CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   How to maintain factory leather (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3617921-how-to-maintain-factory-leather.html)

huntemor 03-08-2015 10:34 PM

How to maintain factory leather

So I've tried a few searches but want to get to the right info. I've got a new to me 2007 c6 z51 with the two tone leather option (black & red). The car has 14.7k miles on it and the leather is in fantastic shape right now. However, I have seen in older cars, the damage that can happen to these seats. What is the best way to make sure this doesn't happen. I've seen proponents of Z10 and Leatherique and 303 UV coating but want the most practical approach. Not trying to start fights here. :blueangel: Help a brother out.

RocketDawg 03-08-2015 10:43 PM

I don't do much of anything to mine except keep it clean. I've used leather cream a couple of times but I don't think it's really necessary. I think you have to be careful if you do that on the perforated seats ...might clog the holes. Over time, the leather looks a bit "crinkly", but to me the old leather look just gives it some class.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only real leather parts of the seats are the sitting surfaces, i.e., the center of the bottom and the center of the back. The bolsters and headrests are simulated leather. And for good reason ... it wears a lot longer. I had real leather on a previous car on tbe bolsters and had to replace the one by the door twice because getting in and out wore a hole in it. That doesn't happen with the vinyl (or whatever it is).

Richard Ames 03-08-2015 10:44 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...62b840f6da.jpg
A leather cleaner and treatment from Mothers, Meguires, Addams etc should do the trick. I also use a California Pop Top to block the sun in our Sunny Hot location.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f099611d11.jpg

ProfessorDeath 03-09-2015 12:38 AM

Our seats are not really leather, kind of a vinyl like material. A damp cloth and maybe a tiny bit of leather treatment is fine.

Torquem 03-09-2015 02:09 AM

Even the real leather parts are urethane coated. You're wasting your time with leather cleaners and conditioners. Just use 303 to keep sun from damaging and keep them clean with a mild water/pH balanced soap mixture.

huntemor 03-11-2015 01:06 PM

How to maintain factory leather

looks like 303 is the best option for prevention. it looks like in a lot of cases the vinyl/leather is dried out. is there any way/point to "rehydrate" the seats.

FixItFlyIt 03-11-2015 01:28 PM

I'm planning on getting some Wet Okole covers to protect my pretty red leather seats.

I had a set of those covers on my Jeep Wrangler and they are FANTASTIC. Fit is excellent, quality is high, and they don't fade easily. They add a little cushioning too. The only warning I issue is that if you live somewhere where it is really hot and you drive topless for a long time, you might get some swamp butt because the neoprene will make you sweat if you are stuck in it for a while in the heat!

hotinaztoo 03-11-2015 01:45 PM

Keeping the leather seats nice!

The best way to keep the drivers seat nice is to learn how to get in and out of the car w/o doing damage to the side bolsters. With the door open, back up to the opening, and set straight down with your legs planted on the driveway, so you are not sliding across the bolster. My car is nine years old and the seats look like new. I just use a damp cloth to wipe them off occasionally! You can use a protectant but with the leather/ vinyl that is used, has a film from the factory already on it!:cool:

Originally Posted by huntemor (Post 1589137489)
So I've tried a few searches but want to get to the right info. I've got a new to me 2007 c6 z51 with the two tone leather option (black & red). The car has 14.7k miles on it and the leather is in fantastic shape right now. However, I have seen in older cars, the damage that can happen to these seats. What is the best way to make sure this doesn't happen. I've seen proponents of Z10 and Leatherique and 303 UV coating but want the most practical approach. Not trying to start fights here. :blueangel: Help a brother out.

JAvery20 03-11-2015 02:00 PM

Watch keeping your wallet in your back pocket while driving. I put a nice hole in my C5 seats from that after awhile. I did put 86k on my C5, but I usually don't sit on my wallet in my C6 now.

windyC6 03-11-2015 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by hotinaztoo (Post 1589157221)
The best way to keep the drivers seat nice is to learn how to get in and out of the car w/o doing damage to the side bolsters. With the door open, back up to the opening, and set straight down with your legs planted on the driveway, so you are not sliding across the bolster. My car is nine years old and the seats look like new. I just use a damp cloth to wipe them off occasionally! You can use a protectant but with the leather/ vinyl that is used, has a film from the factory already on it!:cool:

Great point. Mine is going on 9 years old also and I've done the same thing on exit and entrance. But I won't quite go so far as to say the seats still look like new. But they do look a lot better than most of the ones I've seen about the same age.

haberman13 03-11-2015 02:55 PM

http://www.premiumboatcare.com/gold-...hannelid=FROOG

I've used that (it's in most auto stores) on all of my cars.

No cracks or any other problems. My BMW was 15 yrs old and the seats looked new.

jrose7004 03-11-2015 04:14 PM

Main thing you can do to keep them looking new is not to drag your body over the bolsters getting in and out of the car. Place your rear in the middle of the seat then lift your feet in.

blittle 03-11-2015 05:22 PM

Agree with everything said here....but would add that I have used Zaino leather care product on all my leather equipped vehicles and it may not be necessary but it sure smells like the real deal and i think adds a more supple, softer feel to older leather. But you will read all kinds of opinions .....just do what you think makes the seats look good!

windyC6 03-11-2015 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1589158451)
Main thing you can do to keep them looking new is not to drag your body over the bolsters getting in and out of the car. Place your rear in the middle of the seat then lift your feet in.

Lets not forget about the Wizard Of Oz shuffle and kick those feet together once or twice before swinging them in....LOL

jrose7004 03-11-2015 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by windyC6 (Post 1589159031)
Lets not forget about the Wizard Of Oz shuffle and kick those feet together once or twice before swinging them in....LOL

Getting out you do the Corvette roll. One hand down on the sill then lift yourself out.

DinoBob 04-06-2016 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by windyC6 (Post 1589159031)

That is exactly how I get in my car. Thought I was the only one.

ruxvette 04-06-2016 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1589160741)
Getting out you do the Corvette roll. One hand down on the sill then lift yourself out.

Huh. I put my left hand on the ground, tuck my right shoulder, and roll. Looks silly, but...well, looks silly. :rock:

Not So Fast 04-06-2016 06:30 PM

You and them gorilla arms :rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm lucky to reach the doorsill.
NSF

KyJim 04-06-2016 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Torquem (Post 1589138410)
Even the real leather parts are urethane coated. You're wasting your time with leather cleaners and conditioners. Just use 303 to keep sun from damaging and keep them clean with a mild water/pH balanced soap mixture.

Torquem is right on. They spray the leather with a tinted urethane coating so the leather and vinyl sections are the same color and to protect the leather. Any conditioner applied just lays on the material and in fact collects dirt which can cause damage to the seams. The conditioner also evaporates and leaves an oily film on the glass.

I just clean mine with Meguiar's All-Purpose cleaner diluted 10:1 using distilled water, followed by a wipe down with Meguiar's X-Press spray wax. My seats look new as do my Tahoe seats which are 8 years old.

Check out Darren Priest and his videos on how to clean and maintain leather seats. :D

gsflyer2011 04-06-2016 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by DinoBob
That is exactly how I get in my car. Thought I was the only one.

Me too, in all my cars and for centuries!:rock: