CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   manual to power steering (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3642807-manual-to-power-steering.html)

VinceP 04-26-2015 08:01 AM

manual to power steering

I am thinking that want to upgrade to power steering I notice that it seem to be different ways.I am thinking of going the way of a stock replacement Any advice thanks Vince

skids 04-26-2015 08:42 AM

Just my opinion, but I thing overall the Borgenson box is a no brainer. Others I assume will tend to agree. :cheers:

Nowhere Man 04-26-2015 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by skids (Post 1589499577)
Just my opinion, but I thing overall the Borgenson box is a no brainer. Others I assume will tend to agree. :cheers:

Why?? Stock PS works just as well

Crunch527 04-26-2015 09:05 AM

I added stock PS to my 67 SB and it just didn't feel right.

I then spent more money and got the Borgeson system...much better. Very responsive and positive.

BTW: On a 73 vette I used to own, I did the steroids conversion...definitely not worth the extra coin...it felt the same as the Borgeson.

Frank

Avispa 04-26-2015 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1589499631)

An answer to the question "why" is the Borgeson kit uses a 12:1 ratio gearbox. The factory gear box is 16:1. The Borgeson kit takes 1/4 fewer turns lock to lock. There doesn't seem to be any other replacement box other than the stock 16:1 ratio. Another answer is that there are no pressurized seals on exposed moving parts on the Borgeson box, while the stock power cylinder has to seal against pressure on a moving ram on right turns. They do fail every so often.

tbarb 04-26-2015 11:15 AM

I converted my 67 300hp car to power steering and used the factory set up. Works great and it's one of the nicest things I ever did, use the factory set up and remember it's power assist so the steering feel will not be like a modern car, that's the way it was designed by GM.

Bluestripe67 04-26-2015 11:42 AM

I did the Borgeson install two years ago and would recommend it over the antiquated GM system. I'm about to do the conversion for a friend with a '65. :thumbs: Dennis

5thvet 04-26-2015 11:45 AM

I also did the Borgeson conversion a couple years ago and must say it's the best modification I've made to my 65:thumbs:

Don

Pilot Dan 04-26-2015 11:56 AM

I just spent a bunch of time working on my stock P/S system trying to address small leaks (rebuild pump, replace hoses, ect....) and don't much care for the way GM designed this system. For starters the pressure and supply hoses are in constant motion when you steer. It's like a design that is trying to break itself. As mentioned it is a power assist, and not a true power steering setup as it still utilizes a manual steering box. With all that said, it does work fine, but is prone to leaks and chafing of the hoses.

I have no hands on experience with the Borgeson type conversion kit, but I looked at the design and wish the original system was set up that way with just 2 hoses that are stationary once installed and a true power gear box. Also, without the ram, I am thinking you would have more oil pan choices. It is pricey though. :smash: Pilot Dan

SS409 04-26-2015 11:59 AM

I got tired of the chasing leaks from the power ram, control valve and the extra set of hoses. IMHO, you'll be happy with the Borgeson upgrade. Keep all the old parts and if desired, the next owner can return it back to stock.

toddalin 04-26-2015 02:14 PM

IIRC, there is a Jeep steering box conversion that updates the old box. Jeep parts are cheap and plentiful in junk jards. You may want to look into that.

VinceP 04-27-2015 08:19 PM

looking at the Borgenson box It looks like you have to cut 1" to 2" off the column to make it fit I am sure someone has done this upgrade is this true thanks Vince

Bluestripe67 04-27-2015 08:26 PM

It is true the steering shaft will need to be shortened. :cheers: Dennis

67vetteal 04-27-2015 08:37 PM

I installed the OEM P/S in my 67 in the mid Seventies. I've had Zero problems and no leaks or broken hoses. Several questions need to be addressed. Do you want car to stay stock? Daily Driver or Garage Queen?
Are Dollars an issue? My opinion is OEM is fine. Good Luck. Al W.:flag:

65GGvert 04-27-2015 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by VinceP (Post 1589512163)
looking at the Borgenson box It looks like you have to cut 1" to 2" off the column to make it fit I am sure someone has done this upgrade is this true thanks Vince

66 and older have to be cut, 67 and up can be adjusted without cutting with the collapsible column. Mine was very easily done. What I like is only two hoses, only one is pressurized, and they don't move with the steering. Everything under the car remains stock and can be put back very easily.

donbayers 04-27-2015 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by VinceP (Post 1589512163)

Borgenson worth every cent. Yes, shorten column is only mod. :thumbs:

VinceP 04-28-2015 07:32 AM

I like the borgenson box ,but cutting the steering column is a deal breaker at this point I will have to rethink the whole project thanks for all the infor Vince

Craftsman51 04-28-2015 07:40 AM

I did a conversion with the factory setup almost 20 years ago to my 67 SB Coupe. I have been very happy with the conversion, zero problems with the factory setup.

BADBIRDCAGE 04-28-2015 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1589499631)

No, it doesn't.

BADBIRDCAGE 04-28-2015 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by VinceP (Post 1589514858)
I like the borgenson box ,but cutting the steering column is a deal breaker at this point I will have to rethink the whole project thanks for all the infor Vince

Shortening the steering shaft is no big deal. If you don't want to cut your
original shaft you can buy a replacement shaft and shorten it. That way you don't modify your "original" shaft, which may be very worn at the lower bearing. Or it may not. Mine sure was. Almost a third of the way through the shaft.