CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Mods hurt resell? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3743188-mods-hurt-resell.html)

RR40vette 11-20-2015 08:00 PM

Mods hurt resell?

I own a 1993 40th ruby red anniversary corvette stock; I was just thinking if changing the exhaust and or adding hot cam would that hurt the value of the car when the time comes to sell it?

PatternDayTrader 11-20-2015 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by RR40vette (Post 1590947223)
I own a 1993 40th ruby red anniversary corvette stock; I was just thinking if changing the exhaust and adding hot cam would that hurt the value of the car when the time comes to sell it?

Yes it would.

HAD2HAV2 11-20-2015 08:16 PM

Just changing mufflers should not cause a problem if re-sold later. Most Vette owners like more exhaust noise. This mod can't be seen. More noise cost $1100 on a new C7 from the factory.
Make sure they are drone free.

DanielRicany 11-20-2015 09:04 PM

Nope. As long as the mods are not causing the car to run like crap, i.e. people who can't get a proper tune, or if the mods were done half assed, it shouldn't have a negative impact on the resale value. Only people who would really be turned off by it are collectors or people who want a 100% stock car. There is a market for modified cars.

pologreen1 11-20-2015 09:08 PM

It's a c4 so yes and no. A special c4 is worth something. A run of the mill is worth nothing.
It's all up to the buyer. Imo you can only ask the same price with mods so you lose money that way.

Say I have 30k in to my car, do you think my '90 is worth 4k because of mods, 8k because it's a '90, 12k because of mods, or 20k because of mods?

probably 10-12 would be the best I could pull with the right buyer on a fresh complete car build. That is reality. Magazine mods don't matter. Real mods you lose money on period.

Paul Workman 11-21-2015 04:49 AM

:iagree: w/ pretty much all that has been said. One could perhaps put (Corvettes) into one of 3(?) groups, far as resale goes-
  1. NCRS/special models
  2. Bling mods
  3. Performance mods

Group (1), the top-flite NCRS cars always demand a premium $ and points are deducted for most any non-stock alterations, with few exceptions.

Group (2); The phrase: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" captures most of the "bling" modifications; value added really depends on the individual buyer. The exceptions are a rare few of the iconic visual kits, e.g. the Calloway or Shinoda kits - will demand a better $ point than most "wings and things" add-ons. And, of course, the quality of the modification materials and the installation carries a good deal of weight: poorly done, or gaudy/edgy mods can hurt the sale $ as well as narrow the number of potential customers to the point that removing the modifications may improve resale value.

Group (3): Lets spit this one up:
  • 3A (we'll call it): Factory enhancements performance groups: These cars will pull down bigger $ points than the base cars, e.g., Z06, ZR-1, B2K, etc.
  • 3B Well sorted performance upgrades, especially if done by a well known/reputable after market company (e.g., Lingenfelter, Calloway, etc) can definitely demand bigger $, However, I'd say that even so, the $ spent vs. the $ market value, the initial investment usually suffers (some very nice performance mods can often be had for considerable discount price.
  • 3C: DIY performance mods: The DIY performance mods, especially those that (1) have an unproven or known detrimental effect on the driveability or reliability, of course hurt the sale to the point the seller might consider himself lucky to break even (if not flat out loose $). A lumpy cam or bolt-on forced intake system taints the potential buyer; putting him on alert to potential trouble. This can either hurt the value, but too, can at least expedite the sale (grease the skids, so to say). (Or, change your name to 'Lingenfelter'!! JK :D)
So... It boils down to finding the right buyer as to what mods help or hurt. But, over-all, the very low mileage, "survivor" or top flite NCRS cars, or very limited edition groups (Grand Sports come to mind) draw the big $ on resale, and as others have indicated, you don't want to alter those cars...AT ALL.

...or so it seems to me.

Lloyd Smale 11-21-2015 05:21 AM

in a car that's not really any collector car like a c4 it doesn't hurt a thing. Maybe in 30 years the rarity will show me wrong and mint all stock c4s will be very rare it may effect it but not now. That said surely don't think that adding 2 or 3k in bolt ons is going to make your car worth more either.

zr1fred 11-21-2015 07:56 AM

The exhaust, probably not....as long as its a quality one (Corsa. Borla). It won't get you any more though. The cam? Oh yeah, that will do some damage. Mods are a personalizing thing. Kind of like beer or toothpaste......what you like will probably not be the one someone else buys. Most people distrust modified cars, and see them as signs of possible abuse. Is the girl you meet at church purer than the one you meet at a bar? Possibly not, but still people will assume so.

WW7 11-21-2015 08:01 AM

All I can tell you is if I'm looking for a "low mile" special edition collector car and not just an everyday C4 coupe, I would not get anything that had been altered from stock...I definitely think changing the car from stock would hurt resale..Now, if the car has over 100,000 miles, it wouldn't make much difference....WW

Renfield 11-21-2015 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer (Post 1590947268)
Yes it would.

:iagree: We passed on a C4 with a rebuilt/modded rear end. Otherwise nice.

When I put a supercharger in my previous ride, it was not for the purpose of driving it like an old lady. Mods, to me, indicate someone was pushing the car hard. On to the next.

Paul Workman 11-21-2015 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by zr1fred (Post 1590949165)
*... Is the girl you meet at church purer than the one you meet at a bar? Possibly not, but still people will assume so.

:iagree: :lol: Now dat is phunny...and pretty well 'on the mark'!:yesnod:

FOURSPEEDVETTE 11-22-2015 12:10 PM

As soon as the engine itself starts getting expensive upgrades, expect the value of the car to drop. Body modifications are even worse. Many will pass on buying it because they'll think you probably beat the h-ll out of it. They'll think why else would you make it more powerful if you weren't going to beat on from time to time? They will usually pay more for stock condition cars than altered cars for sure. I sold many cars and have seen it happen most of the time.

RR40vette 11-22-2015 02:19 PM

wow I would not thought that exhaust and gm hot cam would hurt it that much, makes me think to keep it stock for now thanks for the input,

Bulldogger 11-22-2015 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by RR40vette (Post 1590956979)
wow I would not thought that exhaust and gm hot cam would hurt it that much, makes me think to keep it stock for now thanks for the input,

I bought a modified c4 from another member here. It had 1031 heads, LT4 hot cam, headers, and 4:10 rear. I jumped on that deal as it was selling for more then your average c4 but a lot less then if I had paid for the mods myself. It was an awesome deal, and I have had offers on the car even though it is not for sale. Bottom line is the car is worth what it's worth to the party interested in it.

trilkb 11-22-2015 05:21 PM

I think it depends, a car with corsa cat back and big brake kit or c5 conversion, and a procharger should bring more then stock. The person buying it is the deciding factor.

A hotcam car in good running condition brings the same amount in my eyes. People beat the piss out of the car in stock form, at this point a hotcam'd car that runs strong isn't going to diminish the value.

I spent 8000$ on my bone stock 82000 mile 95, I would've gladly paid 8000$ for the same 82000 mile car with a hotcam and exhaust already installed.

73n95 11-22-2015 05:58 PM

Mods are for you, not for the next guy. I have a 3rd owner 95 that is bone stock. The only mod is the radio. As I drive it I am becoming convinced that it was driven in an "adult" manner by all 3 owners. There are no signs of abuse anywhere. In fact the many little details that have been either kept up or repaired tell me that the PO's took pretty good care. If you want to mod the car go ahead, but I seriously doubt you'll see any return, and depending on the mod, you probably wont' lose much either unless you were to f**k up a nice GranSport.

TA 11-22-2015 06:15 PM

Unfortunately C4s are not worth squat in this day and age (outside of ZR1s and GSs) so I would say mod the hell out of your car and don't worry about the resale!

Joe C 11-23-2015 08:16 AM

not a C4, but IMO, here's an example of "mods gone bad."

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/5288152759.html

to be honest, he'll be lucky to get the price of a clean, 90K mile, stock, 2000 FRC. if you mod these things, do it for yourself, enjoy it, and don't expect any return on your "investment."

:rock:

FOURSPEEDVETTE 11-23-2015 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=Joe C;1590960956]not a C4, but IMO, here's an example of "mods gone bad."

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/5288152759.html

What kind of drugs was the appraiser on to value this thing at $101,000.00? :lol: Even with all the money he dumped into it, it's still a 2000 C5. On the high end, it may be worth $20,000.00 if he can find someone who likes that "special" paint job. No one is going to dump more money into it at this price just to repaint it back to something more normal.

QCVette 11-23-2015 09:46 AM

Mods generally do not increase the sale prices, but they do reduce the number of people that are serious about the car.

They have to be only the mods that the buyer would want and there is no way to tell what that is or who to market the car to.

When I look for a car, I generally look for good condition cars that are almost stock or only have certain mods like better wheels/tires, shifter, exhaust, etc. The mods that don't change the reliability of the car. Once they get into other mods like engine work (cam, heads, rebuilt, supercharger, etc) or high ratio gearing, or slam shifting transmissions, I feel like those cars are unknown and I don't want to take a chance with them. They also are more likely to have been run hard.

However, if you are wanting to do some of the more extreme mods, finding one that has already been done will be a bargain compared to doing it yourself. But finding one that is modded the way you want with details of what has been done (and the competence of who did it) is tough.