CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Black vert tops (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3725024-black-vert-tops.html)

white top 10-12-2015 11:55 AM

Black vert tops

anyone notice the creases that are apparent in the folds near the back of the top. they look like burnishes. anyway minimize /remove them.

DCortez 10-12-2015 12:44 PM

I'd like to add a second question ... how long do tops last and how often are they changed out?

Glen e 10-12-2015 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by DCortez (Post 1590678381)
I'd like to add a second question ... how long do tops last and how often are they changed out?

In Sun?
Garaged?
Covered?

If garaged and not in sun 24/7, longer than you'll have the car. Def More than 100k if taken care of.

Maintain with ragtop products....
Googl it.

jmiliz 10-12-2015 12:59 PM

I have been using the ragtopp products Glen e referred to for years and never had a top look bad before I got rid of the car.

owc6 10-12-2015 01:11 PM

My '05 has over 200,000 miles on it and the top has thousands of cycles, and just recently have the creases become noticeable. It's a light beige color, so black should show wear even less.

The top on the C7 seems to be made from the same canvas, so I'm assuming it will be just as durable over the next ten years . :cheers:

Larry/car 10-12-2015 02:18 PM

My 1996 looked like new when I sold it last summer. My C7 black top doesn't show the creases and I cycle the top often. I do not leave the top down over night (will show creases for a while if I do). The joy of a convertible over shadows a crease or two if they develop.

meyerweb 10-12-2015 02:32 PM

Yep, keeping the top up when the car is not in use will go a long way towards minimizing those creases. But hey, it's cloth, and cloth will show the effects of being folded. Completely normal

direct007 10-12-2015 02:39 PM

This happens in all color tops. Black is the best color because these marks are not as noticeable as other colors. My C6 had a Gray top which I really liked but the marks made it look dirty even after I cleaned it. The lighter the color, the more it shows, so Tan and White really show them bad. My Brand New C7 already has the "rub marks" after only 3 weeks. I've been dropping the top almost daily with probably 4 up and down cycles per day unless it rained out.

Always Red Dave 10-12-2015 07:06 PM

Creases in the vert top on a C7 are normal and never bother me. I had the creases on my C5 and C6 cars also which didn't bother me either. Not to be a smartass but if the creases bother people that much then they should by a coupe.

Always Red Dave 10-12-2015 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Larry/car (Post 1590679013)
My 1996 looked like new when I sold it last summer. My C7 black top doesn't show the creases and I cycle the top often. I do not leave the top down over night (will show creases for a while if I do). The joy of a convertible over shadows a crease or two if they develop.

Very good point!:thumbs:

DAFFYDRUNK 10-12-2015 08:28 PM

Mine seems to have creases for a bit after I put the top up. I put the top down all the time but I don't leave it down when I'm not driving the car in the very near future.

dmhines 10-12-2015 09:47 PM

I alway put top up if I won't be driving it for a while .. like in parking garage at work or garage at home.

05XLRtoC7_San Diego 10-13-2015 03:02 PM

Wow- great to hear you've gotten 200k out of yours!
The fact that it is cloth (versus vinyl) and glass rear window (versus plastic) seems to help.

My Miata top had to be replaced every 50k or so- but it was ultra thin vinyl with a plastic window that tended to get hazy

Originally Posted by owc6 (Post 1590678568)
My '05 has over 200,000 miles on it and the top has thousands of cycles, and just recently have the creases become noticeable. It's a light beige color, so black should show wear even less.

The top on the C7 seems to be made from the same canvas, so I'm assuming it will be just as durable over the next ten years . :cheers:

crawfish333 10-13-2015 03:45 PM

I had my C6 for 8 years (always garage kept) and the top was fine when I sold the car. That said, it had permanent stains on the folds that I was never able to get rid of. It was tan, not black though.

beepster 10-14-2015 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by direct007 (Post 1590679134)
This happens in all color tops. Black is the best color because these marks are not as noticeable as other colors. My C6 had a Gray top which I really liked but the marks made it look dirty even after I cleaned it. The lighter the color, the more it shows, so Tan and White really show them bad. My Brand New C7 already has the "rub marks" after only 3 weeks. I've been dropping the top almost daily with probably 4 up and down cycles per day unless it rained out.

^This^ Why I gave up on verts and went to the coupe.:flag:

sxeC7 10-14-2015 11:31 AM

I've never had anything other than convertible Vettes and I try to drive them only in nice weather consequently the top stays down most of the time and does get creases. To get rid of them, I give it a bath and let the top dry in the sun. Constantly putting the top up and down and leaving it up outside exposed to the elements and bird deposits takes a toll, I never had one wear out and leak.

VETJAZZ 10-14-2015 11:38 AM

My C7 top already has more noticeable creases than my 50th AE.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...484bbc3898.jpg