CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3683063-if-you-can-afford-the-porsche-911-would-you-still-buy-the-corvette.html)

Dano W 07-16-2015 02:03 PM

If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette

Just checked this video yesterday, 3 guys was talk about this.

I will choose Corvette in anytime, even maybe Porsche has better built, but I still like Corvette's performance and aggressive look. I always feel pride when I drive my C7, even I drive next to the porsche on highway.

Porsche purchase? Maybe when I get the next $84K...:yesnod:

Black&White 07-16-2015 02:07 PM

You should know better to ask a question like that here. By the way what did you say the other Brand was called??

Dano W 07-16-2015 02:12 PM

Before I bought my C7, I was consider the Porsche Base 911 or Cayman, I visited the Porsche dealer for test drive and make a offer, and I believe that I'm not the only one who do that here...

C7flossin 07-16-2015 02:13 PM

I would still get the corvette. The looks grabs a lot of attention....if thats sorta your thing, performance is amazing also. Only pros I see by spending a lot of money and barely getting anything, is better build quality, and "bragging" rights, but even driving a C7 could justify that too

J_Vette_Manuel 07-16-2015 02:18 PM

Honestly, when I had my C6 Grand Sport... I lusted after a 911 Turbo. The base car does nothing for me and is cheesy frankly. The 911-4S is what got me wanting a Vette and give up my 600+RWHP Coyote Mustang.

The Grand Sport was a lot of bang for your buck.... Now that I have a C7, my lust for a 911 is gone. I'd buy a Z06 before a 911 all day. Better looking car (subjective) and faaar more power and still pocket 80k compared to a Turbo. For that I'll buy a bad ass GT500 as a daily driver or hell even a BMW Gran Coupe 6. lol.

Short answer, not anymore. GM closed the gap big time w/ the C7. The C8 will only be closer!

meyerweb 07-16-2015 02:19 PM

The 911 is a very complete package, and probably superior to the Stingray in quite a few ways. On the track, it's probably more satisfying to drive, if perhaps not as fast.

But the reality is that few of these cars will ever be tracked. And the current 911, like all late model Porsche's is just ugly. It's gone from classic, to tired, to being about as interesting to look at as a refrigerator. The front-end, in particular, is just fugly.

And lifetime maintenance costs on the Porsche are likely to be 3 or 4 times as high. Maybe even more.

Ernest_T 07-16-2015 02:22 PM

If that includes maintenance and insurance too, then nope.

BlessedHellride 07-16-2015 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by meyerweb (Post 1590063008)
The 911 is a very complete package, and probably superior to the Stingray in quite a few ways. On the track, it's probably more satisfying to drive, if perhaps not as fast.

But the reality is that few of these cars will ever be tracked. And the current 911, like all late model Porsche's is just ugly. It's gone from classic, to tired, to being about as interesting to look at as a refrigerator. The front-end, in particular, is just fugly.

And lifetime maintenance costs on the Porsche are likely to be 3 or 4 times as high. Maybe even more.

:iagree:

RedC7AZ 07-16-2015 02:36 PM

First of all, 911 Base is out of the question no matter what.

If I could afford a 911S, it would be in the picture alongside a couple other $100k - $120k cars I'd be considering along with the C7 Z06.

Could not begin to answer which I'd pick without having driven all of them.

newskatercat 07-16-2015 02:38 PM

Wouldn't even consider the Porche! :rofl: :cheers:

carpe dm 07-16-2015 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by meyerweb (Post 1590063008)

:iagree: I REALLY wanted a 911 at one time.... no more. :thumbs::flag:

Patman 07-16-2015 02:43 PM

I've never liked the looks or the sound of any version of the 911 ever produced

Never-Enough 07-16-2015 02:43 PM

I want a GT3RS.

OnPoint 07-16-2015 02:44 PM

I've considered a 911 TT a couple of times. I just haven't been able to warm up to the styling of the car (although each passing iteration seems to get slowly better in that regard - or I'm just getting used to it).

The 911 just doesn't flip my skirt, style-wise, so it gets too close to violating that old maxim: "Never marry an ugly woman, or buy an ugly sports car". 911 isn't ugly per se - not like a GT-R is to me - but it just doesn't ring enough bells for me.

dvilin 07-16-2015 02:45 PM

I have in the past owned three 911 Porsches including a Turbo. I have chosen the Corvette as I prefer the looks and feel it is way better for the money.
On the other hand if the Porsche Turbo was priced along the lines of the Z06 that would be a difficult decision.
When I owned my 911 Turbo it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the 2015 model which I believe is around 140k.

blue_bomber697 07-16-2015 02:49 PM

I drove a decently optioned 911 Carerra 4 for a test drive a few months after buying my C7. I wanted to see what all the 911 hype was and see if I'd consider it for a future vehicle after my C7.

That drive made me appreciate my Corvette so much more... The interior is slightly better in the Porsche, seats and materials being nicer, but I liked the layout, gaugues, and infotainment better on the C7. The driving experience is so much more viceral in the Corvette though, that exhaust and power is just phenomanal and made the 911 seem incredibly boring and tame. Granted, this was not driving on a track or canyon road, but I was bored and uninterested in the 911.

After the drive, the salesman asked if I could take him for a spin in my C7 as it was the first one they had seen. Took him for a ride, and he couldn't believe how good and nice it was. He said he would also rather have the Corvette. Completely ignoring price, I would take the C7 over the 911 (non-turbo) every day of the week. Funny thing is, I went next door to the Jaguar dealership to check out an F-Type, and the exact same thing happened with the salesman haha. Took him for a short ride as well and changed his perspective on Corvettes!

Also, as far as looks go, 911's are boring. People look and think, hey nice Porsche. But no one will ever be interested enough to come talk to you about it. I get in conversations with people everywhere I go with them drooling over my Corvette. :)

axr6 07-16-2015 02:55 PM

I would NEVER pay money for a car with the engine hanging out behind the rear axle. Even though Porsche quietly moved the engine a few inches towards the middle during the last few years, it is still a rear engined car.

In the words of Bob Akin, famous ex-Porsche racer, regarding the 911:

"You can't make a race-horse out of a pig but, you can make an awful fast pig".

Yes, while any rear engined car is a PIG, it is simply that Porsche over the decades has largely tamed its piggish tendencies to spin out in corners uner various conditions when a mid or front engined car would be controllable.

Ever wonder why no other manufacturer makes rear engine cars anymore? They do have a couple of advantages; acceleration traction and braking traction but, on the whole the negatives far outweigh the positives.

C8Jake 07-16-2015 02:57 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4f9af263ac.jpg

Patman 07-16-2015 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Never-Enough (Post 1590063202)
I want a GT3RS.

My neighbor has one, and honestly it sounds awful and that big wing on the back looks hideous! :ack:

Crabbers 07-16-2015 02:58 PM

Post this on the Porsche forums and the answer is going to be different. The audience is going to influence the answer.

IMO (and it's only an opinion), I would have neither. I can think of plenty of other cars I would rather have for $84k.