CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   HUD and windshield tint, anyone? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3550290-hud-and-windshield-tint-anyone.html)

Jack Be Quick Racing 10-19-2014 11:22 PM

HUD and windshield tint, anyone?

Did a search but didn't get a lot of "actual user" information.

Anyone have HUD and tinted the windshield - did it affect the HUD display at all?

I have the lightest tint on a couple of my other cars windshield - no issues; day or night - but no HUD on them.

CGZO6 10-19-2014 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Be Quick Racing (Post 1588079459)
Did a search but didn't get a lot of "actual user" information.

Anyone have HUD and tinted the windshield - did it affect the HUD display at all?

I have the lightest tint on a couple of my other cars windshield - no issues; day or night - but no HUD on them.

Not an issue, tint away.

Jeff in Sarasota 10-20-2014 08:05 AM

My windshield is tinted and I didn't notice any difference in the HUD before and after. It is a very light tint.

Jack Be Quick Racing 10-20-2014 09:07 AM

Perfect - thanks for the quick responses!

RJ111 10-20-2014 09:15 AM

I have 35% on my windshield, no problems.

W88fixer 10-20-2014 10:46 AM

No intent to insult anyone here but I’m surprised that tinting the entire windshield is legal by state laws.

I have an “eyebrow” on mine but would not want to have the reduced visibility a full tint would cause. Don

theanswriz42 10-20-2014 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by W88fixer (Post 1588081259)
No intent to insult anyone here but I’m surprised that tinting the entire windshield is legal by state laws.

I have an “eyebrow” on mine but would not want to have the reduced visibility a full tint would cause. Don

I don't think it's legal in any state. Just a risk you assume when doing it.

ffamousamos 10-20-2014 10:59 AM

Illegal in Texas below the AS-1 line, or 5"

C7Procharged 10-20-2014 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ffamousamos (Post 1588081359)
Illegal in Texas below the AS-1 line, or 5"

In Texas you can fill out a form and have your eye doctor sign to make it legal. Send that into the state and you get a letter from DPS allowing tint on front + darker sides.

lsp408 10-26-2014 10:02 PM

I think it would be ok if you use 70% film to tint while windshield and won't affect night visibility

NASTYC7 10-27-2014 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by W88fixer (Post 1588081259)

I have 5% on sides and rear, 70% on windshield. All of it is illegal, but then again do cops really have to worry about a Corvette driver? I pass cops all the time, been pulled over twice (1 for me and 1 for wife, I got a warning she got a ticket..lol she hates me).

I too was concerned about the HUD. But it looks the same to me. It also helped do away with the dash reflection which was a plus. Plus if you just did the windshield at 70% and did the legal on the sides I doubt most would notice it on there.

Jack Be Quick Racing 10-27-2014 09:59 AM

Not legal in MI or TN, however, I have had a tinted windshield on my BMW and Challenger for 4+ years now. The only time I got nicked is after a three car accident on the express way in which two cars slid into the back of my BMW. The MI state cop wrote the two other drivers up for causing accidents and then, insult to injury, gave me a $100 ticket for the tinted windows. I could ether remove the tint or pay the fine. I gave MI their road side tax and moved on.

As long as you go very light on the windshield it does not interfere with visibility, cuts a lot of heat and glare, and improves the overall looks when the other windows are tinted - IMHO.

Now, I have seen a few folks running "privacy" darkness on the windshield and rest of the windows - to me that's just asking for trouble.