CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Cargo hatch lights don't work (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3613944-cargo-hatch-lights-dont-work.html)

MDstar2 02-28-2015 08:10 PM

Cargo hatch lights don't work

Hey all. My cargo lights don't work on my 89. The hatch release works, all of the other interior lights work. The interior lights come on when each door is open and with the headlight/dome light switch. The cargo lights won't work with the hatch open or any of the switches on. I'm not getting any indications on the dash with the hatch open either. They have never worked since I have owned the car. Does anyone have an idea or a schematic for this? Thanks!

HlhnEast 03-01-2015 10:56 AM

Not to be a smart azz but have you checked the bulbs and the sockets for 12V? I always check the simple stuff first because we often overlook the obvious. I would then check the plunger switch at the hatch release mechanism altho if they dont light with opening the door, I would think they wouldnt be the issue. It may be dirty or damaged. Check for 12v there as well. Other than that its just a hunt and peck to find out where the problem lies. You may find where your PO has disconnected a wire because of a short or something.

Good luck!

MDstar2 03-01-2015 03:45 PM

I don't have power at the lights. I have tested the ground through the plunger and it's working. I was looking for a schematic to find where they get their power from.

Cliff Harris 03-01-2015 05:24 PM

On my car there is a module that controls the rear hatch lights (on the right):

http://www.misterpeachy.com/VettePic...ease_Relay.JPG

HlhnEast 03-01-2015 05:51 PM

Cliff, would it be logical then at this module there will be 12v and two input circuits, one from the doors/lightswitch and one from the hatch plunger?

70ZZ3 96LT4 03-01-2015 06:56 PM

no lgts

Originally Posted by HlhnEast (Post 1589081657)
Cliff, would it be logical then at this module there will be 12v and two input circuits, one from the doors/lightswitch and one from the hatch plunger?

I would be happy without any interior lights on my 1984 and 1996 Corvettes. Can't pull the fuse for them because there are so many other things that use the same fuse. Actually I did think about removing the bulbs just today. These lights stay on to long after I shut the doors.

Cliff Harris 03-01-2015 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by 70ZZ3 96LT4 (Post 1589082165)
These lights stay on to long after I shut the doors.

My recollection is that they are supposed to stay on for 45 seconds. I could be wrong on that and it might be one minute. Certainly no longer than one minute, though. The important thing is that they do turn off or your battery will soon go dead.

Hot Rod Roy 03-02-2015 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by MDstar2 (Post 1589080638)
I don't have power at the lights.

You should have 12v. at the cargo lamp sockets at all times. They are switched on by a ground circuit thru the diode module shown in Cliff's picture (the module at the right in his photo).

Does your power antenna work? Does your spare tire lamp work? (Just in case: it's located in the center of the car, under your rear bumper). These two things are wired to the same spot in your harness, and also should have 12v. at all times.

Need an answer to this before proceeding.

:cool:

MDstar2 03-02-2015 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy (Post 1589084345)
You should have 12v. at the cargo lamp sockets at all times. They are switched on by a ground circuit thru the diode module shown in Cliff's picture (the module at the right in his photo).

Does your power antenna work? Does your spare tire lamp work? (Just in case: it's located in the center of the car, under your rear bumper). These two things are wired to the same spot in your harness, and also should have 12v. at all times.

Need an answer to this before proceeding.

Thanks for the reply. Power antenna does work fine. I have not seen the spare tire light either. It's just the spare tire and cargo lights. No power at the cargo light sockets.

Hot Rod Roy 03-02-2015 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MDstar2 (Post 1589084935)
I have not seen the spare tire light either.

I'm not sure what you mean by this comment. Have you found your spare tire lamp? Does it come on when you open a door? If no, is the light bulb good? Do you have 12v. at the socket? It should have 12v. at all times.

MDstar2 03-02-2015 03:39 PM

Right now the car is parked in the back of the garage against the wall. I'll bring it back out when the snow goes away. I have looked for the spare tire light and have never seen anything lit up under the car. I'll start there when I move the car. I would guess I need to look at that module and the connections there if I don't have power at the spare tire light.

Hot Rod Roy 03-02-2015 05:24 PM

The diode module has nothing to do with the lack of 12v. at the hatch lights sockets or the spare tire light socket. The diode module is on the ground side of the lamp circuitry. If you don't have 12v. at the sockets, your lights can't work.

It is strange that your antenna will go up and down. All of these devices get their 12v. from connector C124 pin D, which is located behind the RH end of the instrument panel. I'm wondering if someone may have cut the wires to your cargo lamps, because they couldn't figure out the hatch switch. You'll probably have to remove the plastic "halo" panels to check this out.

MDstar2 03-02-2015 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy (Post 1589089278)
The diode module has nothing to do with the lack of 12v. at the hatch lights sockets or the spare tire light socket. The diode module is on the ground side of the lamp circuitry. If you don't have 12v. at the sockets, your lights can't work.

It is strange that your antenna will go up and down. All of these devices get their 12v. from connector C124 pin D, which is located behind the RH end of the instrument panel. I'm wondering if someone may have cut the wires to your cargo lamps, because they couldn't figure out the hatch switch. You'll probably have to remove the plastic "halo" panels to check this out.

Thanks so much for the info! That's exactly what I needed. The car was beat and hacked when I got it. All of the wires were cut when someone replaced the radio with an aftermarket unit. So who knows. The connector is on the passenger side of the dash? Or to the right of the instrument cluster? Thanks again for all of your info.

gerardvg 03-02-2015 08:22 PM

Hi

There are differences with the courtesy delay timer's.
My original one would light the hatch area with the door opening, the second hand replacement delay timer is different. Open door and floor lights door lights and mirror lights work, the rear hatch cargo lights only work when the hatch is opened. The delay is around 30 seconds for the lights to go out when the car has been locked.

See the Corvettecentral website below, regarding different part numbers for the courtesy lights delay timer board. :thumbs:

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...ar=&part=delay timer&searchtype=50

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50f&ukey=29998

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50f&ukey=29596

Hot Rod Roy 03-02-2015 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by gerardvg (Post 1589090789)
There are differences with the courtesy delay timer's. My original one would light the hatch area with the door opening, the second hand replacement delay timer is different. Open door and floor lights door lights and mirror lights work, the rear hatch cargo lights only work when the hatch is opened.

All that may be true, but the delay timer is on the ground (earth) side of the lamp circuit, and has nothing to do with the OP's lack of 12v. at his light sockets. Since he has no 12v. at his lights, but his antenna operates properly, the only answer is disconnected sockets.

If there is tampering at his hatch switch, he would still have 12v. at his cargo lamp sockets, so that's not the stated problem. There may be other problems, but they aren't related to his lack of 12v. at the cargo lights.

Cliff Harris 03-04-2015 01:20 AM

The spare tire light looks like this (the orange glow is not normal -- the bulb was bad):

http://www.misterpeachy.com/VettePic...Tire_Light.JPG

As Roy mentioned, this light should come on any time the interior lights are on.

MDstar2 03-04-2015 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris (Post 1589100517)
The spare tire light looks like this (the orange glow is not normal -- the bulb was bad):

http://www.misterpeachy.com/VettePic...Tire_Light.JPG

As Roy mentioned, this light should come on any time the interior lights are on.

Thanks Cliff. I have never seen that light before. I'll check it out in few weeks. Thank you all for your help! It's appreciated.

MDstar2 03-28-2015 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy (Post 1589089278)

Ok....... I apologize. I was wrong. After tearing the freaking car completely apart, it does have 12 volts to the lights. On both sides of the sockets there is 12 volts. Even with the bulb out, there is 12 volts on each side.
So I'm definitely missing the ground, not the positive.

Hot Rod Roy 03-29-2015 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by MDstar2 (Post 1589290536)
Ok, it does have 12 volts to the lights. On both sides of the sockets there is 12 volts. Even with the bulb out, there is 12 volts on each side.

OK, time to re-think. Open a door and the hatch. Are the door courtesy lights (near the door handles) on? Remove both cargo light bulbs. Do you still measure 12v. on both sides of the cargo light sockets?

Don't worry about connector C124. If that was bad, your antenna wouldn't work.

AGENT 86 03-29-2015 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by MDstar2 (Post 1589075046)
Hey all. My cargo lights don't work on my 89. The hatch release works, all of the other interior lights work. The interior lights come on when each door is open and with the headlight/dome light switch. The cargo lights won't work with the hatch open or any of the switches on. I'm not getting any indications on the dash with the hatch open either. They have never worked since I have owned the car. Does anyone have an idea or a schematic for this? Thanks!

I would look to see if the diode module is there and plugged in.
If it is, it is likely bad. It controls ground to cargo lights and dash indicator.
Here is the schematic from my 86 manual.

http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Interior%20Lights.pdf