CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   opinions on wide body conversions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3542571-opinions-on-wide-body-conversions.html)

donwil 10-03-2014 07:23 PM

opinions on wide body conversions

went to a show the other day and there was a 06 vette with the wide front and rear fenders. No Z06/GS front bumper. Hood was up and of course it had a stock LS2,no mods of any kind. I didn't like it and I'm not sure why cause I love the Z06 and GS bodies. It just seemed to be a poser. None of the goodies that come with the Z06/GS. A fair amount of cash was spent to make it kind of like something it wasn't and that is what bugged me I guess. Of course only vette people would even notice the changes. Anyway, I am curious what others views and opinions on this are. As always,its their car and they can do what they like. Just not for me. Let me know what you think.:cheers:

vette217 10-03-2014 07:35 PM

I have a 05 base and I'm seriously considering doing a supervettes ZR6X body kit. If I'm going to do a wide body I'm going all out. I'm already buried in my Vette..might as well finish it off.

BWF07 10-03-2014 08:26 PM

I have never seen the wide body front fenders with out the Z06/GS front bumper. The front fenders are wider then the stock C6 front bumper. Unless there is a kit out there that is designed to fit the stock bumper or he had a body shop mod them to fit.
I have an '07 with just the rear wide body parts. In this case they do fit the stock rear bumper as they are the same for the base/Z06/GS. The wide body conversion is a very popular mod. Many just do teh rear, but I have seem a lot with the Z06 look as well as the GS look also a few ZR1 conversions. I f you do the complete conversion, just don't put the Z06 fender badgers on or the GS badge.

2006c6keller 10-04-2014 01:19 AM

Does it!

Does it make it run any faster? Then not, it is a poser. Period!

Wetrudgeon 10-04-2014 08:24 AM

We own a '11 GS and very much like the wide body look of the car. But with the base LS3 motor, we suppose ours too is to some degree a "poser."

Then again, the LS3 is making plenty enough bhp to pose right past most other cars on the road.

We trudge on (posing).

BWF07 10-04-2014 09:21 AM

Do what you want. Don't worry about the forums Poser and Badge police. They are just a handful of A&& Holes that have nothing better to do then tell other what they demand.

wayback 10-04-2014 10:50 AM

I like the look of a wide body conversion..want to do it. But just seems like a awful lot of money for what you get. Just can't justify 5K for a few inches more rear tire.

As long as there are no badges it is not a poser.

ZR1Cat 10-04-2014 11:06 AM

If I had a base model and wanted a wide body, I would forgo the conversion cost. Rather, I would sell my base and buy a wide body model.

donwil 10-04-2014 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1587967177)
I have never seen the wide body front fenders with out the Z06/GS front bumper. The front fenders are wider then the stock C6 front bumper. Unless there is a kit out there that is designed to fit the stock bumper or he had a body shop mod them to fit.
I have an '07 with just the rear wide body parts. In this case they do fit the stock rear bumper as they are the same for the base/Z06/GS. The wide body conversion is a very popular mod. Many just do teh rear, but I have seem a lot with the Z06 look as well as the GS look also a few ZR1 conversions. I f you do the complete conversion, just don't put the Z06 fender badgers on or the GS badge.

It probably had the Z06 bumper and I just didnt remember seeing it. I know you are right about this. Sorry for the mistake. Totally agree with you on the badges.

donwil 10-04-2014 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wetrudgeon (Post 1587969315)
We own a '11 GS and very much like the wide body look of the car. But with the base LS3 motor, we suppose ours too is to some degree a "poser."

Then again, the LS3 is making plenty enough bhp to pose right past most other cars on the road.

We trudge on (posing).

I dont see the GS as a "poser" cause the wide body and front are part of the stock package. Everyone knows its the LS3 and includes other items as well. It isnt trying to appear as something it isn't.

donwil 10-04-2014 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat (Post 1587970204)
If I had a base model and wanted a wide body, I would forgo the conversion cost. Rather, I would sell my base and buy a wide body model.

:iagree:

donwil 10-04-2014 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1587969553)
Do what you want. Don't worry about the forums Poser and Badge police. They are just a handful of A&& Holes that have nothing better to do then tell other what they demand.

Not trying to be an axx hole. If someone likes the look :cool:. I just couldn't spend the money for what you get. Then again I would put some HRE wheels on if I could afford them so I guess I am a bit of a hypocrite:lol:

high9s 10-04-2014 11:51 AM

Is it still a poser if it out preforms a ZR1, Z06 or GS in every category when its done? Think of it as making a pro street car out of a Malibu instead of an SS Chevelle.

1968swbbigblock 10-04-2014 11:54 AM

I would not call a stock gs a poser at all - lots more to the gs than just the wide body.
I have no objections to conversions as long as they leave the emblems off.

Saw a "z06" last weekend - looked great until I saw the small brakes and the targa top.
Without the z06 emblems I would have liked it but with it was a turnoff

keithafd 10-04-2014 01:31 PM

I really like the hot rod look with rear conversion only plus it gives you the ability for bigger tires. my corvette is supercharged putting down 650rwhp so you can use the tires

Vette CA 12-08-2014 04:41 PM

My mate has a base model/LS2 and did the wide body conversion....But I wouldn't call him a poser.
It was just that the new hood hiding the added Supercharger didn't look quite right without the wider fender panels. Wider wheels became a must! :D

wlean99 12-08-2014 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wetrudgeon (Post 1587969315)

We trudge on (posing).

GS not a poser! Its a GS DAMMIT !:smash:

Entaille 12-08-2014 05:08 PM

even if it's a bone stock car, if he did the widebody conversion, he probably can fit better, wider rubber in there. even at stock power levels we don't really have enough tire IMO - hence the GS and all of it's success. besides, we all have our own cars, and our own project plans, and you have no idea what that person wants to do their car down the line. maybe this is stage one of many. maybe it's complete and that's where it will sit, who cares?

I can fit enough tire under my base setup anyways, but to claim that there is nothing gained but aesthetics and being a poser.. sounds like you're being butt-hurt for no reason.

jrose7004 12-08-2014 06:14 PM

There's a guy from here that put a wide body on his 06 when he got it run into. He doesn't have a GS/ZO6 front on his but the car looks great. He did it because he enters lots of car shows in the area.

COMMANDER2OOO 12-08-2014 06:46 PM

I plan to go wide body with my base 05 an not to be a poser but because im going with bigger wider wheels. I don't need any gs z06 or zr1 badges my car is already camed an supercharged putting down over 600 rwh. i plan to go with kompression wheels 20x13 rear an 19 in the front. im not tryin to look like a gs z06 or zr1 im tryin to look better. lol