CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   84 leaky brake booster (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3672371-84-leaky-brake-booster.html)

ToniJ1960 06-24-2015 09:06 PM

84 leaky brake booster

My brake booster is leaky I hear it hiss when I push in the pedal, and the pedal is hard to push. A couple times the engine seemed to speed up when I pushed the brake pedal down and the car didn't want to stop at all.

Im not sure if that's from the booster or my foot maybe hitting the accelerator when it happens I cant take time to look at the pedal. The reason I think it could be my foot hitting the gas when its on the brakes is the PO put a large metal foot plate over the brake pedal.

Anyway I have two questions. Is it likely that the booster can do this itself?

If I pull the hose off the booster and block it will I be able to drive to go get a brake booster.

Cliff Harris 06-24-2015 11:39 PM

You can drive the car the way it is now. Taking the hose off won't change anything except make the engine run better. It would be best to remove the hose from the booster and plug the vacuum hose because it is a vacuum leak.

It will just take more muscle than usual to make the car stop. You need to remember that there will be more pedal pressure required than normal to be ready to start braking early.

ToniJ1960 06-25-2015 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris (Post 1589912213)
You can drive the car the way it is now. Taking the hose off won't change anything except make the engine run better. It would be best to remove the hose from the booster and plug the vacuum hose because it is a vacuum leak.

It will just take more muscle than usual to make the car stop. You need to remember that there will be more pedal pressure required than normal to be ready to start braking early.

Is it possible it could damage the mc this way or cause any invasion of air into the system something to bend etc from pushing so hard on the brake pedal?

Do you think that's whats causing the rpm runaway on the rare occasion? Im trying to make a better habit of getting my foot wayyyyyy over since that pedal bracket is so big and so close to the gas pedal.

jv9999 06-25-2015 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960 (Post 1589915317)
Is it possible it could damage the mc this way or cause any invasion of air into the system something to bend etc from pushing so hard on the brake pedal?

Do you think that's whats causing the rpm runaway on the rare occasion? Im trying to make a better habit of getting my foot wayyyyyy over since that pedal bracket is so big and so close to the gas pedal.

Why not remove the non-factory pedal piece? It sounds dangerous. You won't hurt the M/C without boost. Hopefully you have the metal booster as the plastic ones are fairly fragile.

Pres712 06-26-2015 07:25 AM

I just replaced mine that had the same problem. It's a fairly simple job. I bought a booster from Auto Zone and followed a video on You Tube. Three hours and $120 later, it's fixed.

GQ-ROD 06-28-2015 12:04 PM

Just replace it, i've had to replace 2 rebuilt ones in 3 years, not hard to do just patience.

Not expensive, all you have to do is carefully move the mc aside with lines intact to remove the booster.