snap the plug wire back on and call it a day. Wires should be good for much long than 21K miles as you'd mentioned.

Don-Vette 09-24-2014 09:30 AM

I swapped mine out for the MSD wires about $65 don't forget to add a dab of dielectric grease inside the boot first!

wayback 09-24-2014 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Don-Vette (Post 1587898409)
I swapped mine out for the MSD wires about $65 don't forget to add a dab of dielectric grease inside the boot first!

I did too. Also added heat boots to protect them from my LG headers.

VET4LES 09-24-2014 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vettereturned (Post 1587898343)
If it was me... I'd snap the plug wire back on and call it a day. Wires should be good for much long than 21K miles as you'd mentioned.

:iagree:

AddisonD 09-24-2014 03:40 PM

On the other hand, it is a three year old car in a hot humid climate.

I would have gone for the new wires for under $100, installed free, with lifetime warranty, done by friends and family, while-I'm-already-in-there, option.

Guard Dad 09-24-2014 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by AddisonD (Post 1587901481)

I would have gone for the new wires for under $100, installed free, with lifetime warranty, done by friends and family, while-I'm-already-in-there, option.

Have your step son do it! It's a fair price and guaranteed.

ben dover 09-25-2014 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by AddisonD (Post 1587901481)

^This.^