CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Follow up to convertible top malfunction with GM answer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3553042-follow-up-to-convertible-top-malfunction-with-gm-answer.html)

RUSTYNKL 05-02-2015 08:29 AM

Yo Guys, Major problems with a new vehicle sucks! I am happy G.M. stepped up to the plate for you.

chipsvette06 05-02-2015 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bigredwing (Post 1589545908)
Did I miss something? This happened last year, the new top was received last year, but it is only now being installed along with several body parts? Did the whole car explode? Are there any before and after pictures? I ask because I am not only curious but I am leaning towards a C7 vert upgrade. Thanks!

Get the vert and don't look back. :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

juststan 05-02-2015 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bigredwing (Post 1589545908)
Did I miss something? This happened last year, the new top was received last year, but it is only now being installed along with several body parts? Did the whole car explode? Are there any before and after pictures? I ask because I am not only curious but I am leaning towards a C7 vert upgrade. Thanks!

the parts arrived in mid november and it was to cold to drive the car .i have the z51 package and the tires suck in the cold so we put it off till it got warmer. that was my decision.as for the bumpers and deck lid being replaced i did not want anything painted so gm order the parts directly from bowling green .there was little shards of glass stuck in the paint .as for the roof they are going to change the whole entire thing hopefully in the next 2 weeks.the reason no body heard about the other incident with the glass shattering was that it happened at the dealer and gm did not leak it out. so far everything is going well as can be .

runner61627 05-02-2015 10:56 AM

:iagree::thumbs:

Originally Posted by chipsvette06 (Post 1589546267)
Get the vert and don't look back. :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

nytrorcr 05-02-2015 11:21 AM

Although I can't drive mine as much, I do put the top down every other day just to admire her with the top off.......unless they are replacing the control module as well just the mechanical assembly won't cure a software issue. My C6 vert worked perfect.from 2011 till

Bigredwing 05-02-2015 06:35 PM

I totally understand

Hey Juststan, I totally understand. I got the differential rebuilt on my C3 last Thanksgiving and it tool until this March before it warmed up enough in my garage to work on it. Then I had problems and had to pull it back out for warranty service and I still don't have it back. On to of that my '11 GS is also too skittery to driver in winter weather so it sits with the battery tender for a couple of months. Thanks for the extra info and best of luck with your repairs!

rkoblin 05-04-2015 08:10 AM

Convertible Issue

Now that the weather is nice, been putting the top down more often on my 15 Z51 Convert. I to have just noticed when you lower the top with the key fob the convertible operation stops 3/4 of the way. I hit the unlock on the fob as instructed, then the operation continues. Sometimes it does it all the way, sometimes it stops and has to be restarted. No problem from doing it from inside the car.
I know most of you out there have coupes, but have those owning convertibles also seen what I am chatting about?

meyerweb 05-04-2015 09:21 AM

Well, I've had my 'vert for less than 48 hours, but have had the top up and down quite a few times demonstrating it to friends and neighbors (it's entertaining even without driving the car!).

Anyway, the only time the top hasn't gone all the way down with the fob was when I accidently took my finger off the button.

Have you tried it with both fobs to see if it might be a problem with the switch in one of them?

owc6 05-04-2015 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by rkoblin (Post 1589556948)
Now that the weather is nice, been putting the top down more often on my 15 Z51 Convert. I to have just noticed when you lower the top with the key fob the convertible operation stops 3/4 of the way. I hit the unlock on the fob as instructed, then the operation continues. Sometimes it does it all the way, sometimes it stops and has to be restarted. No problem from doing it from inside the car.
I know most of you out there have coupes, but have those owning convertibles also seen what I am chatting about?

The remote top-down seems to be much more sensitive than the remote start. I can start my car from fairly far away, and I don't need to see it; it will even work from inside a building through several walls.

I've found that the remote top-down operation requires the car to be visible, and the fob to constantly be pointed directly at the car with nothing interrupting the signal, or it will stop and have to be reinitialized. That means you have to press continually on the button, don't drop your hand, or let a person or a another car move between the fob and the car.

Frodo 05-04-2015 11:07 AM

Having been an engineer and repair tech in the computer industry during my working life I'm puzzled why GM designed the mechanism so that the remote has to he held "on" during the cycle. In my feeble mind the remote should start the cycle but its progress and completion should be handled by the computers and answerback sensors. But what to I know... I only worked until I could retire at 48 yrs. old. :D

bigfainer 05-04-2015 12:13 PM

Follow up to convertible top malfunction with GM answer

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1589543083)
If you think "cloth" tops are amazing, watch some of those "metal" roofs going up and down, and look at the arms, braces, etc. Talk about wonderment! :yesnod:

I have one of those "metal roof" convertibles, Infiniti G37, that I'm going to trade in on a Stingray. To me it is really slow and closes with a thud due to being very heavy. How fast and smooth is the Vette top and can you operate it up to 30 miles per hour?

nytrorcr 05-04-2015 12:30 PM

I'm sure the button has to be held for safety reasons like the windows, trim control can be set due to less mechanical load on the system where as the vert top has to slam into lock position on the front and rear window leverages to make a good seal with trim pieces. JMO

DAFFYDRUNK 05-04-2015 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by bigfainer (Post 1589558575)
I have one of those "metal roof" convertibles, Infiniti G37, that I'm going to trade in on a Stingray. To me it is really slow and closes with a thud due to being very heavy. How fast and smooth is the Vette top and can you operate it up to 30 miles per hour?

I dunno, guess it thuds a little if you're sitting in the car and closing it. Can be used up to 30 mph. I usually creep along at 15-20 just to be safe. Works pretty fast, but does make strange stripping gear noises that may sound a bit unsettling until you do it enough to realize that nothing bad is happening.

bigfainer 05-04-2015 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK (Post 1589561144)
I dunno, guess it thuds a little if you're sitting in the car and closing it. Can be used up to 30 mph. I usually creep along at 15-20 just to be safe. Works pretty fast, but does make strange stripping gear noises that may sound a bit unsettling until you do it enough to realize that nothing bad is happening.

Thanks
The infiniti hard top convertible catches a lot of grief due to time it takes to go up and down and the creaking in the car when it is up
But I have had no problems in three years with the power top and no creaks
It does take about 25 secondsand you have to be totally stopped. but I read on the GM website that the stingray power top takes 16
I'm in Florida so it's convenient I coukd continue putting the top up after a stoplight when it suddenly starts raining

DAFFYDRUNK 05-04-2015 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by bigfainer (Post 1589562099)
Thanks
The infiniti hard top convertible catches a lot of grief due to time it takes to go up and down and the creaking in the car when it is up
But I have had no problems in three years with the power top and no creaks
It does take about 25 secondsand you have to be totally stopped. but I read on the GM website that the stingray power top takes 16
I'm in Florida so it's convenient I coukd continue putting the top up after a stoplight when it suddenly starts raining

Corvette convertible top is surprisingly quiet. Not creaks or groans yet that I can recall. Only 850 miles though. Rented a C7 vert in Vegas last fall and it was still like new at 5500 miles or so. Car is also quiet as far as tire and road noise.