CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Advice after seeing CarFax history (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3634552-advice-after-seeing-carfax-history.html)

Dbl_D718 04-09-2015 10:00 PM

Advice after seeing CarFax history

I'm looking at a 2004 z06 at a dealership, and they offered up the CarFax report for me. There are several maintenance records that stand out to me, and I just thought I'd ask for some input since I'm new to Corvettes.

The "body electrical system" was checked three times over the car's 63,000 mile life. The "instrument cluster" was checked twice as well, with "repaired wiring" included on the second check. Currently, the only issue with the car is that the HUD does not work. Is there a common problem with HUDs failing? I'm wondering if all of these checks have involved repeated HUD failure.

Just looking for input. All service records were at Chevy dealerships. Should I steer clear of this one? Everything else looks great as far as paint, interior, and mechanical condition.

73Corvette 04-09-2015 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1589384367)
I would move on past this one if the HUD is not currently working.

Just curious... why? Is it indicative of things to come?
What other issues are associated with the HUD going bad?

JR-01 04-10-2015 06:54 AM

The first thing I do when looking at a car to buy is make sure everything works like it's supposed to. Tells a lot about the previous owners.

Monkey D. Luffy 04-10-2015 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1589384865)
Why buy a car with a history of electrical problems and a currently non functional HUD???? If the car is at a give away price or the purchaser is very good with electrical issues related to the electronic dash's of many newer cars, then go for it. Don't depend upon the stealership to have clue 1 as to what is going on with electrical on a 10+ year old car.

Lots of C5's out there without this type of history. JMHO but I would move on.

I chased electrical issues in my C4 for MONTHS before I got the problem sorted out. Sold the car soon after before they could come back.

:iagree: why start out with problems?

Phanni 04-10-2015 07:46 AM

The HUD can have several problems. the mirror can fall down so that the display doesn't project onto the windshield. This is the most common problem. Also, the intensity can be turned way down so that it is too dim to see.

I'd see if they'll give you access to the previous owner and query him about the electrical problems.

With that said, I'd stay away, unless convinced otherwise by someone or something.

DevilDog II 04-10-2015 07:49 AM

I agree with everyone one else. I'd stay away from it. :cheers:

JR-01 04-10-2015 07:56 AM

I checked my Carfax and and service records and my car had some electrical issues but they all had been corrected under warranty and an extended service contract. As long as the dealer fixes everything I don't see a problem. Now if the car still has problems I would look for one without. After having this car for awhile now I believe a lot of electrical glitches were just caused by weak batteries from cars being idle for periods.

703 04-10-2015 08:16 AM

Unless they offering the car for a great price & they agree to fix the issue I would keep looking. Lots of C5s for sale and now that spring is upon us you will see more coming on the market.

73Corvette 04-10-2015 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by JR-01 (Post 1589385989)
I checked my Carfax and and service records and my car had some electrical issues but they all had been corrected under warranty and an extended service contract. As long as the dealer fixes everything I don't see a problem. Now if the car still has problems I would look for one without. After having this car for awhile now I believe a lot of electrical glitches were just caused by weak batteries from cars being idle for periods.

:iagree:

I don't think I'd just walk...but, I'd certainly walk carefully and with my eyes wide open. That being said you need to read the sticky at the top of the general forum about buying a C5 LOTS of great info for the novice C5 owner or prospective buyer. Pull the codes! Ask LOTS of questions and repost with more info...
I totally agree about NOT buying a car with problems unless you know exactly what they are and how to fix them... but, that doesn't mean with any used car, that after you buy it, your not going to have problems. Just sayin. Especially electrical problems on a C5
If the car your looking at falls in this batch of serial numbers you need to know if it's an issue it could be a $2500 repair, it has to do with the gas tank crossover

VIN 45110258 to 45125500

c4cruiser 04-10-2015 09:23 AM

I would suggest you keep looking at other cars. There are lots of excellent C5's available with no mechanical or electrical issues.

One other thing about repair history, if the car was taken to independent auto repair shops, there will be no history information posted on the GM Vehicle Service History database or on Carfax.

Even if a prior owner saved repair invoices, many dealers will simply toss them away when a car is traded in. They may not want a new buyer to know about repairs that could impact the selling price of a car or making a deal.

Macleod52 04-10-2015 09:40 AM

I agree with the majority. I would personally pass. If it's a great price then you may be more inclined to pursue it but I would be very cautious. Electrical gremlins aren't like any other issue. If a tie rod is bad it's pretty easy to check. If your smelling rotten eggs it's pretty safe to say your CAT is going bad. Electrical gremlins could be anything. It could be an easy fix or it could take lots of time and money trying to nail down the issue. Do you want to buy a car and never get to drive it because you're constantly trying to track down a bunch of issues?

c5vetteguy 04-10-2015 11:41 AM

I don't get the paranoia here. If you've pulled the codes and the only thing wrong with this car is the HUD, then it's no big deal. Tell the dealer to fix the HUD and you'll buy it. If they'd rather not fix it, then knock $1000 off the price. The HUD isn't necessary to operate the vehicle, and is not even used by many. If you can handle a screwdriver, you can fix the HUD yourself. It'll take you a couple of hours - there are plenty of write-ups here on how to remove the dash and fix the HUD. :flag:

envyz06 04-10-2015 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy (Post 1589387351)
I don't get the paranoia here. If you've pulled the codes and the only thing wrong with this car is the HUD, then it's no big deal. Tell the dealer to fix the HUD and you'll buy it. If they'd rather not fix it, then knock $1000 off the price. The HUD isn't necessary to operate the vehicle, and is not even used by many. If you can handle a screwdriver, you can fix the HUD yourself. It'll take you a couple of hours - there are plenty of write-ups here on how to remove the dash and fix the HUD. :flag:

This is what I would do

73Corvette 04-10-2015 12:08 PM

Just another point... I don't even use the HUD very often although, it is a cool feature and if I have one I want it working...but, if it was the ONLY thing on a killer deal, that might be a deal breaker... I wouldn't let it stop me.

dork 04-10-2015 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1589384865)
Why buy a car with a history of electrical problems and a currently non functional HUD???? If the car is at a give away price or the purchaser is very good with electrical issues related to the electronic dash's of many newer cars, then go for it. Don't depend upon the stealership to have clue 1 as to what is going on with electrical on a 10+ year old car.

Lots of C5's out there without this type of history. JMHO but I would move on.

I chased electrical issues in my C4 for MONTHS before I got the problem sorted out. Sold the car soon after before they could come back.

Never doubt 8Vette7.:) What he said!! "Why buy a car with a history of electrical problems and a currently non functional HUD????"

If you're an electrical whiz and can afford the time, AND can get this roach for a steal, the HUD isn't a big deal, but don't expect the problems to stop there. The HUD is just the last (known) un-repaired problem on this car.

There's some old advice I abide by when purchasing 'used': Never buy someone else's headache.

73Corvette 04-10-2015 12:53 PM

Have 8vette7 or dadaroo call the dealership for you and quiz them about the "electrical issues" they will know what questions to ask and can see if they are serious or not. You could use this as buyers leverage... for a car that doesn't have any serious issues or that haven't already been fixed properly... at least the dealership is being up front about it. You might buy another used C5 from someone that has had issues in it's past and just fail to mention it...

My last 2 cents... Make a quality, educated, purchase and have fun doing it... get the most bang you can for your dollars and then enjoy it. You have found the right place to be a C5 owner and you can get great info here! Good luck

JR-01 04-10-2015 01:02 PM

Why doesn't the dealership fix the HUD? The only way for them to get top dollar for a car like that is for everything to be working properly.

Borntorun04/17 04-10-2015 05:16 PM

If you are set on purchasing this car , I would think of amount that your willing to pay for car after considering your concerns with car and tell dealer you want a extended warranty with 0 deductible with a few years and decent amount of mileage included in price of car.. At least if there turns out to be further problems it won't cost you out of pocket, only your time and headaches.

AZLeMansC5 04-10-2015 05:22 PM

Move on...

Lots of Z06s out there WITHOUT these problems. IMHO it's better to buy a solid car and pay a little more than to buy INTO an EXISTING problem that you may NEVER be able to sort out!

AZLeMansC5 04-10-2015 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by dork (Post 1589387703)
Never doubt 8Vette7.:) What he said!! "Why buy a car with a history of electrical problems and a currently non functional HUD????"

:iagree: