CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Lawdogg149's Road Atlanta Review (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3589821-lawdogg149s-road-atlanta-review.html)

lawdogg149 01-11-2015 08:14 PM

Lawdogg149's Road Atlanta Review

Well guys I cant post a whole lot tonight got early flight out tomorrow am. Let me start out by saying thank yous to all that came by this weekend. Also let me thank member "Heavy Chevy" for the support and help with getting my personal best lap.

My car is a 2015 Corvette Z06 with the competition seats and level two aero kit. This car is completely stock and setup according to GM's manual for track events. Only exception was I did not change my brake fluid to high temp fluid. Tires are factory Michelin Pilot Super Sport run flats.

Best time with passenger. 1 Minute 35.02 sec.

(see video below fastest lap was between minute mark 24:03 and 25:39)

This weekend was very cold. Todays temps maxed out at 42 degrees at the track.

Data below is from the on board PDR system using the cosworth software:

Max Oil temp: 257*
Max Trans temps: 205*
Max Water temps: 210*
Max speed: 155.6 mph
Avg average mph: 96.70

Let me just say wow again. Never have I ever owned a car that I could not find the limits in two days tracking. My fastest lap was at the end of the second day with a passenger. I tried all weekend to find the car's limits but it keep on taking more and more. I would enter a turn at what I thought was the limit for the car and tires to only find that it stuck. Next lap I would try even faster. I would stick again. Most of my weekend was with passengers. That is what I enjoying doing most. Letting others experience the car as much as I was.

Another driver came over after one session and stated I had passed him in the straight and he quickly moved in behind me to hope to draft. He stated he was to the floor already and that the draft of my car alone made his accelerate. He stated that it actually scared him.

I would say after both days of driving both the viper and the Zo6 the corvette wins the award. I ran several split sessions of 15 mins viper 15 mins Zo6. The corvette was alot quicker and more balanced in the turns. I will have to dig through my gopro videos of the viper to get some lap times from it. Before todays event I was able to find the vipers limits both car and tires the last time I was at Road Atlanta in November. Again I was never able to find the corvette's. This car is meant to be driven harder than I was capable of doing. The power and balance was just so encouraging that it made you want to go faster than your brain would want you to through the turns. Those concerned with the topspeed at Road Atlanta dont be. This car will easily do 160 mph. I just wasn't brave enough yet. I lifted way to earlier.

No over heating issues or timing pulls at all.

Only concern:
My front lug nuts would seem loose after a couple of sessions. I like to at least check them every other session. I had 3 lug nuts never click my torque wrench set at 100 ft lbs.

Now the video::rock:

helip1lot 01-11-2015 08:19 PM

Awesome news thanks Lawdog. I'm there at the end of next month in my Z06 so look forward to beating your lap time ;) Maybe not!!!

occar 01-11-2015 08:21 PM

You have a CFZ on your car, correct?

petecaballero 01-11-2015 08:27 PM

Thanks for your review. Maybe I won't cancel my order just yet. The hater are going to hate your post big time.

zo6 08 01-11-2015 08:53 PM

AWESOME reviews. Thanks for sharing!!!! Not to change up and if you don't mind questions??

I know you had a mishap couple weeks back . How many miles on the new motor and how was your experience with engine swap?? Faster slower than expected? Better or worse than what you expected? As well for quality of job IYO and lastly was replacement motor BG or NY motor??
Thanks Andrew

Steve Snake Driver 01-11-2015 08:53 PM

Thanks!:cheers:

9157 01-11-2015 09:08 PM

AWSOME just AWSOME!!!

Varmit 01-11-2015 09:18 PM

Love it!!!!!!!:cheers:

Tek Jedi 01-11-2015 09:19 PM

Wow very nice!! I can't wait to get my new Z06 to the track!

Good review and even better video:thumbs:

Thanks

WA 2 FST 01-11-2015 09:27 PM

Thanks for sharing!! Love the commentary... "7-speed... is an extra gear for nothing!" ... so, so true.

Mdm23 01-11-2015 09:32 PM

Thanks for sharing. It's always nice hear from those with actual track experience.

descartesfool 01-11-2015 09:32 PM

Thanks for the nice review.

krisa9977 01-11-2015 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by lawdogg149 (Post 1588697744)
Well guys I cant post a whole lot tonight got early flight out tomorrow am. Let me start out by saying thank yous to all that came by this weekend. Also let me thank member "Heavy Chevy" for the support and help with getting my personal best lap.

My car is a 2015 Corvette Z06 with the competition seats and level two aero kit. This car is completely stock and setup according to GM's manual for track events. Only exception was I did not change my brake fluid to high temp fluid. Tires are factory Michelin Pilot Super Sport run flats.

Best time with passenger. 1 Minute 35.02 sec.

(see video below fastest lap was between minute mark 24:03 and 25:39)

This weekend was very cold. Todays temps maxed out at 42 degrees at the track.

Data below is from the on board PDR system using the cosworth software:

Max Oil temp: 257*
Max Trans temps: 205*
Max Water temps: 210*
Max speed: 155.6 mph
Avg average mph: 96.70

Let me just say wow again. Never have I ever owned a car that I could not find the limits in two days tracking. My fastest lap was at the end of the second day with a passenger. I tried all weekend to find the car's limits but it keep on taking more and more. I would enter a turn at what I thought was the limit for the car and tires to only find that it stuck. Next lap I would try even faster. I would stick again. Most of my weekend was with passengers. That is what I enjoying doing most. Letting others experience the car as much as I was.

Another driver came over after one session and stated I had passed him in the straight and he quickly moved in behind me to hope to draft. He stated he was to the floor already and that the draft of my car alone made his accelerate. He stated that it actually scared him.

I would say after both days of driving both the viper and the Zo6 the corvette wins the award. I ran several split sessions of 15 mins viper 15 mins Zo6. The corvette was alot quicker and more balanced in the turns. I will have to dig through my gopro videos of the viper to get some lap times from it. Before todays event I was able to find the vipers limits both car and tires the last time I was at Road Atlanta in November. Again I was never able to find the corvette's. This car is meant to be driven harder than I was capable of doing. The power and balance was just so encouraging that it made you want to go faster than your brain would want you to through the turns. Those concerned with the topspeed at Road Atlanta dont be. This car will easily do 160 mph. I just wasn't brave enough yet. I lifted way to earlier.

No over heating issues or timing pulls at all.

Only concern:
My front lug nuts would seem loose after a couple of sessions. I like to at least check them every other session. I had 3 lug nuts never click my torque wrench set at 100 ft lbs.

Now the video::rock:

Road Atlanta 2015 Corvette Z06 - YouTube

Nice driving, havychevy is a good coach :thumbs:

KKreme15 01-11-2015 09:37 PM

What event was this? Was this an HPDE?

ChucksZ06 01-11-2015 09:40 PM

That is great lawdog. Thanks for sharing.

JackTripper 01-11-2015 09:44 PM

Nice review. Even a better car!

LBinATL 01-11-2015 09:47 PM

Is yours a Z07 car? If not, what are your thoughts on the steel brakes?

Snorman 01-11-2015 09:58 PM

Nice writeup! Good info. No "overheating issues" and you ran great!
Look forward to heavychevy's opinion on how the car ran too!

Just curious...people were reporting that your oil temps were 280-290*. Any truth to this?
S.

rgkeller 01-11-2015 10:01 PM

Thanks

OnPoint 01-11-2015 10:02 PM

Lawdogg,

Great summary.

I too am interested in how your standards brakes held up.