CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Southern California (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/southern-california-45/)
-   -   So. Orange County AB.2289 Smog Check... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/southern-california/3577636-so-orange-county-ab-2289-smog-check.html)

DanSavage 12-16-2014 04:52 PM

So. Orange County AB.2289 Smog Check...

Does anyone know of a smog check station in So. Orange County that does AB.2289 smog checks?

I'm not real keen on having a shop attempt to put my Vette on a dyno when it's no longer necessary.

TIA,

Dan

Blue Blood 12-17-2014 01:44 AM

I believe all STAR rated comply with AB 2289. Check here for more info

DanSavage 12-17-2014 10:21 AM

Thanks for the link and info.

jd86L98 12-30-2014 06:33 PM

Fantastic news!

DanSavage 01-27-2015 08:00 PM

I thought I'd post a follow-up.

I learned that there are now two types of smog checks done in California: BAR-OIS and BAR-97.

The old smog checks (BAR-97) are done on cars 1999 and older. This involves the standard visual/functional check and a run on the dyno with a sniffer test.

The new smog check (BAR-OIS) is done on 2000 and newer cars. This involves the standard visual/functional test. But, instead of putting your car on the dyno and doing a sniffer test, the OIS computer is plugged into the OBD II port with the car idling and your computer tells the OIS computer whether it will meet the smog requirements.

The BAR-OIS check is cheaper and faster than the BAR-97 test because there's less work for the the smog station to do.

The catch is that not all shops can do the BAR-OIS test. In order to do these, they had to buy an OIS computer.

So, you'll need to either call the smog shop and ask if they can do the BAR-OIS test.

Or, you can go to the BAR site and search for them.

See: http://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/st...ationlist.aspx

ZedO6 01-27-2015 11:56 PM

Lots of confusion with this stuff...thanks for the info!

DanSavage 01-28-2015 12:14 PM

:cheers:

I was curious about the new process, so I watched him do the whole OIS test.

It took about 15 minutes to do the visual/functional inspection with the OIS computer hooked up to the car. When it was done, he unplugged the OIS computer and took it into the shop and that was it. I signed the form, paid my $45 and was on my way.

DanSavage 01-28-2015 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Blood (Post 1588503658)
I believe all STAR rated comply with AB 2289. Check here for more info

Actually, they can be STAR certified, but not do the BAR-OIS test. It's up to the shop whether they want to support the BAR-OIS test. But, the only way they can do the OIS test is to have bought the OIS computer. Some shops in my area are STAR certified, but only do the BAR-97, not the BAR-OIS.

MUKAK 01-28-2015 12:32 PM

this whole CA SMOG SH*T is retarted

halokiller 01-28-2015 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by DanSavage (Post 1588827918)

It took about 15 minutes to do the visual/functional inspection with the OIS computer hooked up to the car. When it was done, he unplugged the OIS computer and took it into the shop and that was it. I signed the form, paid my $45 and was on my way.

Is your car modified? I was wondering if aftermarket tunes can pass through this test

DanSavage 01-28-2015 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by halokiller (Post 1588828484)
Is your car modified? I was wondering if aftermarket tunes can pass through this test

Mine is bone-stock.

Not sure about aftermarket tunes. I think the best way to approach this would be to have a 'friend' with access to an OIS computer test a 'tuned' car.

DanSavage 01-28-2015 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by MUKAK (Post 1588828055)
this whole CA SMOG SH*T is retarted

Maybe, but the air here in SoCal is noticeably cleaner than it was 30-40 years ago when the first smog laws were put into place. In 2010, L.A. had three 'red alert' smog days and 69 other 'smog days'. In contrast, the air hit unhealthy levels on more than 200 days in 1970.

(See: How Los Angeles Began to Put its Smoggy Days Behind)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...94f0fba8c8.jpg

Smog-shrouded view of downtown Los Angeles, looking toward City Hall and the Hall of Justice, on October 7, 1968. Herald-Examiner Collection photo courtesy of The Los Angeles Public Library.

Psychonaut 01-28-2015 09:06 PM

Remember a couple years back when I was interested in this topic that there was speculation that California's new OBD-II scan would be so sophisticated as to detect changes in the PCM. Rolling eyes but I know of someone who moved to the State in 2009 from Illinois with a Firebird Formula with longtubes/heads/cam and it was an annoyance to have it pass smog here twice without this new technique. The OBD-II check in IL was straightforward, they plug it in, no trouble codes, you are on you're way, brilliant. With my Vette, I am stock now (as was this person I speak of), so bring on the test, but is there a thread out there for this plug in type test. End of the day, I see it as just the same ole thing, have to do what you have to do.

donald4972 01-28-2015 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by DanSavage (Post 1588827918)

I had a similar expereince. The guy looked at my SuperCharger, saw the CARB certificate on it, and never gave it another look.
He plugged into the car obd, and was done in 5 to 7 minutes.
As you said, I signed, paid; and was out of there in 15 or so minutes.

Very simple process.

Don

donald4972 01-28-2015 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Psychonaut (Post 1588832304)
Remember a couple years back when I was interested in this topic that there was speculation that California's new OBD-II scan would be so sophisticated as to detect changes in the PCM. Rolling eyes but I know of someone who moved to the State in 2009 from Illinois with a Firebird Formula with longtubes/heads/cam and it was an annoyance to have it pass smog here twice without this new technique. The OBD-II check in IL was straightforward, they plug it in, no trouble codes, you are on you're way, brilliant. With my Vette, I am stock now (as was this person I speak of), so bring on the test, but is there a thread out there for this plug in type test. End of the day, I see it as just the same ole thing, have to do what you have to do.

I moved to California, from Illinois a year ago. Lived in Illinois for most of 58 years. There is NO smog check in Illinois. Unless they enacted it in the last few months.

Don

Psychonaut 01-28-2015 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by donald4972 (Post 1588832346)
I moved to California, from Illinois a year ago. Lived in Illinois for most of 58 years. There is NO smog check in Illinois. Unless they enacted it in the last few months.

Don

Not sure what cornfield in IL you called home, but clearly they have had significant emission regulations for the duration. In fact, I am unaware of any variances from county to county in the state, alas I'm too lazy to research. Nonetheless DuPage County has regulations in place. Either way, glad you didn't have to deal with the emission police in your 58 years of residence.

Psychonaut 01-28-2015 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Psychonaut (Post 1588832670)
Not sure what cornfield in IL you called home, but clearly they have had significant emission regulations for the duration. In fact, I am unaware of any variances from county to county in the state, alas I'm too lazy to research. Nonetheless DuPage County has regulations in place. Either way, glad you didn't have to deal with the emission police in your 58 years of residence.

Inspection Requirements and Exemptions

Inspection Requirements

Required emissions testing locations include the following counties*:
Cook
Dupage
Lake
Kane
Kendall
McHenry
Will
Madison
Monroe
St. Clair

As long as they’re registered within the required Illinois emissions testing locations, the following vehicles must begin emissions testing after they are 4 model years old and undergo tests every 2 years:
Most gasoline-powered passenger vehicles model year 1996 and newer. See “Inspection Exemptions” below for details on exempt gasoline-powered and other vehicles.

Heavy-duty trucks model year 2007 and newer. Must weigh 8,501 lbs. to 14,000 lbs.

Looks like only northern counties in the State are subject to the Police.

madmatt9471 01-29-2015 07:16 AM

:thumbs:

Thanks,Matt

donald4972 01-29-2015 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Psychonaut (Post 1588832670)

Yep.....
I was from 'downstate'. But, we did have hot and cold runnin... water

Even had that new-fangled indoor plumbing ....

But no smog-check, at all.

Don