CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   How good is a aftermarket short shifter on a GS? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3619430-how-good-is-a-aftermarket-short-shifter-on-a-gs.html)

tibasnatch 03-11-2015 09:00 PM

How good is a aftermarket short shifter on a GS?

I have had plenty of manual cars and have hardly ever missed a shift...got on it a couple times the past 2 days against other cars and both times missed 2nd gear....I didnt grind it at all I just totally missed it like hitting inbetween 2 and 4th gears.

I think I already read before alot of people love the aftermarket shifter but I forgot the brand?

Also is it easy to install and how good does it really work?

MKenM 03-11-2015 09:14 PM

Here is the one that most swear by. The video on how to install it is there also. MGW Short Throw Shifter

teebee 03-11-2015 10:08 PM

I purchased a "Core" shifter. I like it pretty well. Better than the OE model I took out.

Seadawg 03-12-2015 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by MKenM (Post 1589160967)
Here is the one that most swear by. The video on how to install it is there also. MGW Short Throw Shifter

:iagree: Most out here on the forum go with this one.

Having said that, search for Ranger (he's a forum member from way back), and in several of his posts, he gives really good advice on how to use the factory shifter better.

I rarely miss a shift (still with the OEM setup), and I'm on it and thru the gears several times a day in my 2011 GS MN6.

But if I change, it will be to an MGW shifter

Hameister 03-12-2015 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by MKenM (Post 1589160967)

:iagree: Probably the best choice.
Although I am surprised that you've missed 2nd. Just a straight pull with slight left side pressure.
The gear that most folks tend to miss, is 3rd. Like hitting a wall with the stick.
While it's happened to me several times, I've not yet found it sufficiently annoying the require replacing the shifter.

mysloride 03-12-2015 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Seadawg (Post 1589163024)

Having said that, search for Ranger (he's a forum member from way back), and in several of his posts, he gives really good advice on how to use the factory shifter better.

I rarely miss a shift (still with the OEM setup), and I'm on it and thru the gears several times a day in my 2011 GS MN6.

:iagree:

I started shifting (speed shifting that is) with the hand positions that Ranger described and it made night and day difference in my shifts

Hameister 03-12-2015 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Seadawg (Post 1589163024)

Originally Posted by mysloride (Post 1589163288)
:iagree:

I started shifting (speed shifting that is) with the hand positions that Ranger described and it made night and day difference in my shifts

:iagree: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-shifting.html

My shifting technique from 1st to 2nd varies slightly from Ranger.
I pull back on the stick with cupped fingers, but also apply a slight pressure to the left, which insures I don't get caught in that 2nd/4th dead spot.

JakeC6Racing 03-12-2015 03:49 PM

I was missing 3rd in my GS and I upgraded to the MGW. Well worth the money.

Patsgarage 03-12-2015 06:21 PM

I too have changed over to the MGW and love it, but it seemes to me that the shifter knob made almost as big a difference as the shifter itself. With the stock one I had to hold the side of the knob, while the MGW allows me to be on top of it.

v26278 03-12-2015 07:33 PM

Another vote for MGW. Clicks into gear with precision, and still works flawlessly after three years of daily driving and thousands of shifts, probably tens of thousands.

tibasnatch 03-13-2015 12:22 AM

Where is the best place to order this MGW shifter and was it a tough install?

v26278 03-13-2015 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by tibasnatch (Post 1589170470)
Where is the best place to order this MGW shifter and was it a tough install?

Order direct at www.mgwltd.com

They have an installation video that makes it pretty easy. It took me a couple of hours, but I was taking my time. The hardest part is unclipping some electrical connectors without breaking them.

Jcbarr25 03-13-2015 03:43 AM

before you upgrade, hows ur shifting when driving under normal conditions??? do you have any issues with second or any other gear? have you checked the condition of the hydraulic cutch fluid?

RaceNH 03-14-2015 04:23 PM

Wondering if anyone has one or has comments on the new flat stick shifter? I like the older version with being able to install at the 7 o'clock or 1 o'clock depending on how far away you desire the shifter. Doesn't seem to be able to do that option with the flat stick style. I do like the look of the flat stick though.

GM'er 03-14-2015 08:57 PM

I was constantly missing third with my stock shifter on my 2012 GS (get hung up on the gate between 1st and 3rd). I upgraded to the MGW, and now I NEVER miss 3rd anymore, but somehow I am constantly missing 2nd with the MGW (letting out the clutch before it is engaged all the way into 2nd. I'm not sure what to do now.

05Z51C6 03-14-2015 09:11 PM

Those that got the MGW...who all got it with both shafts? Prefer the stock knob on it, or the MGW knobs?

v26278 03-15-2015 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by GM'er (Post 1589183656)
I was constantly missing third with my stock shifter on my 2012 GS (get hung up on the gate between 1st and 3rd). I upgraded to the MGW, and now I NEVER miss 3rd anymore, but somehow I am constantly missing 2nd with the MGW (letting out the clutch before it is engaged all the way into 2nd. I'm not sure what to do now.

I will occasionally have the same problem with second gear. I think it's partly the transmission, it seems to have two little points of resistance on the way into 2nd after you pass through the neutral gate - sometimes you let off after only the first one- and partly due to the mechanics of the shorter throw MGW. You lose some leverage, and it takes a little more effort. I never have a problem when the adrenaline's flowing, only when I'm loafing it and shifting without thinking about it.

Cybernetic Medic 03-15-2015 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by v26278 (Post 1589187028)
... I never have a problem when the adrenaline's flowing, only when I'm loafing it and shifting without thinking about it.

I think it's due more to shifting at higher RPM than the amount of adrenaline flowing but there is probably a direct relationship. :D I never experience notchy shifting at higher RPM. It's the around town lower RPM shifting where it's notchy until the trans gets thoroughly warmed up.

Huskerman 03-15-2015 12:58 PM

I went with the Core shifter with an old school Hurst shifter and shift knob and haven't missed 3rd since....love the way it works and looks.....

Mike's LS3 03-15-2015 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by JakeC6Racing (Post 1589166621)
I was missing 3rd in my GS and I upgraded to the MGW. Well worth the money.

:iagree: After about 30k miles, I too was missing third with the stock shifter. Technique was not the issue, worn or torn bushing were. Purchased a MGW shifter and shifter box and never had the issue again! The stock shifter is a p.o.s.!