CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   No Z51 Bad Idea? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3634782-no-z51-bad-idea.html)

Indiancent 04-10-2015 12:50 PM

No Z51 Bad Idea?

I found a car to buy, here is the......BUT:
It does not have the Z51 package and the mag ride option.
It however has the ZF1 appearance package, LT2 package and all the interior comforts including heads up display. It also has the performance exhaust and the black wheels that I wanted.
The price is discounted by approx. 3K to 64K.
If I just want to cruise and occasionally enjoy some spirited driving, why pay for the suspension upgrades and the mag ride. I don't want a suspension that is track firm for 95% of my driving.
Guess I am not sure if the lack of Z51 and mag ride will cause the car to depreciate even faster and shrink the group of potential buyers that may want the car when I am ready to sell?
What else may I be missing?
Since this is my first Corvette purchase and I am not very familiar with this market, I'd appreciate all your thoughts. Thanks so much.

dvilin 04-10-2015 12:58 PM

First thing a 3k discount is not a good deal. Lack of Z51 option will not have any impact on potential buyers in the future, as for depreciation who knows and why even give it a thought.

Corgidog1 04-10-2015 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1589387838)
First thing a 3k discount is not a good deal. Lack of Z51 option will not have any impact on potential buyers in the future, as for depreciation who knows and why even give it a thought.

:iagree: I would be looking for about 9% (approximate credit union/supplier %) off of the 67K list or or about 6000. The forum dealers should be able to get you that discount.

Rave 04-10-2015 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1589387838)
Lack of Z51 option will not have any impact on potential buyers in the future...,

I tend to disagree. Just speaking for myself, if I were in the market for a used C7 I wouldn't even consider buying a non-Z51.

Woodson 04-10-2015 01:31 PM

Drive both versions if you can. It's the only way you will really know.

Woodson 04-10-2015 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rave (Post 1589387995)
I tend to disagree. Just speaking for myself, if I were in the market for a used C7 I wouldn't even consider buying a non-Z51.

Any many others wouldn't even consider a Z51. :smash:

RedC7AZ 04-10-2015 01:57 PM

2014s - 37,288 cars. 55% built with Z51 option, 45% built without Z51 option. The demand should be no different in the resale market.

There may be slightly more demand for Z51 option (good for resale) , but accordingly there may be a slightly higher supply of Z51 optioned cars for sale (not good for resale)

Malco 04-10-2015 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ (Post 1589388163)
2014s - 37,288 cars. 55% built with Z51 option, 45% built without Z51 option. The demand should be no different in the resale market.

There may be slightly more demand for Z51 option (good for resale) , but accordingly there may be a slightly higher supply of Z51 optioned cars for sale (not good for resale)

I disagree you will have a larger base of buyers if you have the Z-51 option with the Mag ride. You will have buyers that only want the Z-51 and buyers that don't care. You will have very few buyers that will not buy a Z-51 on the used market.
Also the Mag ride is very noticeable, much more than my 2012 ZR1.
There is a big difference when I go from Tour to Sport and visa versa.

Fat Frenchie 04-10-2015 02:17 PM

If you just want one to drive around town and maybe do a burn out every now and then - non-Z51. If you want a sports car to challenge your self on twisty roads or go to the track Z51 is the only way to go. Its up to you and what you want out of the car. For me personally it was Z51 3LT.

pettvette 04-10-2015 02:34 PM

Throw the Z51 sway bars ($300) on the ZF1 and you would have a hard time telling the difference between the ZF1 & Z51 ride and handling on a non-Mag ride comparison....

golddog 04-10-2015 02:34 PM

Don't worry about potential buyers. In the end, when you go to sell it, you wont want people test driving your car, you'll decide to trade it in to the dealer, and they will screw you regardless of the options on your car.
Buy what YOU want and enjoy the heck out of it!!!

iclick 04-10-2015 03:15 PM

I think the potential resale premium for a Z51 would be a percentage of the premium you pay when new, much like any other option. When shopping I looked at ZF1 cars only, as I do like the Z51 spoiler and wheel/tire combo but find the other features inconsequential for my kind of driving. The Z51-yay-or-nay subject has been bantered about here before so I won't belabor it further.

I don't regret the decision, having saved a few $K going that route. If you don't plan on tracking the car I wouldn't hesitate to recommend going with the ZF1 package instead.

KevinSun 04-10-2015 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Indiancent (Post 1589387804)
I found a car to buy, here is the......BUT:
It does not have the Z51 package and the mag ride option.
It however has the ZF1 appearance package, LT2 package and all the interior comforts including heads up display. It also has the performance exhaust and the black wheels that I wanted.
The price is discounted by approx. 3K to 64K.
If I just want to cruise and occasionally enjoy some spirited driving, why pay for the suspension upgrades and the mag ride. I don't want a suspension that is track firm for 95% of my driving.
Guess I am not sure if the lack of Z51 and mag ride will cause the car to depreciate even faster and shrink the group of potential buyers that may want the car when I am ready to sell?
What else may I be missing?
Since this is my first Corvette purchase and I am not very familiar with this market, I'd appreciate all your thoughts. Thanks so much.

My understanding is that it is the Z51 package that also includes the eLSD (electronic Limited Slip Differential). This helps the traction control which will keep you out of trouble. Due to the power it is easy to have the rear end get away from you, even when you are already doing 70 MPH on the highway. (Some people refer to it as the "nanny" or "nannies").

And, hey, if you are looking for some fun or trying to do some drifting, you can always dial it off!

Here is a side by side comparison on the Chevrolet Configuration site. It shows the differences in more detail.

I don't have mine yet, but I ordered the Z51 2LT package with an A8.

Hopper12 04-10-2015 03:50 PM

I agree with the comments about $3k off not being a great deal. Forum dealers will do much better. I purchased from Kerbecks - they were great and the other forum dealers appear to have the same great reputation.

Concerning Z51 or not: My cousin has a non-Z51 and it's a GREAT car. I bought a Z51 because it's what I wanted. Both a super machines - drive them both and you decide, but either way you can't lose. :thumbs:

TennisFreak 04-10-2015 03:57 PM

Regardless of z51 or not that price sucks.

I started out with just a z51 appearance package and then changed over to a full z51.

By the time you add the appearance pack, paint the calipers, and put on a spoiler you are more than half way to getting the full thing so just not worth it to NOT get the z51 pack.

Sway bars and better brakes are worth it if nothing else.

FYI I'm getting a 1LT z51 with black wheels, carbon flash mirrors-spoiler-badges and its only $56k. For the car you are looking at I would not want to pay more than $60k.

rcooper 04-10-2015 04:06 PM

The 3k off sucks as far as good deals go. You should be able to get 6k off of near that. I have had several Corvette sith the Z51 package and some with the mag ride. I bought my C7 without the Z51 package as I intend to just enjoy drives in the country and take trips in it. After having it for a coupe of months and 1900 miles I really enjoy the ride. It handles brilliantly and is more car than I will ever use.
If you are not going to track the car you don't need the Z51, and I would guess for most drivers the "base" car will be enough for the track. I will more than likely get flamed for that statement but... :ack: Who cares.
My car listed for about 62k and I paid 56.5k for it, and I special ordered what I wanted on the car.
I would check with some of the forum sponsors like Kerbeck or Criswell. I am sure that Kerbeck will have ZF1 coupes with 6k+ discounts on them.
As for resale, if you are concerned about that then buy a Rolls and don't drive it a lot. I sold my '09 C6 with 79,500 miles on it for $24,500 and bought it new for 47k, not bad for a 6 year old daily driver.
Corvettes hold there value pretty well considering what they are.

ratman6161 04-10-2015 04:16 PM

Well, I buy what I want for me. But the discussion got me thinking so I checked blue book values on used 2014's (just bought one of those myself). Here is what I found:

Comparing a 1LT Vs a 1Lt Z51, they were about $3000 different on the original MSRP. But the blue book used retail is $5000 more for the Z51.

But option packages its a different story. Compare a 1LT Z51 with a 3LT Z51 and you find that the original MSRP's had the 3LT $13K higher. But at used retail, its only $3,000 higher. Of course I only have 2014 to go on, but I'm too lazy to go and do the same comparison on older cars.

So the performance options like Z51 seem to hold up where interior and electronics sort of things don't. Another thought on the electronics is that they change fast. In a couple years, my cool navigation system in my 3LT will start looking clunky compared to the latest and greatest smart phone that will be out by then. Electronics never hold value in any other area so why would they in a car?

All of the above of course is non-scientific speculation.

ratman6161 04-10-2015 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by rcooper (Post 1589389004)
... I would guess for most drivers the "base" car will be enough for the track. I will more than likely get flamed for that statement but...

I wouldn't flame you! I've only had my Z51 a few days and I've already realized that the potential of the car is far greater than the potential of its driver. I will take it to the track eventually but at the moment the idea is a little intimidating. I need to grow into it:)

John Ulrich 04-10-2015 04:19 PM

Indiancent,
You mention good ride, No race. Base is all you need. I love my ride and if you're worried about resale why are you buying a new car to begin with? I've owned my other Vette for 24 yrs.....It's next owner will probably be a family member after my funeral!

crawfish333 04-10-2015 05:26 PM

I disagree. Many in the market for a used Vette may not even know or care about the difference, especially first time owners.