CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Oil change drain bolt stuck! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3684749-oil-change-drain-bolt-stuck.html)

C6LS2M6 07-19-2015 11:15 PM

Oil change drain bolt stuck!

I'm attempting my first DIY oil change, but can not get the drain bolt removed. I am strong and have pulled very hard on the socket wrench, and have also tried striking it with a hammer, but it won't budge. It seems like whoever tightened this bolt really overdid it.

The only thing I've seen online that looks like it might help is some guy suggested wedging a jack under the wrench handle and cranking it up, but this seems like a sketchy/difficult idea.

Can anyone recommend a bigger socket wrench with some kind of pry-bar attachment, or another tool or method to get this bolt off?

I don't want to give up and take it to someone else after buying the Rhino ramps, oil pan, filter, tools, etc...

Welker1 07-19-2015 11:21 PM

When I've had nuts/bolts that were on that tight, I've taken one of the handle parts from a hydraulic jack and slipped it over the socket wrench handle to get extra leverage ...

RadarP3C 07-19-2015 11:21 PM

You are turning it counter-clockwise, right?

A breaker bar will probably work.

HBsurfer 07-19-2015 11:32 PM

Put a pipe over the end of your ratchet for extra leverage. 2'-0 long or so will do it.
Lefty loosey!!! (Or counter clockwise as noted above)

Power Hawk 07-19-2015 11:54 PM

Another vote for putting a pipe over the end of your wrench for extra leverage. Good luck.

See5see6 07-20-2015 12:27 AM

Make sure the socket you are using is a 6-point one and not a 12-point one. Don't want to round off the edges on the drain plug. Then it really will be tough to break loose.

C6LS2M6 07-20-2015 03:40 AM

Thanks guys! I push a mouse around all day, so my mechanical skills need some development. I now realize that the pry bar attachment for the jack stand has a hole that fits the socket wrench handle perfectly. Wish I saw that when I had her up on the ramps earlier, but will give it a shot tomorrow.

And yes, I was using the correct socket and turning the right direction, but thanks for checking :)

RocketDawg 07-20-2015 05:26 AM

You might want to make sure you have a new washer on hand too in case the old one was destroyed when the guy put your drain plug back in. You don't want to be leaking oil all over the place.

Don-Vette 07-20-2015 05:57 AM

1. Spray with penetrating oil.

2.use breaker bar on socket,or pipe or whatever. You need the leverage.

PLAN B: turn on your compressor and use an impact gun.

cuspid 07-20-2015 06:37 AM

Pan is aluminum don't over tighten in first place

FortMorganAl 07-20-2015 08:18 AM

Steel bolt in an aluminum pan is not a good idea to begin with. Putting a jack under the wrench is a TERRIBLE idea because you can't control the angle you are applying the force and will snap the head off of bolts. Ask me how I know. :ack:

Breaker bars are made and sold for this purpose. 2-3 feet of pipe works also and can apply enough force to snap most bolts. When you put the plug back in, make sure the bolt and pan are the same temperature (leave the bolt sitting loose in the hole for several minutes before final tightening) and tighten to 18 ft/lb. That's not very tight.

dryadsdad 07-20-2015 08:28 AM

ALWAYS use a new crush washer and tighten to spec which isn't very hard. The key to getting a good seal with the proper torque is the new washer.

Bellebuddy1 07-20-2015 09:25 AM

I think I would drop by the dealer and pick up a new bolt and washer just for good measure.

Not So Fast 07-20-2015 11:04 AM

This sounds like trouble waiting to happen :(
Cant believe anyone would tighten it that much :crazy:
NSF

mikeCsix 07-20-2015 01:46 PM

OP, you may want to thoroughly warm up the engine before attempting to loosen the drain plug with anything more than a socket wrench. By warm, I mean 200 degree warm. There are dissimilar metals, the aluminum will expand more than the steel drain plug. then I would consider a breaker bar.

EVRose 07-20-2015 01:59 PM

I had a tough time getting mine off the first time while I was lying on my back under the car. There just isn't enough leverage with your arm bent trying to push or pull on a ratchet handle and the plug is on too tight. My solution was to put a 3ft (or maybe it was 4ft) extension on the ratchet and turn it from the side of the car and not have to be under it. Doing it this way also make it unnecessary to raise the car at all to drain the oil and the car is level while draining. I do raise it a bit to get the filter off and on though.

buckmeister2 07-20-2015 07:17 PM

Nobody has mentioned, but I know everyone is thinking it. Suggestion: Don't ever, EVER take your car back to the last place that changed the oil...

Patsgarage 07-20-2015 10:57 PM

Am I the only one who would never use a socket on a drain plug ? Wrenches only !

HBsurfer 07-20-2015 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Patsgarage (Post 1590094543)
Am I the only one who would never use a socket on a drain plug ? Wrenches only !

6 point socket every time. How else can you torque the bolt going back in?

billyboy47 07-20-2015 11:33 PM

fumoto oil plug and fuss no more,check it out on amazon.:yesnod: