CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   What model Battery Tender do you use (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3698036-what-model-battery-tender-do-you-use.html)

Brians1 08-15-2015 09:22 PM

What model Battery Tender do you use

Well Im tired of getting in my vette every Sat AM and having to try and crank it to only have to throw the battery charger on it....

My days of getting to drive it will be far and very in-between as my wife and I have a newborn (12 days old :) Little girl and we have our 4 year old son.

I guess I'm at the stage that I need a battery tender to avoid the headaches, question is what Model is adequate enough so that I don't spend more $$ than I need to....diapers stole all my "go fast" money LOL

RicK T 08-15-2015 09:27 PM

Battery Tender Plus. Been on my car almost every day for 7 years.

The Junior will work but takes a lot longer to bring a battery up to full charge after driving, it's 3/4 amp vs the Plus's 1 1/4 amp.

Brians1 08-15-2015 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by RicK T (Post 1590277986)

The Junior will work but takes a lot longer to bring a battery up to full charge after driving, it's 3/4 amp vs the Plus's 1 1/4 amp.

Thanks Rick :):cheers:

ChevyDave 08-15-2015 09:41 PM

this.. i forget which paid vendor(s) here sell it. but i found it very useful in the winter and rainy season.
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/v...s66lnbtbl.jpeg
yes they are more expensive than other ones probably

GASCAR 08-15-2015 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know how you feel, for the past few years I just keep mine plugged in. I use This ctek 3300, I just plug it into my cigars lighter. It's great no fuss.

Brians1 08-15-2015 09:43 PM

SO i looked at the 3300...confused a little I guess...

If it plugs into the cigarette lighter...then I assume i have to have the door open as I need it plugged into the wall right...same trade off with the Battery Tender brand, just with the hood open enough to have the wires from it ?

Bob Yocum 08-15-2015 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brians1 (Post 1590278069)
SO i looked at the 3300...confused a little I guess...

If it plugs into the cigarette lighter...then I assume i have to have the door open as I need it plugged into the wall right...same trade off with the Battery Tender brand, just with the hood open enough to have the wires from it ?

At the bottom of the door channel there is a groove that you can run your cord out and still have the door shut.

4SUMERZ 08-15-2015 10:56 PM

I have used the "Battery Tender Plus" for my C6 since 2009 during the winter hibernation. It stays plugged in from Nov 1-April 1.
I don't need it during the running season because the car hardly shuts down.
I do use the battery tender plus on my electric golf cart during the summer months to recharge the battery almost daily.

It's been a beast of a battery tender for sure.

:cheers:

Blk 08 C6 08-15-2015 11:52 PM

ctek 3300 for the 3 cars plugged in the wall outlet.Ive had it for a couple of years now.no problem always starts up.

Rusler John 08-16-2015 12:32 AM

I've been using the CTEK 3300 and have had no problems. I plug into the cig lighter and let the wire feed out the groove in the passenger door sill.
It always starts up.

Brians1 08-16-2015 01:05 AM

Thanks a lots gents - really appreciate the feedback !

Virtual Geezer 08-16-2015 03:48 AM

Here's another vote for the CTEK 3300. BTW, the 'official' OE Corvette version is merely a lightly disguised CTEK 3300. I should know, I have both.

littlej72 08-16-2015 08:01 AM

I have jet skis, motorcycles and multiple vehicles so I use some tenders. I have three of the old metal type of the b tender plus. In almost constant use since 2003 or so...work great.

RoadkingC6 08-16-2015 08:17 AM

You may want to look at the Mag Charger set up, although you would still have to buy a battery charger.

mxw128 08-16-2015 08:47 AM

:iagree::thumbs:

FortMorganAl 08-16-2015 09:04 AM

...The Junior will work but takes a lot longer to bring a battery up to full charge after driving, it's 3/4 amp vs the Plus's 1 1/4 amp.

And that's a good thing. The faster you charge a lead acid battery the more damage it does to the battery. All lead acid batteries are damaged by any discharge and any recharge. The slower you discharge and the slower you recharge the more chance the battery has to keep the ions equally distributed in the electrolyte and the less chance for unequal chemical reactions. My BT Jr. might take 4 hours rather than 3 to go green after a drive but I can wait.

I've been using Battery Tender Jrs since 2007 and left one on a car for over 4 years continuously once and the battery was as good the day I sold the car as it had been the day the BT was put on. In commercial settings I have seen very small maintainers that take weeks to charge a battery set keep those batteries working well for over 20 years.

gilbybarr 08-16-2015 09:10 AM

I use one that can be purchased at Walmart....it automatically switches itself from 12 volt to 6 volt (when being used on one of my old 6 volt antique cars). Has three speed charge settings....I always use the slowest one. Not expensive and does just fine....the battery on my c6 lasted almost 8 years (just replaced the original).

Squeaky Wheel 08-16-2015 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rusler John (Post 1590278831)
I've been using the CTEK 3300 and have had no problems. I plug into the cig lighter and let the wire feed out the groove in the passenger door sill. It always starts up.

Think I'll try to find one of these. The idea of just plugging it into the cig lighter sounds very convenient. :thumbs:

I can see where that groove would be handy for those who keep their car outside, however if the car is garaged, why do folks not just crack the window down an inch or so to feed the power cord to their electrical outlet?

tabing 08-16-2015 10:22 AM

I've been using:
BatteryMINDer Model 12117: 12 Volt 1.33 Amp (12V 1.33A) Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator
by BatteryMINDer

and:
BatteryMINDer 12/24 Volt Vehicle Power Plug - Model# VPP-12

on my vette and Ram Cummins truck, (two BIG batteries).

works great, no problems.

With the Power Plug, just put in cigarette lighter, as mentioned above, there is a groove that the electric cord fits in, doesn't crimp the cord at all.

With the desulfator feature, your battery will last for years.

gsflyer2011 08-16-2015 10:41 AM

What model Battery Tender do you use

Ctek has now a better model to the 3300. I cannot remember the model number, check it out on their web site. I have exchanged mine with the new unit. The problem is that when you hook up the 3300 and leave for an extended time away for business or holiday, if there is any power failure for a second or longer 3300 stops charging and has to be reset manually. So when you come back battery could be dead. The new model automatically resumes the charging state.