CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   59 Overheating & fuel problem (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3654342-59-overheating-and-fuel-problem.html)

Michael 59' corvette 05-19-2015 11:58 AM

59 Overheating & fuel problem

Hi C1's
I have two problems with My 59 282 single quad First it gets very hot when in traffic but as soon as I drive it cool down. I changed the thermostat same problem. New aluminum radiator same problem. I have a original 4 fan blade. Should I put a auxiliary fan assembly?

Second problem; I could drive my car all day at a normal rate of speed but if I put the petal to the metal it pops , bogs down & wants to stall, when that happens I have to go in the slow lane, slow down for a minute or two than I can continue. Fuel pump, Vapor lock ?

History of motor; Complete rebuilt 2013

Thank you
Michael

Frankie the Fink 05-19-2015 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Michael 59' corvette (Post 1589660879)
Hi C1's
I have two problems with My 59 282 single quad First it gets very hot when in traffic but as soon as I drive it cool down. I changed the thermostat same problem. New aluminum radiator same problem. I have a original 4 fan blade. Should I put a auxiliary fan assembly?

Second problem; I could drive my car all day at a normal rate of speed but if I put the petal to the metal it pops , bogs down & wants to stall, when that happens I have to go in the slow lane, slow down for a minute or two than I can continue. Fuel pump, Vapor lock ?

History of motor; Complete rebuilt 2013

Thank you
Michael

First problem could be an inaccurate temp sending unit; verify temps you are seeing with a cheap I/R temp gun (Harbor Freight) has them...shoot the thermostat housing...you might not have an overheating problem at all. If that verifies your problem - might be time to look at your fan clutch and a few other things...

Second problem could be spark plugs, plug wires misfiring under load, ignition coil, sticky advance weights, fuel delivery/fuel filter and a few other things.

:thumbs:

esema 05-19-2015 12:12 PM

Overheating at low speeds or idle could be a timing issue. Start at 10* to 12* advance. If you have a vacuum advance distributor you should be at 20* to 25* at idle with the vacuum can connected. Make sure your advance can is connected to a non-ported source at the carb. You should be "all in" at 36 to 38 degrees at 2500 to 2800 rpm.

INMYBLOOD 05-19-2015 12:13 PM

Do you have a fan shroud? Can you feel air moving into the grill?

Michael 59' corvette 05-19-2015 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by INMYBLOOD (Post 1589661015)
Do you have a fan shroud? Can you feel air moving into the grill?

Yes I do have a shroud but a 1959 has no clutch.

thank you
Michael

Michael 59' corvette 05-19-2015 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1589660919)
First problem could be an inaccurate temp sending unit; verify temps you are seeing with a cheap I/R temp gun (Harbor Freight) has them...shoot the thermostat housing...you might not have an overheating problem at all. If that verifies your problem - might be time to look at your fan clutch and a few other things...

Second problem could be spark plugs, plug wires misfiring under load, ignition coil, sticky advance weights, fuel delivery/fuel filter and a few other things.

:thumbs:

Yes I do have a shroud but a 1959 has no clutch.

Pilot Dan 05-19-2015 03:08 PM

Regardless of any other problems, you would be a lot better off running a 60 style 5 blade fan and fan clutch assembly instead of the original 4 blade fan. I do that in my 59 and it really helps. Zero issues cooling even on a hot day idling in traffic. :thumbs::smash: