CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Manual transmission owners: Are you using Active Rev Match? Why or why not? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3612000-manual-transmission-owners-are-you-using-active-rev-match-why-or-why-not.html)

Rockmaninoff 02-24-2015 05:06 PM

Manual transmission owners: Are you using Active Rev Match? Why or why not?

I'm very excited to take delivery of my new C7 in a few weeks, and wanted to get an idea for whether folks are using the active rev match feature or not.

I test drove the M7 version and didn't find it to my liking, but that was just an initial impression. I turned it on and, when coming to a stop, the sound of the engine revving high was really foreign to me. I'm guessing it's something I could get used to but I turned it off pretty quickly after that.

Do you find yourself using active rev match? Why or why not? Is it something that has special use cases, for example if you haven't learned to heel-toe and are taking it to the track? On my previous car, a Subaru WRX STi, I would rev match on down shifts, but the automatic rev matching the C7 is reported to be much more accurate.

Thanks all!

davidtcpa 02-24-2015 05:10 PM

Truth be told, I don't know how to use it!!! I don't track the car, but I would still like to learn how/when to use rev match. At least I would try it!! :willy:

Rockmaninoff 02-24-2015 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by davidtcpa (Post 1589041408)
Truth be told, I don't know how to use it!!! I don't track the car, but I would still like to learn how/when to use rev match. At least I would try it!! :willy:

If you've got the M7, simply clicking one of the paddle shifters will activate Active Rev Match. The gear selector on the display will change color to indicate whether Active Rev Match is on or off.

Supersonic 427 02-24-2015 05:12 PM

I use it, especially like it when downshifting.

Blue Demon 02-24-2015 05:13 PM

I use it when on sporty type roads or during high speeds. When driving around town and at slow speeds I have it disengaged.

autoxnut 02-24-2015 05:15 PM

I turn mine on every time I get in the car. It makes shifts smoother than I can consistently make without it. I have found no down side to using it.

Rockmaninoff 02-24-2015 05:20 PM

Does it "override" the throttle during shifts? I would always apply the throttle smoothly while releasing the clutch when upshifting, and I'm wondering if active rev match overrides that, or if I'll have to unlearn that habit to enjoy it in full.

11B250 02-24-2015 05:35 PM

all it does is blip your rpm into the next gear so you don't jolt forward when you let off the clutch. matches engine rpm to what it should be in that gear at that speed.

There really is no need for it in regular driving conditions.

ferd1971 02-24-2015 05:38 PM

I usually drive in Sport mode with the ARM on. I find the ARM make the shifting smoother...especially downshifting.

Dr Jay 02-24-2015 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff (Post 1589041494)
Does it "override" the throttle during shifts? I would always apply the throttle smoothly while releasing the clutch when upshifting, and I'm wondering if active rev match overrides that, or if I'll have to unlearn that habit to enjoy it in full.

Yes, it blips the throttle. You can, of course, override it, but there is no reason to do so. It's really a nice feature and works well, but if you don't like it, don't use it.

steve miller 02-24-2015 05:40 PM

This is just just my opinion.......the c7 is the first car I've ever owned with this feature..I tried it once.....no feeling feeling either way.....driven standards for 40+years without it..:D

JDM111er 02-24-2015 05:44 PM

I've never used it.

Mdm23 02-24-2015 05:44 PM

The only time I don't use it is when I forget to turn it on. It enhances the everday driving experience imo. Doesn't have to be strictly track use.

davidtcpa 02-24-2015 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff (Post 1589041420)
If you've got the M7, simply clicking one of the paddle shifters will activate Active Rev Match. The gear selector on the display will change color to indicate whether Active Rev Match is on or off.

That part I knew!!

TEXHAWK0 02-24-2015 05:53 PM

For normal driving, I do not really use it...
IF you are driving where you need to clutch and make the downshift without hesitation, the rev matching does work...
I saw a video where a Corvette was being tested that way, and rev matching was near flawless.
If I can find the video I remember, I will post it...

Larry/car 02-24-2015 06:04 PM

There is a learning curve to enhance the feature. I use mine entering curves downshifting into second, sometimes third. Works well up shifting second, third, and fourth. I turn mine on and off as appropriate. I like it - 2014 vin #22487.

dajayc 02-24-2015 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by autoxnut (Post 1589041449)
I turn mine on every time I get in the car. It makes shifts smoother than I can consistently make without it. I have found no down side to using it.

:iagree: I use it every time.

Does anyone know if there is a way to ALWAYS leave it on? Its not hard turning it on every time I get in the car, but it would be nice if it was set to be on by default.

Bill Dearborn 02-24-2015 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by steve miller (Post 1589041645)
This is just just my opinion.......the c7 is the first car I've ever owned with this feature..I tried it once.....no feeling feeling either way.....driven standards for 40+years without it..:D

On streets and highways where the car is driven like any other car it really doesn't provide a benefit. Most people don't even down shift that much when driving around town. They see a stop coming up hit the brake and then push in the clutch and shift to low gear after the car comes to a stop.

However, on the track it can really improve the rev matching over heel and toe and take a certain amount of concentration work load off a novice driver and for an experienced driver reduce the chance of getting the revs matched incorrectly.

I know in my C6Z I really have to blip the throttle to hear it respond otherwise I may not get enough of a blip. But with all of the noise in the car it is easy to get too much of a blip and get a push from the engine when the clutch is let out.

Bill

josebrwn 02-24-2015 06:26 PM

rev match

I do not use rev match in heavy traffic because the throttle blip accelerates the car unexpectedly when gently downshifting, as when surrounded by cars approaching a light. It is useful if you want to avoid compression braking, which is really what it's designed for: hard braking without upsetting the car.

Philr56 02-24-2015 07:15 PM

I use it when I'm in the mood for some spirited driving on a nice stretch of twisty roads. Around town, not so much. But it's a blast when you use it. Enjoy!