CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Follow up to convertible top malfunction with GM answer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3553042-follow-up-to-convertible-top-malfunction-with-gm-answer.html)

juststan 10-25-2014 04:13 PM

Follow up to convertible top malfunction with GM answer

About 8 weeks ago convertible top glass and rear deck collided while using key fob. I've been back to the dealer 4 times with no luck on getting it right. GM finally sent a tech to take a look.

Just got call last night that they are going to change the entire roof and assembly...$7500.00. They finally admitted to me that this was the second one that had this malfunction. They think it is a software issue. My question is how many times does this have to happen to be a safety issue.

I think one time is too many times. What if someone was driving up to a light and wanted to put down there roof and the glass exploded. I'm hoping they take care of all paint work also. I still have glass embedded in paint.

Sorry for the rant-just wanted to let you guys know what is going on.

theanswriz42 10-25-2014 10:12 PM

Hopefully this actually fixes things for good, though if it's a software issue, it could happen again.

pkadams 10-25-2014 10:33 PM

What about "loss of use"

Originally Posted by juststan (Post 1588120188)
about 8 weeks ago convertible top glass and rear deck collided while using key fob.ive been back to the dealer 4 times with no luck on getting it right .gm finally sent a tech to take a look .just got call last night that they are going to change the entire roof and assembly. $7500.00.they finally admitted to me that this was the second one that had this malfunction.they think it is a software issue .my question is how many times does this have to happen to be a safety issue .i think one time is to many times .what if someone was driving up to a light and wanted to put down there roof and the glass exploded .im hoping they take care of all paint work also .i still have glass embedded in paint .sorry for the rant just wanted to let you guys know what is going on out there .

I am very sorry to hear about this, particularly since I am waiting for delivery of my new 2015 AW vert.

I have to ask, has anyone said anything about compensating you for the loss of use of your new ride? It sure seems like GM should be doing something there.

Paul

Steve Garrett 10-25-2014 10:38 PM

Stan, proper punctuation is your friend......

zbrett 10-25-2014 10:42 PM

Lemon law? You should get a new car....

juststan 10-25-2014 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Steven Bell (Post 1588122334)
Stan, proper punctuation is your friend......

sorry just not thinking right.

Steve Garrett 10-25-2014 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by zbrett (Post 1588122356)
Lemon law? You should get a new car....

Surely you're kidding.....

zbrett 10-25-2014 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Steven Bell (Post 1588122458)

Not at all. It varies from state to state but in IL a car qualifies after 4 unsuccessful attempts to repair the same problem or it is out of service for over 30 days.

http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.g.../lemonlaw.html

Vetteman Jack 10-26-2014 12:23 AM

Hopefully this will fix it and GM will also fix the paint issues. Sad that you've had this trouble with your car.

mpuzach 10-26-2014 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Steven Bell (Post 1588122458)

I'm not kidding. And don't call me Shirley. (Sorry - I couldn't resist.)

NavyBlue2 10-26-2014 02:45 AM

Thanks for the update.

I had a BMW hard-top convertible that I ran thru approx 6 - 8 cycles/day for a few yrs. Never had a problem.

Hope this C7 vert top works as well.

I'm just a little skeptical about "it's a software issue" answer. What's software got to do with it?
It's mostly mechanical.
You push a button, the mechanisms move.
I think there's a problem between using the remote, & if you don't keep depressing the button the entire 20 seconds, or signal got disrupted.
or both remote & in-car button pressed, paused, mechanisms got conflicting orders & hard top crushed the window...
Anyways, still a defect. Hopes GM can fix...

Larry/car 10-26-2014 09:16 AM

My top has worked perfectly. Not sure how sequencing works, switches or sensers. I can't belive a computer would cycle the system without some component feedback.

juststan 10-26-2014 12:59 PM

[QUOTE=Larry/car;1588123731]My top has worked perfectly. Not sure how sequencing works, switches or sensers. I can't belive a computer would cycle the system without some component feedback.[/QUOT

The GM rep said that during the cycle of holding the button down a cell phone or any kind of interference can interrupt the cycle.When i first purchased the car the salesman told me that the remote button to open the roof would not work every time.

juststan 10-26-2014 01:02 PM

Hey guys i just want you to know that in no way im putting down the c7 or gm. I am just trying to deal with this the best i could for as long as i could.

juststan 10-28-2014 04:11 PM

just got the call new roof is in.gm tech will install.

JoesC5 10-28-2014 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=juststan;1588124880]

Originally Posted by Larry/car (Post 1588123731)
My top has worked perfectly. Not sure how sequencing works, switches or sensers. I can't belive a computer would cycle the system without some component feedback.[/QUOT

The GM rep said that during the cycle of holding the button down a cell phone or any kind of interference can interrupt the cycle.When i first purchased the car the salesman told me that the remote button to open the roof would not work every time.

Is the GM tech also going to install electronic jamming equipment while he's replacing the roof? If you can't operate the top reliably when it's in the presence of a cell phone or other electronic devices, then GM should install the necessary equipment to jam those unwanted signals.

NavyBlue2 10-28-2014 04:45 PM

Don't operate those devices near an airport either, otherwise you may cause a few planes to crash...

juststan 10-28-2014 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=JoesC5;1588140683]

Originally Posted by juststan (Post 1588124880)

Is the GM tech also going to install electronic jamming equipment while he's replacing the roof? If you can't operate the top reliably when it's in the presence of a cell phone or other electronic devices, then GM should install the necessary equipment to jam those unwanted signals.

im just guessing there just trying to shut me up with some kind of excuse.as long as this gets resolved i will be happy.

Kathybisonic 10-28-2014 07:27 PM

I had a problem about a week ago when I tried to drop the top with the key fob. It stopped mid function and wouldn't restart. I figured it was something I did so I hopped in the car and pressed the button and it continued to lower the top. Now I'm a bit worried????

beltfed21 10-28-2014 09:14 PM

Sorry to hear about the issues, but keep after them on the paint! They'll try to blow it off I'm sure.