CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Are dealers really that out of touch with used Vettes and the market? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3596290-are-dealers-really-that-out-of-touch-with-used-vettes-and-the-market.html)

not08crmanymore 01-24-2015 11:03 AM

Are dealers really that out of touch with used Vettes and the market?

I have been looking around online for the past week or so because of the ads on here and other sites I visit.Curiosity gets me all the time. lol. I find what i see amusing.I know dealers and people can ask whatever they want for their cars but geez, do they not have a clue?? 2010 GS's for 45 grand...saw a 2013 2LT for 54000 ...THAT'S 6 grand more then I bought mine for new after discounts..2 years ago!! Maybe that's why it's been sitting on the lot for something like 211 days... Sometimes I want to just send an email and say 'wtf IS WRONG WITH YOU?!!LOL. However,I know that's not my place.It is amusing to see though.

1rusty1 01-24-2015 11:18 AM

It comes down to what people are willing to pay for them. You left out some important info on the GS (how many miles, condition and how many owners). I still see base C5s with 50k miles on the clock going for 22k.

I'm always on the lookout for good used cars for some in my family. The thing I wonder about are private owners that are selling 20+ year old ford Taurus, Chevy Cavaliers ect.. with over 150k miles for 3 to 5k but there they are on craigslist.

The 2013 2lt at 54k no matter the condition is a huge reach though.

not08crmanymore 01-24-2015 11:20 AM

It's a 13 2LT WITH 5000 MILES OR SO...the thing is,and I realize it's not the same package,a 2015 1LT can be had for 50,900 or so at Kerbeck. Prices are all over the place.lol

Hameister 01-24-2015 11:25 AM

Out of touch? I don't know, but I've wondered the same thing.

The ad below is common here in South Florida.

Late model Grand Sports, with low mileage, (about 5,000 to 7,000), are bringing $51k to $53k every day.
Higher mileage around 15,000, are still commanding around $47k+.

Mine only cost $56k new, 2 years ago, so I can't complain, but I'm at a loss to explain why these cars are holding their value so well.

Perhaps it's the fact that the base C7 is so much more expensive, and there is no Grand Sport, or wide body available in a C7, except for the Z06 which is way out of range for many folks.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0f1d077b66.jpg

theblue 01-24-2015 11:32 AM

look, the corvette market has all kinds of buyers so some dealerships will go fishing.

you'd be amazed how my idiots will walk in and see a car and "have to have it" with no idea what's it's worth.

I got my 08 with 9k miles on it last year for something like $7k UNDER the dealer's asking price so often these prices don't mean much.

BearZ06 01-24-2015 11:32 AM

This is the explanation for car dealer pricing.

"It's morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money."
W. C. Fields

KBsToy 01-24-2015 02:11 PM

Here in the Pittsburgh area 2013 GS 50 - $55.000 depends on mileage

I bought a 2013 2lt coupe with 1100 miles on it for $40.500

not08crmanymore 01-24-2015 02:20 PM

This is the explanation for car dealer pricing.

"It's morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money."
W. C. Fields
:lol:

Here in the Pittsburgh area 2013 GS 50 - $55.000 depends on mileage

I bought a 2013 2lt coupe with 1100 miles on it for $40.500
Today 11:32 AM
Wow! Where did you find that one? Great deal right there.

*Trip* 01-24-2015 02:49 PM

Not quite a year ago I got my 2012 Inferno Orange 6speed coupe1LT for under $35k...approx 10k miles....big time dealer had it on the lot for $40k but it was listed online for $36k......so I told them my trade value I needed on my vert Cobra and got it.....offered them a little less than online....deal done and driving away in less than an hour....

I had shopped about a year for my c6 (knowing there would be lots of nice trades when the Stingray hit the showrooms) and saw a multitude of beaten and overpriced cars...so in a few years I'll do that again with a c7.... so I suppose I'll be glad if the c6 values stay over inflated....

WEARE1 01-24-2015 03:11 PM

Are you just looking online or going to look at the cars first hand? I just bought my first corvette. I've been looking for about a year...shopping got about a month. I found just looking at prices vs going to physically look at it tells the story.

I found a 2010 GS at the Firs dealer online with 12k for 35k. Went to look at it and it didn't even have HUD. There were some large chips at the door ends from hitting other cars and you could tell from the dries out trim it spent its life out doors. I'd gladly pay 10k more for one that was taken care of.

I looked at multiple that looked good online but we priced a bit high in my mind only to go look and find trashed tan interior.

In the end it's like the purged guys said. It's what YOU are willing to pay. I told my friend I couldn't believe the dealer wasn't willing to accept my full price offer minus taxes, title and tag. He said it's because they know some other idiot will. When it's the right color Combo and options it will bring more and bring it fast.

I settled for what I found to be a steal and it took me a solid few months to find it. Daytona Sunset Orange with black interior. 3lt. Magnetic ride control (F55 option) a borla exhaust. 1 owner. 25k for $26,700.

Before judging price go look at it. Just because you got a deal doesn't mean everyone else will. ;)

MikeERWNC 01-24-2015 03:16 PM

It is not just dealerships...
Some private sellers think that their Corvette is worth $$$.

not08crmanymore 01-24-2015 03:19 PM

It is not just dealerships...
Some private sellers think that their Corvette is worth $$$.
Oh yea,I've seen that out here too. I try not to look at the ad for to long because then I want to email them and ask if they're nuts..lol

gary ss 01-24-2015 05:30 PM

I see a lot of 14 and 15 stingrays on the market.I see prices for 15s being in the high 40s at auction soon.Still a market for 13s and prices will hold for nice ones.I always look for 13s but they must be hibernating,hopefully in a few weeks they will become available

franman69 01-24-2015 06:36 PM

Hey, IF I were going to sell my 07 couple (heavily mod'ed) I'd shoot for the sky and see if I could stumble into a motivated buyer who liked "my car the way I've set it up".. I'd give it a while and if no takers, I'd bring the price back down to earth, or start de-moding the car and selling my parts. Nothing wrong with trying to get too much for your used car. Of course, everyone on here would scoff at my asking price, but that's okay. I wouldn't be advertising on CF... I'd try Craig's list, pennysaver, etc. You never know when some kid with some money saved up might think my "race car" was just his style... just saying.

not08crmanymore 01-24-2015 06:56 PM

I see a lot of 14 and 15 stingrays on the market.I see prices for 15s being in the high 40s at auction soon.Still a market for 13s and prices will hold for nice ones.I always look for 13s but they must be hibernating,hopefully in a few weeks they will become available
Funny,I remember saying a while back that the c7's will do the same as the c6's after the initial hoopla dies down and start selling in the 40's and lower 50's.A few people said nah,no way.it's a c7..blah blah..well,brand new 50900...several used 14's for 50 g's.saw one for in the 40's not to long ago.Still,it may be a more "advanced" car but the damn GS is just a sweet looking car and better looking too in my opinion. Maybe that has something to do with their pricing..

csf 01-24-2015 07:12 PM

Not sure what fair prices should be, but the fact that GM put a bunch of big rebates on the last '13s to clear them out doesn't change the fact that those cars had pretty high MSRPs. A 13 GS bought for $56k probably had an MSRP close to $70k. The rebates are ancient history, and really have no bearing on current resale values.

Good for the seller that bought low and can sell high. Much smarter than the dummies who paid MSRP ( or higher ) for the first C7s.

not08crmanymore 01-24-2015 10:16 PM

Not sure what fair prices should be, but the fact that GM put a bunch of big rebates on the last '13s to clear them out doesn't change the fact that those cars had pretty high MSRPs. A 13 GS bought for $56k probably had an MSRP close to $70k. The rebates are ancient history, and really have no bearing on current resale values.

Good for the seller that bought low and can sell high. Much smarter than the dummies who paid MSRP ( or higher ) for the first C7s.
Well,yes and no.Rebates certainly have an effect on resale to a certain extent.I know how cheap they were selling which is why I laugh at some of the pricing I see out there.Brand new GS 2lt 63 and change msrp..sale price/..48 grand....and yet...there are people looking for 45 or near there for 2010's,2011's...

gary ss 01-25-2015 09:52 AM

Doesn't matter what the price of the 13 was new,market will remain strong for the 12 and 13 cars.Watched a 10 GS 1 LT rag top with 6 k miles break $41grand on friday.

FAUEE 01-25-2015 10:39 AM

The small number of people who tracked the lowest possible price with all the rebates and loyalty discounts don't relate to the overall population. The blow out on the last few cars has essentially no impact on the residuals of the car.

The people on here who think these cars are worth so little are the guys who are out of touch. ;)

C6 Snowboarder 01-25-2015 10:45 AM

My 2 cents.

Dealers generally ask much higher prices for used cars due the fact most car owners owe more on the car loan than their present car is worth, so in order to make a sale they need to increase the trade in $$ to make the new deal work.