CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] Noob needs info about wheel sizes, tire sizes, and brake caliper sizes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3653770-noob-needs-info-about-wheel-sizes-tire-sizes-and-brake-caliper-sizes.html)

conradb 05-18-2015 09:18 AM

Noob needs info about wheel sizes, tire sizes, and brake caliper sizes

I recently picked up a 2002 C5 Z06. I'm looking to do some upgrades in the near future. Firstly, I will need new tires soon, and I'm running the stock 17/18 C5 Z06 wheel setup on my car. Tire Rack doesn't show there are Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in the 17" size. I really, really want those tires for my street and track setup. What to do? Just get bigger wheels? The C6 Z06 wheels looks great. Do I need spacers on the rear for them not to rub?

That brings me to my next point... I will be looking to upgrade to a BBK in the near future. I'm a bit confused as to the warning about the calipers not fitting. Is this a problem with the wheel offset, or the actual wheel diameter? Do people need wheel spacers? Are people running BBK's, like Brembos and StopTechs, on the stock 17/18 Z06 setup just fine? Does anyone have a link to where I can see what wheel setups they're running for this?

Finally, how can I know what tire widths I can put on a wheel? For example, the stock rear C5 Z06 wheels are 10.5" across, which is ~267mm, but the tire width is 295mm. How do you know what's too wide? Is there a danger in pushing the size too far when you plan to track the car?

Thanks for the info, guys! :thumbs:

Verrückt ZR1 05-21-2015 02:28 PM

Hey there. First of all, congratulations on your new Z. Great car, you'll love it. :thumbs: As far as tires go, I'm in the same predicament. Options for stock sized wheels are few and far between. I'll personally be buying a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW's for my '04. Will be running a 255 R40-17 setup on the fronts, 295 R35-18 rears. If you truly have your heart set on the Michelin's, I believe you'll have to upgrade wheels- two at least. If you love the factory Z wheels, run four rears on every corner. The widest tire the stock rear wheel will accept are 315's I believe. So you could run 285-295 on the fronts, and 315's out back, if you so choose. Keep in mind that the big tires WILL stick out a touch in the back. Good luck with your decision, and enjoy your Z! :rock:

Socko 05-21-2015 11:38 PM

on the cheap buy 2 new 18" c5z wheels from houseofwheels on the forums here, or used if you can find them. run 275/295 18" mpss setup. Big brakes will require some research. Most need spacers on our wheels or fancy hatted rotors that have more offset, but a few decent setups do fit with a 12.8-14" stock c5z or c6z rotor.

If you got more money, but not tons, get tsw rims they have clearance for a bunch of brake. My buddy has 14.25" rotor wilwood w6a kit on 18" tsw nurburgrings and it fits without a spacer.

look up the tire size info on the manufacturer page or on tirerack.

rjwz28 05-23-2015 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by conradb (Post 1589652504)
I recently picked up a 2002 C5 Z06. I'm looking to do some upgrades in the near future. Firstly, I will need new tires soon, and I'm running the stock 17/18 C5 Z06 wheel setup on my car. Tire Rack doesn't show there are Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in the 17" size. I really, really want those tires for my street and track setup. What to do? Just get bigger wheels? The C6 Z06 wheels looks great. Do I need spacers on the rear for them not to rub?

That brings me to my next point... I will be looking to upgrade to a BBK in the near future. I'm a bit confused as to the warning about the calipers not fitting. Is this a problem with the wheel offset, or the actual wheel diameter? Do people need wheel spacers? Are people running BBK's, like Brembos and StopTechs, on the stock 17/18 Z06 setup just fine? Does anyone have a link to where I can see what wheel setups they're running for this?

Finally, how can I know what tire widths I can put on a wheel? For example, the stock rear C5 Z06 wheels are 10.5" across, which is ~267mm, but the tire width is 295mm. How do you know what's too wide? Is there a danger in pushing the size too far when you plan to track the car?

Thanks for the info, guys! :thumbs:

Originally Posted by Socko (Post 1589679835)
on the cheap buy 2 new 18" c5z wheels from houseofwheels on the forums here, or used if you can find them. run 275/295 18" mpss setup. Big brakes will require some research. Most need spacers on our wheels or fancy hatted rotors that have more offset, but a few decent setups do fit with a 12.8-14" stock c5z or c6z rotor.

If you got more money, but not tons, get tsw rims they have clearance for a bunch of brake. My buddy has 14.25" rotor wilwood w6a kit on 18" tsw nurburgrings and it fits without a spacer.

look up the tire size info on the manufacturer page or on tirerack.

Do what this guy suggests and it will allow you to run a good BBK as well as 265 or 275/35-18F|295/35-18R Pilot Super Sports

One of the vendors on here has a kit that uses a Wilwood Aero6 caliper and a 13.4" C6 Z51 rotor that should fit up front under C5Z rears just fine, as well as a kit that adds FNSL4 calipers and C6 Z51 rotors for the rear:

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...te-c5/kits-35/

Search him out on here and PM him, the guy is legit

:thumbs: