CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Should I let my mother-in-law drive my car? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3569394-should-i-let-my-mother-in-law-drive-my-car.html)

janicept 11-29-2014 03:19 AM

Should I let my mother-in-law drive my car?

Let's start a new thread for everyone that wants to talk about this. In my situation the C6/C7 is considered my car. My husband and I keep separate finances except for one small joint account for house/vacation type stuff. He drives his 2004 Nissan Frontier, has conservative investment style, and cares nothing about driving a nice looking/high performance vehicle. The only times my husband drives the C6/C7: if he has to move it to get the riding lawnmower out of the garage, if I've had even one glass of wine he will drive us home, or driving home from vacation and I get too tired to drive (which hardly ever happens). In the entire 250K miles added to my C6 I would guess my husband drove about 5K of those miles. The only other people that drove my car were valets and mechanics. When someone asks if they can drive my car it's simple - my husband hardly ever drives my car so "No". If I mess up my car fine, but I would be so irritated if I let someone else drive for fun and they scratched the wheel or worse. If you want to drive one go to the dealer and get a test drive.

Now it would be different if the C6/C7 was considered "our" car. In that case I would have to be ok with my husband letting whomever drive it because it's his car too. I'm glad that's not the case.

oyealiz 11-29-2014 04:43 AM

All my good friends drove my c6 if they were at my home visiting, and several have driven my c7 now that I have her.

So I suppose, if I had a mother in law and she wanted to drive my c7, I'd let her. :)

Not that it matters, but is your car a c6 or a c7?

janicept 11-29-2014 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by oyealiz (Post 1588368331)
All my good friends drove my c6 if they were at my home visiting, and several have driven my c7 now that I have her.

So I suppose, if I had a mother in law and she wanted to drive my c7, I'd let her. :)

Not that it matters, but is your car a c6 or a c7?

Just sold the C6 and ordered C7 so same rules will apply to the new one.

Supermassive 11-29-2014 06:27 AM

I would not let my MIL drive my car. No chance in hell and my wife knows my mind on this so it would never be an issue. I'd be hard pressed to let others drive my C7, I have let my wife and i think she could sense my worry when I was in the passenger seat so I think she's had her fill. She asks every once in a while if she could take my car and my response remains the same, "if you can remember to not park the Hyundai on the curb every time, then maybe."

USAF 11-29-2014 06:51 AM

I won't let my Son in Law drive my C-6.

USAF

mksz51 11-29-2014 07:33 AM

Depends how deep MIL pockets are and to what extent she would "make it right" were she to do something bad to the car. Also - do you like her and trust her?

JerriVette 11-29-2014 07:54 AM

I enjoy having friends drive my corvettes.....but my mother in law? Or my father in law? Not a chance in hell...

Why would that old bat want to squeeze her fat @ss in my car anyway? ...( kidding of course but no I wouldn't let my mother in law drive my car....and just so I'm being fair..,not my 82 year old mother either...

Sneed 11-29-2014 08:03 AM

If you don't feel comfortable with other people driving your car out on the streets, then you should not make an exception with your MIL.

janicept 11-29-2014 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by mksz51 (Post 1588368566)
Depends how deep MIL pockets are and to what extent she would "make it right" were she to do something bad to the car. Also - do you like her and trust her?

I know I would have bad feelings if something would happen so I don't let anyone but my husband drive it - and he drives like a Gramma. I guess it's kind of the same way I feel about giving someone a loan. Don't loan someone money if you really need to get that money back. Don't let someone drive your car because you don't know what they would do if something happened to it. Just my personal feeling.

The mother-in-law thing was just in reference to that year old thread that everyone is commenting on lately even though the guy apparently sold his car shortly after the situation. My mother-in-law has never asked to drive my car. I almost commented on that thread myself then noticed the original post was a year old.

rcooper 11-29-2014 08:50 AM

My wife loves to drive my C6 and will drive the C7 also. She loves the Corvettes as much as I do. But when it comes to her mother, I am sorry, but there is not a chance that it will ever happen. Nice lady and all, but is to used to driving suv's. Don't want my car parked on the curb, or in someones yard.

John Ulrich 11-29-2014 09:04 AM

It's only a car. I offer anyone I know a chance to drive it. It's the biggest thrill many of them have had in a car.

1SG_Ret 11-29-2014 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by janicept (Post 1588368814)
I know I would have bad feelings if something would happen so I don't let anyone but my husband drive it - and he drives like a Gramma. I guess it's kind of the same way I feel about giving someone a loan. Don't loan someone money if you really need to get that money back. Don't let someone drive your car because you don't know what they would do if something happened to it. Just my personal feeling.

The mother-in-law thing was just in reference to that year old thread that everyone is commenting on lately even though the guy apparently sold his car shortly after the situation. My mother-in-law has never asked to drive my car. I almost commented on that thread myself then noticed the original post was a year old.

I completely understand you concerns. If I have similar reservations, I would do exactly the same as you.

If a situation like that arose for me with a friend, I'd explain that I value the relationship too much to let driving a car come between us.

If something were to happen I couldn't in good conscience make you pay for any issues or repairs, but would be unable to dismiss the issue mentally.

So rather than running the risk of marring our relations how about I take you for a ride instead, and we'll catch some lunch (my treat)?

Hopefully the requesting person would understand your position and let it drop. If they don't, then they have a real problem. :crazy2:

TKay 11-29-2014 09:15 AM

:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

2vette2 11-29-2014 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by John Ulrich (Post 1588368893)
It's only a car. I offer anyone I know a chance to drive it. It's the biggest thrill many of them have had in a car.

:iagree: 100%

janicept 11-29-2014 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by John Ulrich (Post 1588368893)

No way man. If it's only a car then they should have one themselves. Most of the people that do ask to drive it could never afford one and they surely don't expect me to let them. The only time someone in my family came close to asking to drive it was my mother asking if I was going to let my sister drive it and she shook her head "no" that she was not asking to drive it. That's what test drives at a dealership are for. Don't be driving my car.

A lot of people ask if I can take them for a ride. If I'm going somewhere they are going fine but this is not a carnival ride people. Like they expect you just to drive around in a circle for 5 miles or so - silly. That's partly why I don't drive a car with a back seat so I don't have to cart people around. I'll let someone look at it all day though. See I'm not all bad.

RedC7AZ 11-29-2014 09:53 AM

Your car, your money, 100% your decision. Shouldn't matter whether it's a Yaris, a C7 or a Porsche 918.

Blue Demon 11-29-2014 10:01 AM

Several of our friends drove the new Laguna blue C7 within a few days of us getting it. Of course all of them have Corvettes or other high performance cars so they knew how to treat it.

mksz51 11-29-2014 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by janicept (Post 1588369126)
No way man. If it's only a car then they should have one themselves. Most of the people that do ask to drive it could never afford one and they surely don't expect me to let them. The only time someone in my family came close to asking to drive it was my mother asking if I was going to let my sister drive it and she shook her head "no" that she was not asking to drive it. That's what test drives at a dealership are for. Don't be driving my car.

A lot of people ask if I can take them for a ride. If I'm going somewhere they are going fine but this is not a carnival ride people. Like they expect you just to drive around in a circle for 5 miles or so - silly. That's partly why I don't drive a car with a back seat so I don't have to cart people around. I'll let someone look at it all day though. See I'm not all bad.

Captured my perspective exactly!

2014C7 11-29-2014 10:12 AM

If someone has to ask, theres the answer. Also in the mc world you don't even touch or sit on someone else's bike. Anyone who does is considered a rookie in my book. And sitting on my fender will piss me off. Any car I own. Its a car not a chair.

Do what you want its your car.

thegame 11-29-2014 10:16 AM

a second thread for this nonsense ?? lol