CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Radiator hose suggestions please (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3552330-radiator-hose-suggestions-please.html)

JUSBAD 10-23-2014 10:00 PM

Radiator hose suggestions please

Going to flush out my coolant system soon and want to do something for my coolant hoses since mine are stock on my 92 with 80,000 miles. Was wanting the CoolFlex stainless but have read horrible reviews how they slip off easily. I may just put the stainless sleeves over some new hoses but am wanting any opinions/references on the silicone hoses, usually red in color.
Thoughts and/or suggestions!

Tommycourt 10-23-2014 10:44 PM

I know that the stainless have a susceptibility to slip off at times. I would put on the best hoses I can find and then you can always cover them with an outer coating. When I would wire up my cars, I would find the plastic slip on covers that had the slip the entire length of the wiring or could be trimmed if necessary. Stainless does look pretty however if I had to change one out, I want the easiest and fastest way to do it. Just MHO!
Tommy

WVZR-1 10-24-2014 07:56 AM

Just hoses and quality clamps. You don't "need" the rest of the BS.

Gates, Dayco and Goodyear the major players.

sjohnson2615 10-24-2014 06:58 PM

The stock ones lasted 22 years. Just replace with new factory hoses,the other stuff looks Mickey Mouse any way.

Joe C 10-24-2014 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 1588110690)
Just hoses and quality clamps. You don't "need" the rest of the BS.

Gates, Dayco and Goodyear the major players.

:iagree:

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615 (Post 1588115190)
The stock ones lasted 22 years. Just replace with new factory hoses,the other stuff looks Mickey Mouse any way.

:iagree: I bought GM "professional" radiator hoses for my 90. turns out that under the ac delco label was a NAPA label - :eek:. anyway, they fit like a glove. sjohnson2615 hit the nail on the head - originals last a long time, and so will quality replacements. those "bling" hoses won't last any longer, so save your money!

Rockcrushervette 10-24-2014 09:15 PM

I have always liked the look of a black clean hose! Tight fit easy to clean! How often do you look at hoses? The top of the motor and valve covers say it all!

JUSBAD 10-24-2014 09:56 PM

Cool thanks for the opinions guys. Mine don't appear to be worn out, I was just considering changing since I am flushing but may just leave well enough alone for now.

Thanks again, I love this forum!

WVZR-1 10-25-2014 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by JUSBAD (Post 1588116322)
Cool thanks for the opinions guys. Mine don't appear to be worn out, I was just considering changing since I am flushing but may just leave well enough alone for now.

Not "appearing" worn out isn't a very good reason to just leave them alone. If they're OE or even suspected of being OE then they're 22 years old and it's way past time. If you're unsure it's time for a change!

c4cruiser 10-25-2014 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 1588118619)
Not "appearing" worn out isn't a very good reason to just leave them alone. If they're OE or even suspected of being OE then they're 22 years old and it's way past time. If you're unsure it's time for a change!

:iagree: Definitely. Even if the hoses are 10 years old or so, it's very much worth getting new radiator hoses. And consider swapping out the heater hoses, and the TB coolant hose too.

Also, how old is the pressure cap? Can't hurt to get a new one as they don't cost a lot.

Vetterin 10-27-2014 04:43 PM

Although I still have the original hoses on my 85 I bought Goodyear replacements as well as a Goodyear serpentine belt that I will be changing over during the winter.

88JDO 10-28-2014 02:06 AM

I put on blue silicone hoses. Bought from a Corvette vendor but forgot which one. Don't forget the anti-collapse spring in the bottom hose.

lt4obsesses 10-28-2014 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by JUSBAD (Post 1588116322)

If you're flushing, I'd go ahead and change them out now. The problem with hoses is that they deteriorate from the inside out. They look great when you start off the drive, and then, pow! Coolant everywhere.