CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Joining the Blown Engine Club (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3579413-joining-the-blown-engine-club.html)

blkvett01 12-20-2014 02:19 PM

Joining the Blown Engine Club

:eek:

Today I went in to pick up my AW 2014 Z51 3lt. (8916 miles) It quite running on me on Tuesday of this week in my parking lot.:ack:

The dealer call two days later to say they could not find anything wrong with the Car. They said they were going to have the quality control guy drive the car tomorrow and check for anything that could cased the car to die and not restart. Well he drove it 109 mile and said nothing was wrong. He stopped in the service lane and was talking to the service advisor to say he could not find the problem. The quality control guy went to start it and move it around to the back and it would not start. :smash:

They pushed it in to the electrical guy thinking something electrical was loose. The tech check the car and said the starter was the problem with a bad winding. They replaced the starter and called me told me what they found and said I could pick up. It was to late to get to the dealer for me do to my location. The service tech said I could pick it up tomorrow (today).

So being happy that it was fixed I got up early and started out to the dealer. I got there dropped off the loaner car they gave to me and went to the cashiers desk to pick up paper work and get the car pulled out to service drive. No charges were do by the way. :thumbs:

The car was outside looking good and I grabbed the keys and headed out. Car starts smooth and easy running good waited for a few min and started out. There was heavy traffic out side of the dealer and I inched along to my turn around to get in the interstate.

So being the heavy footed driver I am I jump on it a little and start for the ramp. Then bam a very load knocking sound comes from the engine and lots of rattles. I move over and head back to the deal witch is right across the street from where I am. :eek::ack::toetap:

So the car is making all kinds of noise not good noise either, being a engine builder I knew the sound. :ack: Just as I pulled into the dealer it shut off and I cost to the service bay. I get met by the service adviser and he ask what is wrong and I said did you not here it coming in? knocking was load enough to wake the deal.

So he get the quality control guy and another service super visor and they check it out. They start the car and say it not sound good. No She it :toetap: They make some guess to what is wrong and tell me they will put it on the rack and check it out asap. :ack::toetap:

So I hang around and wait for about 15 min when the service manager calls me into his office not a good sign but expected on my part. He tells me that they think the main broke loose and it will need rebuild or new motor. So I get my loaner car back 2015 Tahoe not bad ride but not a corvette. They say the will inspect the motor Monday and get Chevrolet rep out and start the process. Of course he says that it might just need a rebuild, I say it needs a crate motor! :eek::toetap:

So now the drama begins ! Miles on the car is 8916 plus 109 by the quality control guy?

blasted_concrete 12-20-2014 02:26 PM

Aaaahgg! That sucks balls. Keep us posted on what happens.

~BC

blkvett01 12-20-2014 02:32 PM

Thanks

I plan on it these thing always get a lot of attention. I have sad hart right now.

LIE2ME 12-20-2014 04:58 PM

Man! That is not good news. Please keep the rest of us informed...!

VETJAZZ 12-20-2014 05:03 PM

:willy::willy: Hope it's a quick turnaround.

gpotski 12-20-2014 05:07 PM

You'd think by 2914 they'd have the bugs worked out.

Good luck with the repairs.

LincolnUSA 12-20-2014 05:10 PM

This is an interesting thread. Are you willing to settle for a new motor? Guess if it was me, I would be arguing for a new car. Have never had to deal with Lemon laws personally but can't help wonder if they would not apply in this situation.

Steve_R 12-20-2014 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by gpotski (Post 1588530881)
You'd think by 2914 they'd have the bugs worked out.

Good luck with the repairs.

I'm sure they will, although we probably won't be using internal combustion engines 900 years from now. :spit:

Originally Posted by LincolnUSA (Post 1588530907)
This is an interesting thread. Are you willing to settle for a new motor? Guess if it was me, I would be arguing for a new car. Have never had to deal with Lemon laws personally but can't help wonder if they would not apply in this situation.

Lemon laws usually require several attempts to repair a problem before they apply.

1SG_Ret 12-20-2014 05:39 PM

Thank heavens for the Warranty. Hope you get the car back in tip top condition. I'd lobby for a new motor............

E.T.D. Corvettes 12-20-2014 05:40 PM

Sorry to hear about the blown engine. That really stinks. :(

Here's information about Texas' Lemon Law eligibility:

When can I use the Texas Lemon Law?

If you have purchased or leased a new motor vehicle and it develops a defect or condition that substantially impairs the motor vehicle’s use, market value or safety, you may be eligible for relief under the Texas Lemon Law. You are required to allow the manufacturer a reasonable opportunity to repair the defect(s) before you may file a complaint for lemon law relief. There is a $35 filing fee required with the submission of the Lemon Law complaint form. The number of reasonable attempts may vary based upon the defect’s effect on the normal operation of the motor vehicle.
How many “reasonable attempts” to repair a defect is the manufacturer allowed?

One way to show the dealer has had a reasonable number of attempts to fix a defect is to pass the following tests. Mileage requirements in the tests do not apply to travel trailers.
The Four Times Test

You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair

twice for the same problem within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first; and
twice more during the 12 months or 12,000 miles following the second repair attempt, and
the problem continues to exist.

The Serious Safety Hazard Test

A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard

once during first 12 months or 12,000 miles, and
once more during the 12 months (or 12,000 miles) following the first repair attempt, and
the problem continues to exist.

The 30 Day Test

If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and there were at least two repair attempts during the first 12 months or 12000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.

It is advisable to contact the Lemon Law Section of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) for more specific information and assistance at (888) 368-4689.

blkvett01 12-20-2014 06:20 PM

I thank everyone for all the support. The car has been great till it just stopped this week. When it shout down I really did not think it was the motor. I though it was electrical, when it stopped I could smell electrical burning smell by the passengers side of the engine bay.

I will keep posting what is going on and what updates I get from the dealer. I am not one to speculate what might happen. Once they do the inspection Monday I will have a better idea of what to do next.

As for them rebuilding it I am going to fight for a new create motor.

Again thanks for all the support!

John

E.T.D. Corvettes 12-20-2014 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by blkvett01 (Post 1588531325)
As for them rebuilding it I am going to fight for a new create motor.

Again thanks for all the support!

John

That's the route I would go to. Best wishes!

bigblock427 12-20-2014 06:30 PM

Sorry to hear about the blown engine. Please keep us informed on the process for replacing the engine.

11B250 12-20-2014 06:35 PM

If an engine KNOCKS that bad, you know it's time for a new rotor. probably a valve dangling in there inside the cylinder walls. lol

eboggs_jkvl 12-20-2014 06:38 PM

Not to be too nosy, but what is the last 7 numbers of your VIN?

Elmer

clegg 12-20-2014 06:47 PM

And here I thought I was going to see another supercharged 700HP LT1. That sucks.

blkvett01 12-20-2014 06:59 PM

vin 5100822 her you go!

eboggs_jkvl 12-20-2014 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by blkvett01 (Post 1588531558)
vin 5100822 her you go!

One of the first off the line? Thanks for the information.

Elmer

jashmore1234 12-20-2014 07:07 PM

OP, he drove it 109 miles to test it???????

Did I read that right?

Shodanusmc 12-20-2014 07:16 PM

Main seal blew on one of my cars several years ago. Got a new Long Block but just did not feel the same. They will not give you a new car, but you can negotiate cash back and credit on a new vehicle.