CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   4 post lift for garage. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3627725-4-post-lift-for-garage.html)

StanFerguson 03-27-2015 06:10 PM

4 post lift for garage.

I am looking for a 4 post lift. I have recently aquired a second vette to go with my C7. I bought an 85 C4. I need a 4 post lift to store both inside and to do rookie maintenance such as oil changes and to check for leaks and that stuff.

What lift to get that will fit a C7 and a C4. I don't want the tires hanging off the outside or inside.

I have been looking at the backyard buddy and the bendpak. Any others worth looking at?

ENCT 03-27-2015 06:17 PM

I have a Direct Lift Pro Park 9 plus, works great.
Eric

pops_vette 03-27-2015 06:51 PM

4-post lift

Originally Posted by StanFerguson (Post 1589282428)
I am looking for a 4 post lift. I have recently aquired a second vette to go with my C7. I bought an 85 C4. I need a 4 post lift to store both inside and to do rookie maintenance such as oil changes and to check for leaks and that stuff.

What lift to get that will fit a C7 and a C4. I don't want the tires hanging off the outside or inside.

I have been looking at the backyard buddy and the bendpak. Any others worth looking at?

I have a Direct Lift also. Had it for over 7 years. No problems.

pastohio 03-27-2015 07:11 PM

Backyards are too high, I don't like how the cable pulls down on the inside of the post, mine has over 12 in posts and the cable is in the middle of the post, never can touch or get near the cables...also locks, etc...also enclosed inside the posts, also bought the wheel kit to move around, no matter where you put it, you change your mind later...also get the longer aluminum ramps, easier to lift and also handles the low front ends on most cars..a lot of companies throw in at least one jack stand and get the 3 drip trays as well, nice to have ...my $.02

StanFerguson 03-27-2015 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ENCT (Post 1589282467)
I have a Direct Lift Pro Park 9 plus, works great.
Eric

I looked it up and it has 81" of clearance I won't hit my head!!! The backyard buddy is 7000 lbs and only 68" under the runners. Another thing I can't find a price for the backyard buddy. Wtf you have to contact them. Seriously I don't want to talk to anybody.

StanFerguson 03-27-2015 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by pastohio (Post 1589282866)
Backyards are too high, I don't like how the cable pulls down on the inside of the post, mine has over 12 in posts and the cable is in the middle of the post, never can touch or get near the cables...also locks, etc...also enclosed inside the posts, also bought the wheel kit to move around, no matter where you put it, you change your mind later...also get the longer aluminum ramps, easier to lift and also handles the low front ends on most cars..a lot of companies throw in at least one jack stand and get the 3 drip trays as well, nice to have ...my $.02

Thanks a lot I didn't even think about the hard to get at hardware inside the post. I was just thinking the 4 sided post would be stronger. But I am only lifting 3500 lbs anyway. And why is the backyard buddy only rated for 7000 lbs it looks beefier than the other ones maybe its the week lifting motor.

FredC7 03-27-2015 07:50 PM

I bought an Eagle 4-post lift on Ebay back when they were selling them there. I has a 7,000 lb capacity and comes with aluminum ramps, caster wheels, drip trays and the jack bridge for only $1,699 delivered. If it was shipped to a commercial address the shipping was free otherwise it was $200 Shipping. I had it delivered to a friend's local tow company who pulled it off the truck on to their ramp truck. My friend helped me put it together and then bought two more for his own garage. I have never had a problem with this lift. A fellow club member bought one last year and they have made some improvements with the braking system on the legs.
I think that they currently sell for around $2,100 online at Eagle Lifts. The ones that you are looking at cost twice as much.

Check out the Eagle Lifts:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...453a32b019.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5907838bc7.jpg

HAD2HAV2 03-27-2015 09:08 PM

Quality Lift, 220 volt, since 2010. It was installed on reinforced concrete. It has paid for it self with 2 transmission pulls, several break jobs and a radiator install where the radiator casing had to be cut to fit. What is so great if you are working on the top and all of a sudden you need to go underneath you just push a button. Bought drip pans and a rolling jack.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...82c6c97555.jpg

The auto work I have done using my lift has paid for itself. Love it.

Adoggy Phizzle 03-27-2015 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Atlas 4 post, 6,000 pound capacity, also came with ramps casters drip trays and wheel chocks

StanFerguson 03-27-2015 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by FredC7 (Post 1589283158)
I bought an Eagle 4-post lift on Ebay back when they were selling them there. I has a 7,000 lb capacity and comes with aluminum ramps, caster wheels, drip trays and the jack bridge for only $1,699 delivered. If it was shipped to a commercial address the shipping was free otherwise it was $200 Shipping. I had it delivered to a friend's local tow company who pulled it off the truck on to their ramp truck. My friend helped me put it together and then bought two more for his own garage. I have never had a problem with this lift. A fellow club member bought one last year and they have made some improvements with the braking system on the legs.
I think that they currently sell for around $2,100 online at Eagle Lifts. The ones that you are looking at cost twice as much.

Check out the Eagle Lifts:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...453a32b019.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5907838bc7.jpg

I don't need anything fancy just putting a C4 on there.

HAD2HAV2 03-28-2015 12:06 AM

I have one suggestion that has not been mentioned. My lift only goes up to 68 inches, the measurement from the floor to the bottom of the lift rails. I am 72 inches high so there can be a problem. I had extra room to get the extended height lift, but the installer did not mention it so I have to duck a lot now. Get the higher lift range if you have room.

My12thVette 03-28-2015 01:12 AM

I am also thinking about one of these lifts. Can someone chime in with some additional info? Where are these made? China? I am a little concerned with their steel and welding. What mods are necessary for a "normal" home 2 car garage door? I have 9' 9" from slab to ceiling. I did see one at Mecum and it was made in China and about $3k with delivery.
Help is appreciated.

///ADMAN 03-28-2015 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by StanFerguson (Post 1589283005)
I looked it up and it has 81" of clearance I won't hit my head!!! The backyard buddy is 7000 lbs and only 68" under the runners. Another thing I can't find a price for the backyard buddy. Wtf you have to contact them. Seriously I don't want to talk to anybody.

$2175.00 was what I was quoted. Need to modify my existing garage
door to rolling boxed shutter first. Then, install BackyardBuddy 7K lift.

I'll be stacking 350Z SC Time Trial vehicle and C7 Corvette Z51
in only 9'6" ceiling. That leaves me 13" to play with. Thankfully.

Well, that's the reason I'm going the route I'm going. It's the only
lift that fits my 110"x168"x81" requirements. And, it's built in the USA. :salute:

StanFerguson 03-28-2015 03:45 AM

King lift will do financing 0% $120 a month.

magredrod 03-28-2015 08:39 AM

Happy 8 years later with Rotary Revolution 7K lb lift. Would buy again. Has nice wide runways, wife has no issues driving on/off the lift of under it with her sedan when lift is raised. Very solid American built lift.

Sorry I don't have any up close shots.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8447236b9d.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...493501d129.jpg

Here is a link for you.

http://www.revolutionlift.com/4-Post-Lifts-C4.aspx

StanFerguson 03-28-2015 12:20 PM

Do you always need a lift plugged in to the 220 outlet? I only have one 220 outlet so can I raise the car and lock it in the slots and then unplug it in case I want to weld a badass exhaust or fab up something while the car is up in the air on the lift?

StanFerguson 03-28-2015 12:39 PM

There are so many black lifts that look the same but have no name brand on them. Are most lifts from the same factory with the companies adding their decal on the post.

I see some are 4x4 and some are 4x6 posts. Which is stronger? Would the 4x6 bend easier with the 6 inch flat sides?

Cobraboy 03-28-2015 12:52 PM

I've got the old Pro Park 7 and have used it for so many years, so many different jobs, on so many different cars. Best garage investment you will ever make. A couple thoughts:

Mine runs on 120V. My friend has a 220V one. Only difference is that his is faster going up. No big deal for me.

As for "made in China", wouldn't worry about it. I've never read of an accident caused by faulty material or workmanship on any of them.

My friend also has the one that goes higher up. But the problem is that if you put it up high enough to not hit your head on it, it is too high up to work under the car. If you are just storing the car, that's fine.

And yes, you can unplug the power cord when the lift is up. I've actually got mine on a switched outlet and I kill the power when I leave the garage, just on the off-chance someone tries to fool with it.

StanFerguson 03-28-2015 02:25 PM

Okay here is another angle. Which lift is the easiest to put together? How much skill to install? I am cheap and will bolt it together myself?

dvandentop 03-28-2015 03:23 PM

wish my ceilings in garage were higher :(