CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Callaway Honker Right Time to Buy (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3705746-callaway-honker-right-time-to-buy.html)

Christian327 08-31-2015 07:42 PM

Callaway Honker Right Time to Buy

So I have been wanting to buy my first performance mod for a little bit and finally saved up enough to grab the Honker for my 99 coupe. I've done a lot of reading and I feel this is the one for me, even though the price is a little too steep imo...so far I haven't come across anyone selling it used (I guess that means people don't want to give it up? Lol). Best price brand new is around 425 plus tax + shipping. Now here's the question, & I guess it goes out to the forum veterans, now that Black Friday/Christmas is around the corner. Do any of the vendors offer bigger promos closer to the holiday seasons? If so then I'll obviously wait, if not then I'll just purchase it soon. What I don't want to do is buy it and one month later find out there was some extra discount I could have gotten lol thanks for anything helpful!

RueBurgundy 08-31-2015 09:37 PM

Might not be worth much but you could periodically google "callaway honker C5 corvette site:craigslist.org" and see what comes up. Found some guy in Texas selling one with this method and got him to ship it to me here in CA for $210.. just make sure to use paypal, send money as "for goods or services" and specify what the item is in the payment and you should be good.

grantv 08-31-2015 09:42 PM

Do you have any future plans for mods? Honestly, I know you're probably excited about this purchase, but I think you'd be better saving a bit more and upping the budget for something like headers, or if you have an auto, gears!
You might get 5HP on a stock LS1 if that's what you have.
Also, kinda doubt retailers will tell you about sales unless they were about to advertise anyway.
As the other poster said, used might be a better option.

Christian327 08-31-2015 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by RueBurgundy
Might not be worth much but you could periodically google "callaway honker C5 corvette site:craigslist.org" and see what comes up. Found some guy in Texas selling one with this method and got him to ship it to me here in CA for $210.. just make sure to use paypal, send money as "for goods or services" and specify what the item is in the payment and you should be good.

Yea I've tried that for a couple weeks now, I will keep trying and hopefully I can find a steal...thanks for the tip anyways brother!

Christian327 08-31-2015 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by grantv
Do you have any future plans for mods? Honestly, I know you're probably excited about this purchase, but I think you'd be better saving a bit more and upping the budget for something like headers, or if you have an auto, gears!
You might get 5HP on a stock LS1 if that's what you have.
Also, kinda doubt retailers will tell you about sales unless they were about to advertise anyway.
As the other poster said, used might be a better option.

Thanks brother for the helpful word, truthfully the most 'performance mods' I plan on ever doing would be a CAI, cat back (if that even is considered performance) and tune. That's why I had decided to put the CAI first on the list. I want to increase performance but don't want to go too much into it, as I'm somewhat satisfied with the stock, just want a tad bit more lol

striper 08-31-2015 11:09 PM

First of all, let me say that the Honker is a great choice. The quality, fit and performance are as good as OEM. Regarding the price , realize this. Almost every other intake does not include a higher performance air bridge, which can cost anywhere from $100 to $200 dollars additional. The design of the Honker makes it an integral part of the assembly. It also relocates the MAF closer to the throttle body, as GM did when they introduced the C6, which I always wondered about since their close association with Callaway. They even include the correct drill bit for installation. Performance-wise, they are one of the two top performing CAI's. The other one isn't known for their exceptional quality and fit. As for hp, they produce more than just 5 hp when in conjunction with a tune. Some publications reported as much as a 19 hp increase. I have had one on my car for many years now and I love it. It is also easy to maintain when it comes time to clean the filter. I also have never had any problem driving in hard rain. Regardless of what you read on the forum, if you are not cutting a hole in the radiator shroud then it is NOT a cold air intake. Honker:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

striper 08-31-2015 11:14 PM

I would like to add something. If you do an intake and catback, you should also consider a set of headers. Hinson (vendor here) now has a set under $850. Combined with the intake and a good tune, you will feel a noticeable, worthwhile difference.

Christian327 08-31-2015 11:38 PM

Ok cool, good to know. The tuner that I've spoken to gives a prorate for any tunes after the first so if I ever get the itch after then I definitely will go with what yall are saying about the headers then tune. :thumbs: For the very reasons you stated above, are the reasons why I chose the honker above the rest. I think I will wait for maybe another month or two and see if anything pops up and if not then I'll just get it new. I'm pretty excited to actually put some nice touches on the ride.

Hopefully this time next year my 'exterior' mods will be complete:

C6z51Sway bars and c6z06shocks
Callaway honker
Magnaflow or borla catback
And eventually a tune.

Hopefully by then the itch is cured but who knows lol this car is just too much fun.

Vetteman Jack 09-01-2015 06:57 AM

Hard to say if any vendor will put a special on the Callaway Honker, but if they do it could be worth the wait. And if they end up not having a special on them, it's still a good winter project.

Christian327 09-01-2015 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1590392526)
Hard to say if any vendor will put a special on the Callaway Honker, but if they do it could be worth the wait. And if they end up not having a special on them, it's still a good winter project.

:iagree: Good point brother

4XLR8N 09-01-2015 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Christian327 (Post 1590391724)
Ok cool, good to know. The tuner that I've spoken to gives a prorate for any tunes after the first so if I ever get the itch after then I definitely will go with what yall are saying about the headers then tune. :thumbs: For the very reasons you stated above, are the reasons why I chose the honker above the rest. I think I will wait for maybe another month or two and see if anything pops up and if not then I'll just get it new. I'm pretty excited to actually put some nice touches on the ride.

Hopefully this time next year my 'exterior' mods will be complete:

C6z51Sway bars and c6z06shocks
Callaway honker
Magnaflow or borla catback
And eventually a tune.

Hopefully by then the itch is cured but who knows lol this car is just too much fun.

If you want to see some real world results with a Callaway Honker CAI, B&B tri-flow cat back and a dyno tune, check out my Grand Sport project thread...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-project.html

...a lot more mods in the thread (suspension, brakes, etc.) but the only "performance" mods are what I listed above. :cheers:

Big Vig 09-01-2015 12:00 PM

I have a callaway on my 2000 and love it but I have a Vararam and powerduct i bought brand new for my c5 and never installed. Its still in the box if your interested.

Christian327 09-01-2015 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N (Post 1590393870)
If you want to see some real world results with a Callaway Honker CAI, B&B tri-flow cat back and a dyno tune, check out my Grand Sport project thread...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-project.html

...a lot more mods in the thread (suspension, brakes, etc.) but the only "performance" mods are what I listed above. :cheers:

Love your project brother...like the idea of trying to keep things as close to stock as possible while also making the ls1 perform at its peak. Saw the dyno tune, pretty much what i'm expecting. Hopefully it goes well! :cheers:

Christian327 09-01-2015 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Big Vig (Post 1590394450)
I have a callaway on my 2000 and love it but I have a Vararam and powerduct i bought brand new for my c5 and never installed. Its still in the box if your interested.

Thanks bro for the offer. I debated for a long time between the two. My mind is pretty set on the honker now. Nothing wrong with the vararam at all, just like the fitment with the honker better.

TXGS507 09-01-2015 01:05 PM

Call Jeff at Corvettes of Dallas... Tell him you are a friend of mine...
( Matt with the Black c5Z)... He'll know me. Back when I bought mine
(B4 my Halltech KBII) I paid $380 picked up.... I asked if he would honor that price to my Corvette buds... He said he would. Doesn't hurt to ask....

Oh, I too am a Veteran... ( 28 yrs US Army)...:flag:

Originally Posted by Christian327 (Post 1590389947)
So I have been wanting to buy my first performance mod for a little bit and finally saved up enough to grab the Honker for my 99 coupe. I've done a lot of reading and I feel this is the one for me, even though the price is a little too steep imo...so far I haven't come across anyone selling it used (I guess that means people don't want to give it up? Lol). Best price brand new is around 425 plus tax + shipping. Now here's the question, & I guess it goes out to the forum veterans, now that Black Friday/Christmas is around the corner. Do any of the vendors offer bigger promos closer to the holiday seasons? If so then I'll obviously wait, if not then I'll just purchase it soon. What I don't want to do is buy it and one month later find out there was some extra discount I could have gotten lol thanks for anything helpful!

TXGS507 09-01-2015 01:06 PM

My old Honker set up
http://imageshack.com/a/img845/5597/vctd.jpg

Christian327 09-01-2015 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06 (Post 1590394946)

Beautiful! thanks for the heads up, i'll definitely be giving him a call soon. And thanks for your service too brother!