CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   81 barn find no keys (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3662401-81-barn-find-no-keys.html)

octaneforce 06-04-2015 07:42 PM

81 barn find no keys

ok so I was given an 81 for free by an old lady whos had it in her backyard for the last 20 years. its pretty rough but its FREE. problem is there are no keys. so..
1. is it possible to get a key from chevy?
2. if not can I hot wire it? I atleast need to unlock the steering so I can move it.
3. does anyone wanna buy a 1 owner 81 vette? :rofl: whats this mess even worth?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s.../photo%201.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s.../photo%202.jpg

ts_vette_st 06-04-2015 07:50 PM

Locksmith? for the key issue.

Part it out here?

octaneforce 06-04-2015 07:51 PM

a locksmith could make me a key? and I would rather sell it whole. I don't have time to start taking it apart

ctuinstra 06-04-2015 08:09 PM

Where are you located?

mikem350 06-04-2015 08:11 PM

Be nice if she could find the title...or even apply for a new one

Got any engine pics?

octaneforce 06-04-2015 08:34 PM

I am in bellmore ny (long island). The lady said she is going to acquire the title for me. This is a long time family friend. Heres an engine pic.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ds/image_1.jpg

gjohnson 06-04-2015 09:36 PM

That's painful to see a Vette rotting away.Theres one by where I live that hasn't moved in at least 15 yrs

GaToy 06-04-2015 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by gjohnson (Post 1589773543)
That's painful to see a Vette rotting away.Theres one by where I live that hasn't moved in at least 15 yrs

I know of a red one that hasn't moved in over twenty. I have been meaning to take a pic of it and post it. It is sitting in an open field behind a house. After what I have learned about c3's the bird cage is probably non existent.

Also this isn't a barn find. There's no barn. This would be a back yard discovery. Lol.

octaneforce 06-04-2015 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by GaToy (Post 1589774101)
I know of a red one that hasn't moved in over twenty. I have been meaning to take a pic of it and post it. It is sitting in an open field behind a house. After what I have learned about c3's the bird cage is probably non existent.

Also this isn't a barn find. There's no barn. This would be a back yard discovery. Lol.

Hahah any barn on long island would be a leaking rotting mess anyway

LS4 PILOT 06-04-2015 11:10 PM

Looks like a parts car now , glass tops ?

Sitting outside exposed over dirt on the east coast is recipe for having a dead car.

It would have been a lot better in a enclosed barn .

Shame people would rather let a car go to waste ...basically tossing away money , than save it by selling to a new owner who will appreciate it.

octaneforce 06-04-2015 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT (Post 1589774209)
Looks like a parts car now , glass tops ?

Sitting outside exposed over dirt on the east coast is recipe for having a dead car.

It would have been a lot better in a enclosed barn .

Shame people would rather let a car go to waste ...basically tossing away money , than save it by selling to a new owner who will appreciate it.

Yeah glass tops but the passenger side has cracks. Doesnt appear to have leaked though. Its definitely depressing. If i could have prevented it from sitting 20 years ago i would have!

Red 69 06-05-2015 06:21 PM

This is an unfortunate reality with many nice cars across the country falling to a similar fate. As stated, a good locksmith can make you a key and keep from damaging the tilt steering column.

If it were me, on the way out of the yard it resides, I'd stop at a coin car wash and spend about an hour there pressure washing under the hood and everywhere there is dirt and debris. A trailer will have it up off the ground and make cleaning the frame much easier. After it has dried, you can better make a thorough inspection. If the frame and birdcage are solid, you have a project car. If not, there are many useable parts other builders can recycle into their projects.
Good luck with it!

octaneforce 06-05-2015 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Red 69 (Post 1589779383)
This is an unfortunate reality with many nice cars across the country falling to a similar fate. As stated, a good locksmith can make you a key and keep from damaging the tilt steering column.

If it were me, on the way out of the yard it resides, I'd stop at a coin car wash and spend about an hour there pressure washing under the hood and everywhere there is dirt and debris. A trailer will have it up off the ground and make cleaning the frame much easier. After it has dried, you can better make a thorough inspection. If the frame and birdcage are solid, you have a project car. If not, there are many useable parts other builders can recycle into their projects.
Good luck with it!

Thanks i was thinking along those lines! The top half of the bird cage around the windshield looks decent. I couldnt get underneath it though. Time will tell and I'll keep you guys posted. I'll have to start calling around for lock smiths

Sacred Steel 06-05-2015 07:25 PM

If you do decide to part it out I'll take those wheels.

silvvette 06-05-2015 10:56 PM

Better to build the buy.... restore it and share your story

qwank 06-06-2015 01:33 AM

That thing is toast. BUT it is free, and the scrap yard may give you a few hundred for it :thumbs:

Scottd 06-06-2015 01:54 PM

Unless she produces that title in a hurry, you should sell it off as a parts car. (Obtaining a lost title in NY is a pain in the arse)

As many have said, its surely rotted from the underneath. Sell it and take the proceeds as a down payment on another C3!

cv67 06-06-2015 03:19 PM

x2 on pressure washing, a good cleaning/get keys made (maybe)and sell it off as a project with 4 tires with air in them; let someone else learn their lesson on buying something cheap and "fixing it up". That ones just too far gone to fool with

toobroketoretire 06-07-2015 01:11 PM

The bird cage is certainly destroyed by now..................

7t9l82 06-07-2015 01:52 PM

Miracles have been known to happen, I agree the coin-op car wash or a pressure washer are your best bet. Why would someone do that to a Corvette?