CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/wheels-and-tires-6/)
-   -   Pilot Super Sport vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/wheels-and-tires/3688618-pilot-super-sport-vs-pilot-super-sport-zp.html)

slayer6x6 07-27-2015 04:11 PM

Pilot Super Sport vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but search terms for Michelin, Pilot, and Sport comes up with overwhelming results.

For the first time in my life I'm ready to invest a good amount of money on tires. I've always gone with cheapo rubber, so I've never really had the pleasure on riding on a nice set of tires. After weeks of pondering, I've finally decided to pull the trigger on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, only to find out they're on some kind of intergalactic backorder, and even Michelin doesn't know when they'll become available. On the flip side, it looks like the PSS ZP model is readily available. I've always had this negative connotation towards run flats, they're noisy, slippery, and just plain clumsy. I wanted to see if anybody has had personal experience with both tires, and if they could weigh in on their comparison before I spend another $400 on what I was expecting to pay.

Cliff notes: Do the PSS and PSSZP have equal performance?

63Corvette 07-28-2015 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by slayer6x6 (Post 1590141714)
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but search terms for Michelin, Pilot, and Sport comes up with overwhelming results.

For the first time in my life I'm ready to invest a good amount of money on tires. I've always gone with cheapo rubber, so I've never really had the pleasure on riding on a nice set of tires. After weeks of pondering, I've finally decided to pull the trigger on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, only to find out they're on some kind of intergalactic backorder, and even Michelin doesn't know when they'll become available. On the flip side, it looks like the PSS ZP model is readily available. I've always had this negative connotation towards run flats, they're noisy, slippery, and just plain clumsy. I wanted to see if anybody has had personal experience with both tires, and if they could weigh in on their comparison before I spend another $400 on what I was expecting to pay.

Cliff notes: Do the PSS and PSSZP have equal performance?

I can't answer your question. The standard PSS is an awesome tire. However, the only ZP model that I am familiar with is on the C7 Z06 which I instructed at CoTA. They stick extremely well (I thought they were CupII tires), and the Forum members here tell me that the ZP has significantly stiffer sidewall then the non ZP. I would think (guess) that if you can afford the higher priced ZP and don't mind the added weight, the performance should be close to equal.

twinarrow99 07-30-2015 10:35 AM

Pilot Super Sport vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP

I cannot speak to the difference, but last week replaced GS OEM GY RF's after 19000 mi with Pilot Super Sports. Big difference, less noise, smoother ride. Ordered from local Discount Tire, they were shipped and installed in 3 days. Was expecting the huge delay, no problem getting them in San Antonio.

vet55 08-04-2015 01:39 PM

Speaking only for the ZP's, they have been great. Ride nice and secure with the idea of a flat. I am, however, switching to the SS's because the ZP's are loud on some roads and looking for a better grip to the rear.

To qualify, I have not driven the SS's, I am going by extensive reading and current GS drivers. fwiw.

slayer6x6 08-06-2015 03:35 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like tire rack finally has an ETA of late August on the non run flats, so I'm patiently waiting for those!

c5racr1 08-20-2015 07:59 PM

I have had both on the same car, the sszp and the ss. The ss offers a better ride, not as noticeable as coming from a good year to michelin and they stick on a road course. The sszp are a little more noisy then the regular ss on certain roads. They stick also on the road courses. I changed from the ss to the sszp because of the zp, and using a spare set of rims with cups. Bottom line is if you don't need the zp function get the ss, if you do the zp ain't giving up much.

On a side bar I have 295/30/19 with not many miles for sale.

skar 08-23-2015 07:54 AM

Good info , picked up a c6 this week and it needs tires .
Leaning towards the SS. I Gusses I can get a can of fix a flat
and small air pump and keep in back ? Or am I wasting time money
and space doing that.

vet55 08-26-2015 07:58 AM

Picked up the GS yesterday with the new PSS's on the front only. Backs are ZP's that won't wear out. The dead ZP's were loud and rough and the PSS's are quiet and smooth and grip like crazy. I will get PSS's for the back next go 'round.
I suggest the PSS's to anyone.
Thx!