CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   1969 Starter problem (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3683465-1969-starter-problem.html)

kodaclr 07-17-2015 10:04 AM

1969 Starter problem

Hi, I think I am having a starter problem, I have a 69 with a 350 and automatic. when I turn the key I get one click, then nothing, I had the battery checked and thats good. I do need to check all of the connections but they seem fine at first glance.

Is there any secrets to swapping out the starter or is it easy swap.

Thanks

69Vett 07-17-2015 11:26 AM

you need to verify all gnd connections on the car, particularly the gnd. cable going from frame to starter motor area. clean to metal surface.
check positive battery connection at both ends, fresh charged battery.
if it still just clicks, replace, or rebuild starter solenoid.
checking connection does not mean look at it.
it means Physically remove it, clean, inspect and reinstall/repair.

Navy01Coupe 07-17-2015 11:48 AM

I swapped out the starter on my 1970 a few years ago. It was pretty easy to do.

Turns out the one that I replaced was a marine starter and not even rated/suggested (whatever the correct term is) for my car/engine.

toobroketoretire 07-17-2015 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by kodaclr (Post 1590068633)
Hi, I think I am having a starter problem, I have a 69 with a 350 and automatic. when I turn the key I get one click, then nothing, I had the battery checked and thats good. I do need to check all of the connections but they seem fine at first glance.

Is there any secrets to swapping out the starter or is it easy swap.

Thanks

Most "starter" problems are the result of a bad positive battery connection so clean both battery connections down to shiny lead and coat the surfaces with NoCo to prevent future oxidation.

kodaclr 07-17-2015 03:21 PM

ok, thanks everyone, the guy at corvette store said the same, so I am going to do that before buying new one.
Thanks again

68/70Vette 07-17-2015 05:31 PM

Unless you're a NCRS person, I'd recommend a mini-starter. They are much smaller and being small and light, are easier to install. They're just as powerful as the original starter even though being smaller.

LS4 PILOT 07-17-2015 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by 69Vett (Post 1590069358)
you need to verify all gnd connections on the car, particularly the gnd. cable going from frame to starter motor area. clean to metal surface.

Physically remove it, clean, inspect and reinstall/repair.

Amen brother .......that's the deal .....looking at it doesn't mean squat .....it's like battery cables ...because the plastic covering is OK or the ends are clean doesn't mean the cables have internal corrosion between strands

You have to take the stuff apart ....scrape, brush, file, pick, sand paper , clean ......everything .......a lot of times it's not A Problem .....but twenty small electric issues that add up to poor starting, weak batteries etc..

Your right .....to many people blame the major parts when the connections are all that is bad to begin with.

toobroketoretire 07-18-2015 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT (Post 1590072765)
Amen brother .......that's the deal .....looking at it doesn't mean squat .....it's like battery cables ...because the plastic covering is OK or the ends are clean doesn't mean the cables have internal corrosion between strands

You have to take the stuff apart ....scrape, brush, file, pick, sand paper , clean ......everything .......a lot of times it's not A Problem .....but twenty small electric issues that add up to poor starting, weak batteries etc..

Your right .....to many people blame the major parts when the connections are all that is bad to begin with.

Delco Remy claims 95% of all electrical problems are a result of a bad connection and in the 50+ years that I have been twisting wrenches (20 of them professionally) I have found that to be absolutely true.