CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Factory Correct Resto (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/factory-correct-resto-77/)
-   -   '64 Coupe Question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/factory-correct-resto/367312-64-coupe-question.html)

Falcon05Dad 08-18-2002 11:07 AM

'64 Coupe Question

The first '64 coupe I owned in the early 70's was a pretty plain 300hp car. It had an exhaust fan behind the driver's seat that was activated by a vent pull knob below the dash. The coupe I now own is a factory A/C car and there is no evidence of a like exhaust fan. Was the fan installed only on non-A/C coupes or might it have been removed from my current car at some point? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Greg G.
'64 Coupe 365hp A/C, P/W, KOs - Ermine White/Saddle Tan Leather

JmpnJckFlsh 08-18-2002 04:59 PM

Re: '64 Coupe Question (Falcon05Dad)

It had an exhaust fan behind the driver's seat that was activated by a vent pull knob below the dash. The coupe I now own is a factory A/C car and there is no evidence of a like exhaust fan. Was the fan installed only on non-A/C coupes or might it have been removed from my current car at some point? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Greg, I was not previously aware of this fact, but this from Michael Antonick's "Corvette Black Book":

"A fan was added to the rear area of the 1964 coupes to assist with the ventilation problem common to 1963 models. The operating switch for the three-speed fan is located under the driver side dash. The external opening s for the vent are located on the side of the roof, between the door and rear window. The driver's side is functional. The passenger side is not."

On later cars with AC, the manual kick panel vents are omitted, relying on the AC blower to provide ventilation. On 68-72 cars, for example, the rear "Astroventilation" door openings are permanently sealed when the car has AC. I am not knowledgeable about midyears, but I expect that same reasoning originated on 64s, and that would explain the absence of a ventilation fan on your AC coupe.

Maybe someone with midyear experience will contribute some knowledge.

M.Y.Freak 08-18-2002 05:40 PM

Greg,
Back in the late 70's I had a '64 Coupe with factory A/C & I'm FAIRLY certain it had both. I may be having one of those senior moments but I vaguely recall taking out the rear fan & cleaning/checking it while I had the interior out.
Hopefully, others will confirm or unconfirm this.
Regards, Bob L.

midyear 08-18-2002 06:33 PM

Had a 64 AC coupe last year and it had the fan in the rear, remember it well as I turned it on and it refused to shut off, had to remove the carpet panel and pull the cable to the off position.

7vettes 08-27-2002 10:12 PM

All 64 and 65 Coupes had the interior exhaust fan, with the outlet behind the driver, regardless of being an AC car or not. They were notoriously unreliable and ineffective and were a good source of aggravating rattles & squeaks. I removed the entire assembly from my 64 AC Coupe years ago when replacing the carpet.

Tom/99 08-28-2002 09:38 AM

My 1965 factory air coupe, has the exhaust fan in the left side roof pillar. It was discontinued for the 1966 coupes.

cvette79blu 01-20-2019 08:02 PM

64-65 coupe rear Ventilation!

According to my owners manual the rear vent knob is far left or almost under the rotational light switch. (also won't work if the heater is on, according again the owners manual.) Pulling the cable kmob open the motor value. 1/3 half and full open. So what turns the motor electrically on?

Do you twist the knob clock wise? please let me know as this rear vent. thing has been driving me crazy for months and no one seem to have the answer. Hell you can't even Google it!

Dave Tracy 01-30-2019 05:10 PM

My '64 with a/c has the fan. Owned the car since 1970.

cvette79blu 01-30-2019 06:16 PM

That's great but this has noting to do with A/C!
I did consult reputable Corvette Mechanic and he gave me the answer I'v been looking for!
A/C heater Temp and Def. are all knobs up front above the radio knobs! in the front!

This knob is far left under the rotational light switch!
pull out and twist clockwise! Motor comes on.(in the back)..you can hear it and to test it
you can hold toilet paper up to the driver-side gills on the B-Post and watch it flutter!

Air in the back of the coupe or luggage area goes through small gabs in the rear carpet and is
sucked into the motor which then blows it out the gills! Great back in the days when people smoked!

and that's how it's done!

Dave Tracy 02-21-2019 04:18 PM

"pull out and twist clockwise!" No, you just pull out on the knob. The fan is three speeds and the amount that the lever is pulled out determines the speed. There is no rotation on the cable.

cvette79blu 02-23-2019 08:17 PM

Wow that's cool! can you make a video of that and post it? here or on youtube!?
a friend told me that when the air is coming out of the gills you can hold tissue paper
up to the gills and watch it flutter!

JohnZ 02-10-2020 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy (Post 1598922797)
"pull out and twist clockwise!" No, you just pull out on the knob. The fan is three speeds and the amount that the lever is pulled out determines the speed. There is no rotation on the cable.

The attached .pdf was put together by Dave Zuberer, and explains everything you need to know about the coupe rear blower system. :thumbs: