CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Home made cold air intake (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3612691-home-made-cold-air-intake.html)

dentalfloss 02-26-2015 07:36 AM

Home made cold air intake

6 Attachment(s)

dentalfloss 02-26-2015 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another pic

Bigredwing 02-26-2015 07:43 AM

Very inventive and thanks for the pictures! Let us know if you document or observe any performance improvement.

C6ToGo 02-26-2015 07:44 AM

Nice. And effective. Mine is similar except my scoop is the bottom part of a black plastic office trash can. I also wrapped the intake all the way to the TB.

I say effective because I got a tune and he used the settings for one of those high-dollar CAIs and he told me that he needed to make no adjustments to it. Both provided equal air flow.

PDsVettes 02-26-2015 09:43 AM

Did you make the foil separator from a sunscreen or something else?

dentalfloss 02-26-2015 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Patdown (Post 1589054282)
Did you make the foil separator from a sunscreen or something else?

Yes, a universal windshield sunshade. It had been laying around my garage for years and I finally found a use for it. I used self taping screws through it and the plastic shrouding.

maryvillept 02-26-2015 12:17 PM

Not to bash you but well maybe it is. This is a corvette for crying out loud. This makes it look cheap and you look cheap. Just my .02. Feel like some of these homemade mods are more for the c5 and c4 crew not the c6 at least not yet.

airmed2 02-26-2015 12:59 PM

I love creativity, and have made some items for my Vette as well. I believe you definitely get points on that aspect, but I have to agree with maryvillept on this particular one. Some enhancements are simply better left to the aftermarket providers, and this falls into that category. But, we're all different, and that's what great about our Country and our rights.

C6ToGo 02-26-2015 01:19 PM

Are you guys who say it looks cheap the kind of guys who take a bone-stock vette to the local car show and lift the hood to "show" it off??

I don't think anyone but me has looked under my hood in 8 years. Looks fine to me.

With the work required to cut and install a $400 CAI, it is much easier to gap the bottom of the shroud, add a scoop and separate the engine heat from the intake air. With same performance as my tune indicates.

airmed2 02-26-2015 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by C6ToGo (Post 1589055981)
Are you guys who say it looks cheap the kind of guys who take a bone-stock vette to the local car show and lift the hood to "show" it off??

No:crazy2:

ruxvette 02-26-2015 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by maryvillept (Post 1589055512)
Not to bash you but well maybe it is. This is a corvette for crying out loud. This makes it look cheap and you look cheap. Just my .02. Feel like some of these homemade mods are more for the c5 and c4 crew not the c6 at least not yet...the wannabes?:toetap:.

Just my $0.02...it is a bash. It's a freakin car. I love the ingenuity...the "hey, what about this" thought process...the build it from stuff laying around...that's hot rodding!
I have no idea what age the OP is but, man, think outside the box. Improvise. Don't be afraid to be a leader! :cheers:

dentalfloss 02-26-2015 01:35 PM

You guys have your opinions and that's ok. After installing a performance cam kit, headers, crank balance, heavy duty clutch, $650. tune from ECS, etc. I am giving my wallet a break. spending $400. on a CAI is about last on my list. Next would be an intake manifold when my wallet is thick enough. Thanks for sticking up for me C6ToGO

HBsurfer 02-26-2015 02:07 PM

That is real hot rod stuff there. Nice job. By the way, a lot of the CAI on the market are not even breathing cold air.

yellowzron 02-26-2015 05:21 PM

Its your car and I give you an A for creativity. I would not put in on my car.

Mikado463 02-26-2015 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by dentalfloss (Post 1589055028)
Yes, a universal windshield sunshade. It had been laying around my garage for years and I finally found a use for it. I used self taping screws through it and the plastic shrouding.

way to get creative 'Floss', hope it proves beneficial !

Originally Posted by maryvillept (Post 1589055512)
Not to bash you but well maybe it is. This is a corvette for crying out loud. This makes it look cheap and you look cheap. Just my .02. Feel like some of these homemade mods are more for the c5 and c4 crew not the c6 at least not yet.

Mary, your post makes you 'look ignorant' ………...

rsparks64 02-26-2015 05:34 PM

What happened to the OEM intake?

former50 02-26-2015 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 1589058018)

:iagree: very ignorant.

VET4LES 02-26-2015 07:01 PM

I like it. Good job. :flag:

maryvillept 02-26-2015 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 1589058018)

Explain the ignorance..... meaning where's my lack in knowledge (definition). First of all, hp gains from aftermarket cai are minimal to neglible. It's his car, he can do as he pleases. It's not for me in the least bit due to aesthetics with minimal function. Now back to my question how am i ignorant?

Streetbeast 02-26-2015 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by maryvillept (Post 1589058779)
Explain the ignorance..... meaning where's my loss in knowledge (definition). First of all, hp gains from aftermarket cai are minimal to neglible. It's his car, he can do as he pleases. It's not for me in the least bit due to aesthetics with minimal function. Now back to my question how am i ignorant?

Ignorance is lack of knowledge not loss in knowledge like you said so that shows your ignorance right there :rofl:
But I'm sure they were calling you ignorant for bashing his idea/intake
If you don't like it that's fine but why do you have to come on his post and talk bad about it and him coulda kept shut and moved on :thumbs:
Bottom line it's his car and he can do what he wants its people like you who give us normal owners a snobby bad name!! That is all :salute:

Op great job