CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   891 miles-now engine is blown (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3583727-891-miles-now-engine-is-blown.html)

lawdogg149 12-30-2014 10:59 AM

891 miles-now engine is blown

Well bad news today! Last Friday I had a catastrophic failure of my engine in my 2015 Z06. I was out putting some more miles on the car to get ready for my track event at road atlanta Jan 10 and 11. While making a pull from 35 mph I accelerated and shifted short of redline and boom. Car began knocking. I pulled over and popped hood. Could hear a loud knock coming from # 6 cylinder area along with a serious grinding metal on metal sound coming from the supercharger area.

Had Gm roadside service come tow the car to the dealership. Beware gm will only pay for 25 miles. My dealer which is the closest corvette certified dealer was over 40 miles away. I had to pay the overage of $40 out of my pocket. I will be fighting with GM over this one.

Dealer called today and said there was indeed failure in #6 valve train. They were instructed not to tear into the engine because it needs to be evaluated by them.

They gave me two options.

1. Allow Gm to take apart the engine and patch repair it. This option would of kept my original numbers matching engine in the car.

2. Replace the engine as a whole. This was the best option in my opinion due that I track my cars alot. I dont want any more issues with this engine.

So dealer went ahead and notified GM to send another engine. Who knows how long this will take. I really fell bummed out with GM right now. Sure this is a first year car and I understand that. But this is not the first time I have had to do R&D for the big GM. Just last year I was the first private owner to track my C7 Z51. That car over heated on a November cool day down here at Road Atlanta. Both the Transmission (M7) and engine. I made a post here and notified the engineering dept through my dealer. No one even followed up or cared.

My biggest surprise of this situation is that GM wasn't surprised at all about this situation. Seems this has occurred before with the test fleet vehicles.

I come here and post to not to bash GM but to warn you fellow Corvette owners before you go out and tune or modify your cars. Sure this may of been a issue in just a few but there was alot of looking into my computer files and such to find any mods. Sure GM would love to not have to pay for this $23,999 engine.

I will keep this thread update. Please please trolls dont destroy this thread with useless comments. :salute:

Update:
New engine arrived this am direct from Bowling Green. Hoping for a speedy install so I can get the 1500 mile break in done before Jan 10 track event. Thanks for all the positive comments from people all over the world. So far GM has done as I have expected them to in this situation.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f242838de0.jpg

Mopar Jimmy 12-30-2014 11:02 AM

Oh man that is terrible news really sorry to hear about this Lawdogg! :ack:

Thank GOD for factory warrantys, and best of luck on getting fixed up ASAP you definitely made the right choice by getting a brand new engine!

This is not going to instill a lot of confidence at all in owner's minds and let's hope this car does not have similar issues like the out going C6 Z06 with the valve issues experienced by the LS7 engine.

This is a PERFECT reason when you buy a high end first year car like this to NOT VOID your factory warranty and keep your baby bone stock!

Steve Snake Driver 12-30-2014 11:03 AM

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear but it does sound like you're getting a resolution. Also great advice.

CliffB-99 12-30-2014 11:06 AM

:lurk:

Thanks for keeping us updated!

sjohnson2615 12-30-2014 11:06 AM

Sorry to hear about this. It is good news that there was not a tune on this car. That would have sucked if there was and GM denied the warranty.

occar 12-30-2014 11:09 AM

That sucks, but statistically a few engines are going to fail. What matters is how they handle it at this point.

URBAN LEGEND 12-30-2014 11:09 AM

Not cool. I hope it all works out for you.

LFZ 12-30-2014 11:10 AM

Wow...just wow......I think all C6Z owners know where this could be heading. Damn shame....

arcticblast 12-30-2014 11:12 AM

Man, that really sucks. Hope they get you replaced soon, and thanks for keeping us posted.

yur2slo 12-30-2014 11:13 AM

Similar thing happened to my 2010 Grand Sport with just 2,000 miles on it. Had them replace the engine with a complete brand new one and never had an issue after.

355Spider 12-30-2014 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by LFZ (Post 1588597516)
Wow...just wow......I think all C6Z owners know where this could be heading. Damn shame....

Boy no kidding.

Destrukt 12-30-2014 11:14 AM

Sorry to hear brother, thanks for sharing your experience and keep us up updated man.

Lawdogg 12-30-2014 11:14 AM

Glad to hear a new engine is coming without any real hassle from GM.

lawdogg149 12-30-2014 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by LFZ (Post 1588597516)

Yea I was in on that group as well. Also was in on the transmission failures for the C6Z as well. I was told once I dont drive like the other 98% of people that buys these cars. No I dont I buy these cars to use them the way the marketing materials advertise them.

:cheers:

Kracka 12-30-2014 11:18 AM

Option #2 was the correct choice in my opinion, good luck.

FLATOUTVIPER 12-30-2014 11:18 AM

Sorry brother hate to hear that. Glad GM is taking care of it.

quick04Z06 12-30-2014 11:19 AM

Not picking on Lawdogg at all, and I sure am sorry for him, but that 1,500 mile break in is there for a reason. I would go really easy on these cars until you have completed break in. I know everyone wants to see what she'll do, dyno them, track them, etc., but I'd just take it easy and get that 1500 miles first. You still may blow the motor, but I suspect proper break in will help.

keeks2915 12-30-2014 11:19 AM

Sorry to hear about that.

Is there something in the manual about not hammering the car until 1,500 miles?

Regardless this sounds like something different, but I am wondering if GM can somehow pull history on tach and determine redline advice was ignored and try to hoop you.

I would imagine if this issue becomes a trend they will be trying to squirm out of as many $25 k repairs as they can.

NineBall 12-30-2014 11:20 AM

Sorry to hear about this. It happens with many high performance cars, so I won't say GM is alone. What matters is how well they resolve the issue. Warrany exists for a reason. Be glad yours was still stock!

Tony

MavsAK 12-30-2014 11:22 AM

Wonder if this was a defective oil filter like the Stingray failure had?