CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Wheel Cap wont fit (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3688850-wheel-cap-wont-fit.html)

Christian327 07-28-2015 12:21 AM

Wheel Cap wont fit

So the zr1 wheels that came with the c5 also came with these neat little wheel caps with the corvette emblem. Only thing is that they fit on the front wheels but on the rear wheels they wont snap on. The dealer said something about how the axle may be too long or something of that sort (I honestly dont know what that means for me). Another mechanic suggested that I use wheel spacers from a local auto store and that it'll solve my little problem. I have heard some not so good things about wheel spacers on the c5 and I dont want to spend a lot of money just to get a cap on. Has anyone ever had the same problem or know how I should be able to make it work? Thanks!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...13178098e8.jpg

^^^^These are my front wheels and fit as they ought to

Sydwayz 07-28-2015 12:41 AM

How close are they to snapping in?
If you look closely at the end of the (rear) axle, you will see that it sticks out a bit. This interferes with some aftermarket wheel center caps. Notice they are of a way different design than you factory wheels.

I was able to take a grinding wheel and relieve the back of the cap enough that they were able to snug into my wheels. They don't sit flush, but you can't tell on my deep dish black wheels.

Your mileage may vary.

Christian327 07-28-2015 01:24 AM

Wheel Cap wont fit

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
How close are they to snapping in?
If you look closely at the end of the (rear) axle, you will see that it sticks out a bit. This interferes with some aftermarket wheel center caps. Notice they are of a way different design than you factory wheels.

I was able to take a grinding wheel and relieve the back of the cap enough that they were able to snug into my wheels. They don't sit flush, but you can't tell on my deep dish black wheels.

Your mileage may vary.

They are really really close to snapping on. But they don't fully snap on all the way...and yep you're right, as of right now I have some generic center caps on the two back wheels and they are designed differently than the aftermarket ones. I can post a pic tomorrow but it seems like you know what I'm talking about. Thanks, I will try to get my hands on a grinding wheel and try it out!

Cliff8928 07-28-2015 02:40 AM

I cut down my CV shaft ends to fit the center caps of my HRE 845R wheels on the back as well..

SG Lou 07-28-2015 09:47 AM

Your wheels look like they are painted, correct me if I'm wrong.
How about getting another pair that fit, like the pair you already have, paint all of them to match the wheel color and get center cap emblems. Ebay is loaded with different size and year vinyl emblem stickers.
There may even be a Vendor on the Forum who sells those emblem stickers. Just a thought

Christian327 07-28-2015 10:59 AM

Wheel Cap wont fit

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Your wheels look like they are painted, correct me if I'm wrong.
How about getting another pair that fit, like the pair you already have, paint all of them to match the wheel color and get center cap emblems. Ebay is loaded with different size and year vinyl emblem stickers.
There may even be a Vendor on the Forum who sells those emblem stickers. Just a thought

I don't believe they were painted, I think the color is called 'competition grey'. Yea very true, that will definitely be another option because I have a set of 4 that match the wheel already that are plain Jane. Do the emblem stickers stay on for a while? It gets pretty hot in the Houston heat.

imgn tht 07-28-2015 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Christian327 (Post 1590145102)
The dealer said something about how the axle may be too long or something of that sort (I honestly dont know what that means for me).

What that means is the rear wheels are likely a bit different offset from the original and sit tucked inside the wheel well a bit more. This allows the rear axle hub to protrude further into the center of the wheel area, thus preventing the rear center caps from snapping into place. You can puchase thin spacers to push the entire wheel out further so the cap fits, but you would need to consider if this makes the entire wheel stick out past the fender or if it is flush. This also mean less hub bolt threads to tighten the lugs onto and will vary depending on the size (mm thickness) spacer you get. What you are adding to solve the center cap issue, you are taking away from the mounting bolts.

The other option, which in my opinion is not only cheaper, but safer as well (and doesn't change the wheel to fender relationship) is to grind down the axle hub a tiny bit. Won't affect structurally integrity doing this, as you are just taking off a sliver of the hub and not getting near the threads. Look at your axle hub and you'll understand what I mean by this.

Good Luck.

neutron82 07-28-2015 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff8928 (Post 1590145440)
I cut down my CV shaft ends to fit the center caps of my HRE 845R wheels on the back as well..

this is what I would do personally

SG Lou 07-28-2015 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Christian327 (Post 1590147190)
I don't believe they were painted, I think the color is called 'competition grey'. Yea very true, that will definitely be another option because I have a set of 4 that match the wheel already that are plain Jane. Do the emblem stickers stay on for a while? It gets pretty hot in the Houston heat.

Yes they are pretty durable

Christian327 07-29-2015 02:05 PM

Ok last question:

So I guess my three options are 1) shave a little off the cv shaft ends 2) Buy wheel spacers or 3) Just buy emblem stickers.

Seems like emblem stickers may be the least amount of 'work' done to the car, which I really like the idea of. On the corvette forum store, there are 3 mm & 5 mm wheel spacers. Seems like those would be small enough to make it work without messing up any kind of thread left on the hubs. I would just shave the piece off the axle like most of yall are saying but I dont have the tools to do so. Here is the link to the wheel spacers, http://store.corvetteforum.com/p-121...and-sport.aspx and is probably what im leaning toward as of right now. Unless I can find a mechanic to just do the shaving for me. last question is: would any of these be a bad, dont do it, kind of choice? so many decisions for such a small thing lol sorry if im bugging yall, just want to get it done and get it done right.

imgn tht 07-29-2015 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Christian327 (Post 1590156650)
Ok last question:

So I guess my three options are 1) shave a little off the cv shaft ends 2) Buy wheel spacers or 3) Just buy emblem stickers.

Seems like emblem stickers may be the least amount of 'work' done to the car, which I really like the idea of. On the corvette forum store, there are 3 mm & 5 mm wheel spacers. Seems like those would be small enough to make it work without messing up any kind of thread left on the hubs. I would just shave the piece off the axle like most of yall are saying but I dont have the tools to do so. Here is the link to the wheel spacers, http://store.corvetteforum.com/p-121...and-sport.aspx and is probably what im leaning toward as of right now. Unless I can find a mechanic to just do the shaving for me. last question is: would any of these be a bad, dont do it, kind of choice? so many decisions for such a small thing lol sorry if im bugging yall, just want to get it done and get it done right.

You really only have 2 options that I can tell...what are you planning to stick the emblem stickers to if the center cap won't fit? :toetap:

As for tools, do you have access to a Dremel with a grinding wheel? That is all that is needed. That's how I did mine and no issues or negatives I can tell. And many others have done the same without ill-effects as you've come to find in your research.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the spacer (they're cheap enough), the 3mm would likely do the trick as you probably aren't that far from fitting as it is. For a buck more you can get the thicker ones to be sure. No concerns here if you choose this route.

Christian327 07-29-2015 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by imgn tht (Post 1590157003)
You really only have 2 options that I can tell...what are you planning to stick the emblem stickers to if the center cap won't fit? :toetap:

As for tools, do you have access to a Dremel with a grinding wheel? That is all that is needed. That's how I did mine and no issues or negatives I can tell. And many others have done the same without ill-effects as you've come to find in your research.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the spacer (they're cheap enough), the 3mm would likely do the trick as you probably aren't that far from fitting as it is. For a buck more you can get the thicker ones to be sure. No concerns here if you choose this route.

Ok thanks brother...I have the 'stock' center caps still with me and they fit so thats what I would stick the emblem stickers too and just get rid of the aftermarket caps...Ok thank you. I will take all of this into consideration. Thats why I love this forum. Feel a lot more confident in whichever route I take. Thanks a lot everyone!