CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   New or Used? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3559724-new-or-used.html)

carlrx7 11-08-2014 10:54 PM

New or Used?

Post up your price drop estimate for a 1 year and 12000 mile z06? Debating on new or waiting for a used if the price could drop 15-20k.

2LZ w/stage 2 aero A8

Thanks! Still saving my pennies either way!

-Carl

JerriVette 11-08-2014 11:05 PM

My suggestion is to shop a 2014 c7 z51 and see what the percentage drop is on that vehicle.

I haven't followed the c7 resale pricing but since the 2015 s are out this idea could lend insight.

Snorman 11-09-2014 12:18 AM

Is this a serious question?
S.

carlrx7 11-09-2014 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1588222976)
S.

C.

JackTripper 11-09-2014 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1588222976)
S.

Could care less too.

Mopar Jimmy 11-10-2014 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by carlrx7 (Post 1588222597)
Post up your price drop estimate for a 1 year and 12000 mile z06? Debating on new or waiting for a used if the price could drop 15-20k.

2LZ w/stage 2 aero A8

Thanks! Still saving my pennies either way!

-Carl

Its not going to drop that much brother in one year but buying a used low mileage, well maintained, and not beat on vette, that is 1 to 2 years old, is ALWAYS the most economically feasible thing to do if your looking for the best bang for your buck investment. We all know that the person who buys brand new always takes a BIG depreciation hit as soon as he drives the car off the dealers lot, etc. :yesnod:

CaryBob 11-10-2014 05:26 AM

$68,000 to $88,000 depending on configuration.

musclecar6 11-10-2014 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy (Post 1588229796)
Its not going to drop that much brother in one year but buying a used low mileage, well maintained, and not beat on vette, that is 1 to 2 years old, is ALWAYS the most economically feasible thing to do if your looking for the best bang for your buck investment. We all know that the person who buys brand new always takes a BIG depreciation hit as soon as he drives the car off the dealers lot, etc. :yesnod:

Well put. If you're the kinda guy always looking for a "Deal", best to sit on your hands and wait. May take awhile depending on how big and the duration of the initial stampede for the Z06 develops. Eventually normal depreciation will set in, the initial mindless hysteria will evaporate( as has happened with the Stingray) and life will return to normal. In the mean time, if you wait to get a deal, others who pony up the going rate( right now MSRP), will be driving a Z06 and you won't. Your choice to jump in now or later, depending on budget constraints, super thrifty mindset, etc. We all have different priorities as we enjoy the vette hobby.

harley2 11-10-2014 07:39 AM

Just like the Stingray you will see a price increase on the Z06 in the first year!:thumbs::thumbs:

carlrx7 11-10-2014 03:33 PM

Thanks for this input everyone!

3 Z06ZR1 11-11-2014 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by harley2 (Post 1588230186)
Just like the Stingray you will see a price increase on the Z06 in the first year!:thumbs::thumbs:

Then a huge decrease at the end of the year! The Z06 may be MSRP
of more now but in 1 full year. Look for 10k off!

darth g-f 11-11-2014 08:56 AM

I think 10k$ after a year is likely. Imagine for a second that we're in november 2015. The new Z06 2016 are in production. Then you happen to see a 2015 low mileage for sale, how much of a discount would you need to have to take the used one vs the new one?

I know 5k$ would not sway me. I can order it the way I want and get it brand new so 5k$ doesn't cut it. Plus, there may be dealer incentives like low interest rate or some sort of discount.

My guess, 10k$ down the first year and probably 15k$ in two years. That's when I'll try to jump in. One thing is sure, if the new Zora/Zr1 is announced, there will be another hit in resale value and possibly the best time to buy a used Z06. But for the next two years, I'll live my Corvette fantasy through those who don't mind paying sticker price. :)

ALLANB 11-11-2014 12:56 PM

Think at least 10k the minute its driven off the lot and maybe more like 15k .
And if you find motivated sellers private you might save 20k. I got my 2008 zo6 in like 2010 with no mile and it had dropped like 30k off the list and got it off dealer. Sold it and lost about 10k over what I paid couple years later so the depreciation does usually slow down after first couple of years which are going to be the heaviest ones.

No one would bother buying used over new if you only were going to save 5k so yeah agree that at least 10k would be necessary for me to buy a used one over new one.

Mileage is also pretty significant on cars like these. If you start daily driving them or really pile on miles expect an even bigger hit on resale and of course also things like accidents are going to really affect the resale price.

I think waiting a couple of years is smart thing to do. My days of buying brand new are pretty much over. But of course it is nice to order a car exactly how you want and know that no one else has fubared it up. People do really stupid things to their cars. Pets, eating /drinking in the car, rings ,etc . Course when you buy a minty new one that first stone chip or scratch hurts even more.

I would say 10 to 15 first year. 10k second and them maybe slow down a bit to maybe 5 to 7500 type of thing. And who knows maybe 20 or 30 years from now they might go for 100 k or more again. Just like the second gens and some other cars like the Ford GT's.

But most cars depreciate and do it hard first few years. Got my 2007 911 turbo last Christmas for like 80k. The car was near 200k new. Car has like 15,000 miles on it.

jbondfl 11-11-2014 01:17 PM

Anyone's guess what the price drop (or increase) will be for used BUT I'll bet you won't find a single 1yr old C7Z06 for sale with anywhere near 12K miles on it.
Garage queens (88%) will have 1200-1500 miles maybe
Track cars (5%) will have about 3000 miles on them
DD's - won't be for sale.

SBC_and_a_stick 11-11-2014 01:22 PM

Not a good move buying this used.

You can't option it as you want so you'll end up paying for things the original owner wanted.

Who knows how abused the car is when you get it.

Price will drop little if any.

Financing is more expensive.

You get one less year of coverage for very pricey stuff like mag suspension, forged engine, ELSD.

A base Corvette late into the generation is a good buy. A low volume, high performace corvette very early into the generation is a poor buy.

Kainedogg 11-11-2014 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick (Post 1588240360)
Not a good move buying this used.

You can't option it as you want so you'll end up paying for things the original owner wanted.

Who knows how abused the car is when you get it.

Price will drop little if any.

Financing is more expensive.

You get one less year of coverage for very pricey stuff like mag suspension, forged engine, ELSD.

A base Corvette late into the generation is a good buy. A low volume, high performace corvette very early into the generation is a poor buy.

I disagree friend. Most of the things that make the car awesome will be on any model you pick, engine/trans (you only have 2 choices)looks and so on.

Buying any used car is a risk, however clearly the benefits far outweigh the negatives, when due diligence is observed.

People seem to think the price will drop quite a bit and I have yet to see why it wouldn't. Never in a million years would I think you could get a low mileage C6 ZR1 for under 60k, but sure enough, I have seem at least one...on this site.

Financing used will limit your options but the upfront savings and overall savings should make that a moot point.

The warranty is cool to have, but you can either buy an extended warranty...or understand that these things are going to break especially if you track them (I expect quite a few Z06's to see some track time...hopefully) Furthermore we live to modify so a lot of the things we insist on doing void many a warranty anyway. :flag:

harlold 11-11-2014 02:49 PM

After the first year you'll be able to find new from invoice to MSRP if you shop around. They plan to make a lot of Z06's so I am unsure why people think they'll stick to MSRP for long (people predicted MSRP for the base C7 for 2+ years)

I think it will hold decent value once you lose initial depreciation

SBC_and_a_stick 11-11-2014 02:56 PM

Say you save $8000 on a 1 year used 3lz. However, you don't care for any of the 3lz option goods. You could have bought a new car, new is something everyone values, instead of having a discounted 3lz car, which not everyone is willing to pay for. That's what I mean by value in optioning it yourself.

Used car financing is more expensive, higher rates, higher risk.

FWIW, nearly all 2015s are already pre-ordered. There are plenty folks with a pre-order for 2016 as well. All of this will hold prices up. We will be mid 2015 before dealers can even hold one in the showroom and probably more before it is showroom at MSRP.

You want to wait a year? Try to buy it with credit union discount new. A one year used Z06 is bad no matter how you look at it.

NytmereZ 11-11-2014 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy (Post 1588229796)

:iagree: , the last brand new corvette I bought was a 2001 Z , I took a beating trading my 98 and a HUGE beating on my 2000, it had 600 miles after 4 months of ownership was a fully loaded six speed Z51, back then I was one of those people who had to have it 1st, I'm not 22 anymore, also have a wholesale licence in Indiana now, so I get these things low mileage at auction.
I see 1800 mile ZR1's going low 50's now.

blackvetterzo6 11-11-2014 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1588240980)
:iagree: , the last brand new corvette I bought was a 2001 Z , I took a beating trading my 98 and a HUGE beating on my 2000, it had 600 miles after 4 months of ownership was a fully loaded six speed Z51, back then I was one of those people who had to have it 1st, I'm not 22 anymore, also have a wholesale licence in Indiana now, so I get these things low mileage at auction.
I see 1800 mile ZR1's going low 50's now.

You gotta tell me more about 1800 mile ZR1's in the low 50ties. I'm all ears. PM me some info on what auctions you attend.
Thanks