CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3683063-if-you-can-afford-the-porsche-911-would-you-still-buy-the-corvette.html)

1SG_Ret 07-18-2015 12:20 PM

Never can understand why someone posts an inflammatory comment in a forum of enthusiasts. Much easier to leave that comment out unless they want to "stir the pot". You could have made your point far better without it and kept the dscusssion on topic.

Originally Posted by Crabbers (Post 1590070888)
The Viper would blow out the base Stingray. The 4C is a better track car, but IMO the Stingray is the more livable day to day car (I think most people would agree that the Stingray is more luxurious). The C63 I would get would be the coupe because the sedan doesn't look quite right to me (and the M3 is another car I left out). I would take the base F-Type over a C7 without a second thought. The Aston Martin GT costs under $100k (barely), otherwise I wouldn't have included it on the list, and again, I'm assuming you're talking about the base C7, as plenty of Astons are faster than that. The C7 is a better track car than most of them yes, but overall, the Aston is the car I prefer 100 times out of 100.

I have no idea why you keep saying none of the cars I listed can compete with the C7. You must be talking about the Z06 (in that case, the Viper is the only one on par with it that I listed). That being said, performance isn't the end all be all.

The C7 is one of the ugliest cars I have seen, so yes, I would buy every single car on that list and then plenty of others before I got a C7 (which is why I did). It's also uncomfortable inside. The base car is a great car, but I hate the looks and comfort of it.

If all you care about is performance (and that appears to be the case), then the C7 is a good pick (although there are still better ones out there). Things like comfort, styling, fit and finish, driving feel, and a multitude of other things come into the equation when I look at buying a car. I would pick an F-type R, but even the base F-Type is a much more appealing car. It's beautiful when compared to almost anything, and much more so when compared to a C7. The interior and fit and fish are much better, it sounds better, and it's much more comfortable. So it doesn't perform as well, that's one minor drawback. It's not exactly slow.

Why did you ask what I would rather have and then try to refute my list when I gave it to you? I know you like your car, but you don't need to try and convince everyone else how great it is in order to justify your purchase to yourself. If you ask a question as to what I would get instead, then accept the answer, don't try to convince me that my opinion is wrong by telling me how great the C7 is by comparison. On the flip side, I could ask you why you would pick an uncomfortable, ugly, and slow car such as the C7. And by comparison to the Viper, the base Stingray is slow.

Hell, I'd take every car on that list over a C7 Z06 as well.

Crabbers 07-18-2015 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret (Post 1590076772)
Never can understand why someone posts an inflammatory comment in a forum of enthusiasts. Much easier to leave that comment out unless they want to "stir the pot". You could have made your point far better without it and kept the dscusssion on topic.

I was asked point blank about it and didn't make any inflammatory remarks when I answered. Only when I kept getting pressed did I express my dislike for the styling (which isn't inflammatory, it's just an opinion. There's nothing wrong with liking it, I just don't). Too often people take offense to an opinion offered by someone else. If I say I wouldn't buy one but I keep getting pressed as to why and how my opinion isn't valid, then I'll tell you why.

If I ask you why you don't like something and then get mad becuase you answer honestly, then I'm just an arrogant person that thinks only my opinion is right and people aren't allowed to think differently.

thrilled 07-18-2015 02:03 PM

Um I could have bought A Ferrari or the new Lamburgini at $493,000.But I would be kicking
Myself in the A_ _ every day.i do miss not waiting A year and getting the Z06.
I'm tight went with the 2014 1LT no options $49,000 .I think paying huge amounts of money
For A car is A little reckless.I love this stingray.

1SG_Ret 07-18-2015 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Crabbers (Post 1590076940)
I was asked point blank about it and didn't make any inflammatory remarks when I answered. Only when I kept getting pressed did I express my dislike for the styling (which isn't inflammatory, it's just an opinion. There's nothing wrong with liking it, I just don't). Too often people take offense to an opinion offered by someone else. If I say I wouldn't buy one but I keep getting pressed as to why and how my opinion isn't valid, then I'll tell you why.

If I ask you why you don't like something and then get mad becuase you answer honestly, then I'm just an arrogant person that thinks only my opinion is right and people aren't allowed to think differently.

No problems with opinions. Everyone has them. Sometimes it's all in the presentation.

Crabbers 07-18-2015 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret (Post 1590078389)
No problems with opinions. Everyone has them. Sometimes it's all in the presentation.

I don't see you commenting on the presentation of negative comments towards other cars :shrug: One might think it has nothing to do with the presentation, only the car being commented on.

RedC7AZ 07-18-2015 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Crabbers (Post 1590070888)

The C7 is one of the ugliest cars I have seen, so yes, I would buy every single car on that list and then plenty of others before I got a C7 (which is why I did). It's also uncomfortable inside. The base car is a great car, but I hate the looks and comfort of it.

It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. It may ruffle a few C7 owners feathers.

However, to put your opinion in perspective..... the overall C7 styling is widely popular and considered by the vast majority to have the "it" factor. Us C7 owners are still experiencing the looks and compliments our C7s get everywhere we go.

In start contrast, your opinion falls with the vast minority.

Crabbers 07-18-2015 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ (Post 1590079351)
It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. It may ruffle a few C7 owners feathers.

However, to put your opinion in perspective..... the overall C7 styling is widely popular and considered by the vast majority to have the "it" factor. Us C7 owners are still experiencing the looks and compliments our C7s get everywhere we go.

In start contrast, your opinion falls with the vast minority.

I'm fully aware of that and I don't mind being in the minority, it's one of the reasons I didn't buy one. I have no problems with anyone who finds it beautiful :cheers:

All I would ask is that instead of being called crazy, or a troll, or anything else along those lines that it would simply be acknowledged as an opinion I hold.

jcthorne 07-18-2015 08:12 PM

Previous car was a Ford GT. I seriously considered the 911 turbo, R8, GTR, and even a Tesla. Bought the Z06/Z07. Could not be happier.:willy:

AUTO_X_AL 07-18-2015 08:35 PM

If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette

If I could get a 911 GT3 loaded to the gills or a turbo S, I'd have a hard time but I think the GT3 is a killer car. Base 911 to a Z51 isn't even in the ball park. I could've done hat but I don't care for the gutless P cars. I know a guy with a Cayman GT4 and I think my car gave him a case of cognitive dissonance. The gt4 cayman is a great car too btw.

weston98 07-18-2015 08:45 PM

Both are excellent cars and have their own distinct character, IMO.

I now drive a 2015 Z51 M7 3LT convertible and a 1997 911 twin turbo which I've enjoyed for the last 11 years. I traded a 2009 C6 Z06 for the C7. (In the past I had a 1984, 1999, 2002 911 Carrera and a 2000 GT3 Cup which I raced for three years in PCA)

I drive each one whenever I can.

Driving the 911 with its high revving flat six screaming right behind your head versus the vette's awesome V8 and low end torque are very different experiences. Both cars handle great. GM really nailed it with the C7. Much better than the C6 which always felt to me like it was riding above the road. The C7 feels planted and connected to the road, much like the 911.

I'm happy to have both and enjoy them each for their own virtues.

WesC7 07-18-2015 09:06 PM

I looked at BMWs, 911s & Tesla's.... All exceptionally nice cars....but what really swayed me was the $$$'s difference for what I received.

I love my C7 and have no regrets whatsoever....... GM hit a Grand Slam with this car..... :thumbs:

RedC7AZ 07-18-2015 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Crabbers (Post 1590079399)
I'm fully aware of that and I don't mind being in the minority, it's one of the reasons I didn't buy one. I have no problems with anyone who finds it beautiful :cheers:

All I would ask is that instead of being called crazy, or a troll, or anything else along those lines that it would simply be acknowledged as an opinion I hold.

One of the reasons you didn't buy a C7 was to be part of the minority, meaning you did not want to be part of the majority who like the styling ??

1SG_Ret 07-18-2015 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Crabbers (Post 1590078489)
I don't see you commenting on the presentation of negative comments towards other cars :shrug: One might think it has nothing to do with the presentation, only the car being commented on.

Honestly, if I have nothing positive to say, I usually refrain from comment, whether it's a car, color, wheel choice, etc.

Perhaps it's a bit of both since this is the C7 section where owners or potential owners discuss and share info about the C7 model. As a non-owner stating that the car is ugly can be off-putting. Perhaps, "I'm not a fan of the new design" would have been a better choice of words (considering the audience). Not sure if you get where I'm coming from, so I'll end it here. :cool:

Crabbers 07-18-2015 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ (Post 1590079888)
One of the reasons you didn't buy a C7 was to be part of the minority, meaning you did not want to be part of the majority who like the styling ??

How did you interpret my comment that way? No, one of the reasons I didn't buy it was because the styling isn't to my tastes.

Crabbers 07-18-2015 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret (Post 1590079926)
Honestly, if I have nothing positive to say, I usually refrain from comment, whether it's a car, color, wheel choice, etc.

Perhaps it's a bit of both since this is the C7 section where owners or potential owners discuss and share info about the C7 model. As a non-owner stating that the car is ugly can be off-putting. Perhaps, "I'm not a fan of the new design" would have been a better choice of words (considering the audience). Not sure if you get where I'm coming from, so I'll end it here. :cool:

I didn't just say that unprompted. Someone asked me why in a very rude way. I could've lied, I could've ignored the question, but I opted to answer it. You're acting like I came into this thread just to say the car was ugly, which is not the case at all.

themonk 07-19-2015 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Crabbers (Post 1590079961)
I didn't just say that unprompted. Someone asked me why in a very rude way. I could've lied, I could've ignored the question, but I opted to answer it. You're acting like I came into this thread just to say the car was ugly, which is not the case at all.

you're just a punk troll, don't try to back pedal and say "well....uhhhhh, someone pressed me into saying it".....how old are you 12? Your ignorance once again comes shining through, everyone sees it alright. Why don't you just hang out in C6 Gen and stroke each other's egos by saying how much better the C6 is over the 7.

OnPoint 07-19-2015 01:12 AM

I don't have any issues with Crabbers point of view. He doesn't like the styling of the C7. That's fine. Different strokes.

And I'm a C7 owner.

:cheers:

TARANTULA 07-19-2015 01:28 AM

No and I didn't. But corvette are great cars too. I really enjoyed my c6z06