CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Painted side markers (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3654594-painted-side-markers.html)

vtach 05-19-2015 09:17 PM

Painted side markers

Hi All,

I'm looking to do some basic exterior mods on my AW Z51 Coupe. I really dislike the orange front side markers as they really don't match the rest of the car. Has anybody painted them body color to match their exterior? I did this on an E46 M3 and really liked the result.

I am aware of a clear version of the front side markers from an online vendor, however, at $160 they seem unreasonably expensive.

If anyone has pictures of their car with painted side markers, I would love to see them!

Thanks!

Larry/car 05-19-2015 09:20 PM

Illegal to paint over marker lights in Pennsylvania. Even a tinted lense will get you in trouble.

RowboatLS3 05-19-2015 09:47 PM

I've been wanting to do the same thing so if you come up with something please let me know. Thanks

mksz51 05-19-2015 09:50 PM

Painting over a "safety feature"? :crazy2:

SharkGrayStingray 05-19-2015 09:55 PM

I haven't painted the side markers yet because because i bought the tint to go over them and they haven't peeled off yet, but when they do i will paint them with the rustoleum lens tint.

I have painted the rear reflectors on the bumper with the lens tint. I used 2 (or 3, i can't recall) coats lens tint and 3 coats clear. They came out great!!!

rothchilds 05-19-2015 09:56 PM

I put a vinyl overlay on mine. Still reflects, still allows light to pass thru. Cheap and easy

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4bc7200733.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ed1d25f5c0.jpg

jrainlay 05-19-2015 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rothchilds (Post 1589664841)
I put a vinyl overlay on mine. Still reflects, still allows light to pass thru. Cheap and easy

:iagree:
I agree! VetteFX side and rear marker tint kits are the best bang for the buck mods you can make! :thumbs:

TNSQUIRE 05-19-2015 10:54 PM

Painted Side Markers

2 Attachment(s)
I also used the tinted stick ons.

jversluis 05-20-2015 09:00 AM

What are quality of VetteFX and material? Ive gotten cheap ones from RPI that didnt last and Corvette Mods were short and didnt cover complete lens.

TNSQUIRE 05-20-2015 09:44 AM

Painted Side Markers

Originally Posted by jversluis (Post 1589666661)
What are quality of VetteFX and material? Ive gotten cheap ones from RPI that didnt last and Corvette Mods were short and didnt cover complete lens.

Uh oh...I just bought the ones from RPI. They look nice. I hope they hold up.

jrainlay 05-20-2015 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by jversluis (Post 1589666661)

It's just a thin vinyl adhesive film... you peel off the backing and stick it on the OEM plastic lens. You have to be careful doing this, but the material is somewhat forgiving. At first I was concerned about the quality and especially the durability, but so far I've had no problems with the product. Some people claim they've had no problems in over a year. I originally bought these thinking they would provide a temporary fix until someone came out with a good quality tinted plastic replacement lens, but now I'm thinking this may be a permanent fix. In any case, the decals are very inexpensive, so if I have to replace them in the future, no big deal. And if I ever want to return to stock, the tint film easily peels off.

Horsefly 05-20-2015 10:04 AM

How about clear lenses..........

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e79968a69c.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fdf0124471.jpg

I replaced the amber lenses w/ clear lenses and they really become unnoticeable. The reds in the back go with the red calipers so I felt them as is.

Glen e 05-20-2015 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE (Post 1589666903)
Uh oh...I just bought the ones from RPI. They look nice. I hope they hold up.

My RPI Vinyl pieces are 18 months old and still look fine.....

william43 05-20-2015 12:08 PM

I just sprayed mine with VHT NITE SHADES, looks great. i think i put about four coats on.

jversluis 05-20-2015 03:19 PM

The RPI vinyl ones started to peel and It was a bitch to get them off. Came off in tiny pieces. Ill try the VetteFx and see how they goe.

OldJedi 05-20-2015 03:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I went with the more expensive tinted lenses, but I wanted the full length leds to the replace the OEM units with just two lights.

grandpawmoses 05-20-2015 06:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
$1 worth of 3M vinyl tint & 30 minutes to do both sides of the front. Yeah it's probably illegal but 5 months & no one's complained. Luckily the Crystal Red matches the rear markers pretty close. Excuse the dirty car, just returned from a trip & it's so nasty the wheels don't look chrome.

ERM 05-20-2015 06:34 PM

Side Markers

1 Attachment(s)
I did mine with plati dip and after a year still like new

Toddiesel 01-09-2019 07:32 AM

Hate to dig up an old thread, but my Z06 is in the shop to get painted now and I'm about to have them pull the bulbs and paint mine. Apparently it's too costly to just shave them. Doesn't look like anyone posted any pics of body color ones. There is a "ghost" version you can buy that are body color from Oracle, but they're $500, are still lights (which I don't want, I think they're ugly) and since I'm getting a custom color, it wouldn't work anyway. Has anyone done this and can show pics?

Originally Posted by Larry/car (Post 1589664569)
Illegal to paint over marker lights in Pennsylvania. Even a tinted lense will get you in trouble.

Had to comment on this. First, the OP is in NY, so PA law isn't really applicable. Second, marker lights have only been a thing on cars for like 10 years. Cars didn't even used to HAVE marker lights in the US (just take a look at the C5). As long as your regular turn signal works, no cop is going to give 2 shits if your marker light is painted over. That would be like saying you could get in trouble if you have a car with a turn signal in the mirror and you disabled it. Marker lights are just extra (and ricer/euro, imo)

GSDUBBZo6 01-09-2019 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by vtach (Post 1589664550)
Hi All,

I'm looking to do some basic exterior mods on my AW Z51 Coupe. I really dislike the orange front side markers as they really don't match the rest of the car. Has anybody painted them body color to match their exterior? I did this on an E46 M3 and really liked the result.

I am aware of a clear version of the front side markers from an online vendor, however, at $160 they seem unreasonably expensive.

If anyone has pictures of their car with painted side markers, I would love to see them!

Thanks!

I know that they are expensive but Oracle makes nice tinted or ghosted options. I just put mine on and they look great.