CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Best C5Z radiator (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3659656-best-c5z-radiator.html)

kdm123 05-30-2015 10:27 AM

Best C5Z radiator

Hi, sorry if this is already mentioned somewhere else, but is there a consensus on what is the best aftermarket radiator for a C5Z?

I was at Willow yesterday on a 93 degree day and saw a max coolant temp of 248.

I already have an oil cooler and trans and diff coolers.

charger21 05-30-2015 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by kdm123 (Post 1589734897)
Hi, sorry if this is already mentioned somewhere else, but is there a consensus on what is the best aftermarket radiator for a C5Z?

Ron Davis is what I prefer.

kdm123 05-30-2015 10:49 AM

Thanks for your reply. Do you know how much they go for? I don't see prices listed on their site.

crimlwC6 05-30-2015 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by kdm123 (Post 1589735015)
Thanks for your reply. Do you know how much they go for? I don't see prices listed on their site.

Iirc 600 to $800. If you want maximum cooling, lay the radiator forward and convert from a bottom feeder to a front breather.

ZedO6 05-30-2015 11:31 AM

I run Willow in my C5Z and don't have coolant temp issues with the DeWitt's radiator. I also run water, which is advisable on the track for a multitude of reasons. You might as well step up to the internal EOC or consider an external oil cooler as well.

Willow is relatively easy on oil temps due to the limited shifting, but Fontana or Buttonwillow will have you more worried about oil temps than coolant.

Dan H. 05-30-2015 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ZedO6 (Post 1589735269)
I run Willow in my C5Z and don't have coolant temp issues with the DeWitt's radiator. I also run water, which is advisable on the track for a multitude of reasons. You might as well step up to the internal EOC or consider an external oil cooler as well. Willow is relatively easy on oil temps due to the limited shifting, but Fontana or Buttonwillow will have you more worried about oil temps than coolant.

I've read that the rad with eoc' are very difficult to install. Is one easier than another? RD or Dewitt's?

ZedO6 05-30-2015 02:52 PM

I've only installed the DeWitts and the part that is difficult is installing the OE GM oil line, which is strictly due to the factory style install that goes along the frame. The post you are probably referring to concerned a C5 with long tube headers. I run stock manifolds which makes it an easier install.

The DeWitts uses the bypass built into the factory GM hardline, that limits the amount of inline restriction from the oil cooler. I think anything over 6 psi bypasses the cooler. Of note, EVERY oil cooler adds restriction, just how much and does it impact engine longevity.

froggy47 05-30-2015 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by kdm123 (Post 1589734897)

If you want it to "drop in" you'll pay $600-$1200 for the various "Corvette " radiators. If you can fabricate a bit there are many racing radiators that you buy by "size" that are 1/4 that price. Probably Jegs, Summit etc. have them.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...oview=SKU&ar=1

BTW did you clean all the crap out?

SunnydayDILYSI 05-30-2015 03:35 PM

I went with the Ron Davis. Here in Dallas I was running 290 oil temps with stock equipment. The RD with integrated oil cooler lowered the oil temps to a consistent ~255, even on warm days. I don't watch the water temp as close, but never see the gauge get into the red. It does take a lot longer for the car to warm up in the winter.

Socko 05-30-2015 10:01 PM

If you have a stand alone, it is likely just blocking too much of the stock radiator to let it work well. Dewitts fits and works well, and if you don't need to run the hardlines for the eoc its easy to install as well.

Even with the hardline install, which is terrible, it isn't really all that bad just expect the line install alone to take 4-6 hours. Install them before you fill the radiator so when you have to pull it again to get the shroud out to cut it again for the lines its not too big of a deal. That or search for where they need to be cut i drew some pics of it on a post in the road racing forums.

Hi Volts Z06 05-31-2015 10:29 AM

Dewitt's and Ron Davis both will work provided the ret of your cooling system is in good condition. I would highly advise upgrading to a Evans Racing Water pump. I've run both the Ron Davis and the Dewitt's AND a separate oil cooler but it wasn't until I put in the Evans water pump did my cooling issues disappear.

froggy47 05-31-2015 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06 (Post 1589740687)
Dewitt's and Ron Davis both will work provided the ret of your cooling system is in good condition. I would highly advise upgrading to a Evans Racing Water pump. I've run both the Ron Davis and the Dewitt's AND a separate oil cooler but it wasn't until I put in the Evans water pump did my cooling issues disappear.

What is that much better with the Evans? Gallons per minute? Uses less power? Curious.

:)

LG Motorsports 06-01-2015 09:25 AM

LG Motorsports Super Cool radiators that we used on our World Challenge race cars and developed them for the street.

there are plenty of radiators out there. Find a good one to meet your track needs.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti
LGM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...18f8da3893.jpg

LG Radiator with integrated oil cooler

Bill Dearborn 06-01-2015 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by kdm123 (Post 1589735015)

Here is a link to the DRM web page with RD prices:

http://dougrippie.com/category/produ...-2004/cooling/

Bill

heavyzee 06-01-2015 11:00 PM

In my c5 track car I just put in a dewitts radiator. summit had em 10% off last month $490...

also did a earls 42500 oil cooler($190), DRM block adapter($60 used +$7 gasket) and -10AN lines ($180).

Whole system installed was right around $900 ish (got some new tools that i'll use again on the diff and tranny coolers)

i decided on the stand alone cooler after spending some time talking with C5ZEE while buying some parts(its hot in Houston)

crimlwC6 06-01-2015 11:33 PM

LG and drm are both great companies. I also went with an aftermarket one that a raceshop welded the necessary necks after my ron davis got taken out. If you want maximum cooling, I again stress laying the radiator forward and boxing it in with sheet metal and venting the hood. I rarely get water temps over 200 and oil temps over 230 with a stock ls6. I have a smallish oil cooler. Pure race car with no a/c. When I ran an ls3 with 410 rwhp and a 6900 rev limiter the temps were and 20 degrees hotter.

crease-guard 06-04-2015 10:47 AM

Being in Texas as well, I turned my C5Z into a front breather and put a DeWitts radiator on. Even in 100 degree weather the water temps stayed around 210-212, oil temps around 260 with a 25 fin Setrab cooler.

I just had to tear apart my race car as it suffered a clutch failure that blew apart, cut the fuel lines and the car burnt. The radiator is in perfectly good condition. Also, if you are interested in putting aero on the car, I have a custom nose, splitter-undertray and wing that will turn the car into a true front breather.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

Jay