CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   My 1958 restomod (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3752587-my-1958-restomod.html)

sub006 12-31-2015 12:37 PM

Is that a smaller steering wheel? With power assist?

I'm not a major four-headlight C1 fan, but would take this one in a second!
:thumbs: :flag: :thumbs:

jedjr59restomd 12-31-2015 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ironduke01 (Post 1591222297)
I have all C4 components on the Newman chassis: brakes, steering and suspension. The billet specialty wheels are 18" but the reproduction wheels with covers are 15" like the originals. The 15" wheels clear the brakes but you have to place the balancing weights carefully to avoid interference. Interestingly, the circumference of the 18" tires that I use and the 15" old style wide white walls is about 0.1". No need to recalibrate the speedometer when I change wheels!

Wow,thanks.... this has got me thinking... I too have the Newman chassis with the C4 brakes. I'm going with the GTS quarters which will increase the outer clearance by ~1.5". I love the white walls with the hubcaps, but want a wider tire on the rear. If the 15's will clear the calipers like you are saying. I think I'm going to dig into finding a wider steel wheel for the rears, and investigate the options for the wider whitewalls. Awesome! I've always heard that the 15's would not clear, but never actually ever checked myself. Are your front rotors 13"s? And the rears 12"? Thanks, Ed

Ironduke01 12-31-2015 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by sub006 (Post 1591223818)
Is that a smaller steering wheel? With power assist?

I'm not a major four-headlight C1 fan, but would take this one in a second!
:thumbs: :flag: :thumbs:

Yes, it is a 15" steering wheel with power assist. LS1 with a few tweeks and a 4L60e transmission. Dyno'ed at 317hp at the rear wheels, a little under 400hp at the fly wheel. I wanted a comfortable, fast touring car that was well balanced. It will do 0-60 in 5.0 but there are far quicker cars. But it is smooth on the road!

Ironduke01 12-31-2015 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jedjr59restomd (Post 1591223836)
Wow,thanks.... this has got me thinking... I too have the Newman chassis with the C4 brakes. I'm going with the GTS quarters which will increase the outer clearance by ~1.5". I love the white walls with the hubcaps, but want a wider tire on the rear. If the 15's will clear the calipers like you are saying. I think I'm going to dig into finding a wider steel wheel for the rears, and investigate the options for the wider whitewalls. Awesome! I've always heard that the 15's would not clear, but never actually ever checked myself. Are your front rotors 13"s? And the rears 12"? Thanks, Ed

I went with the standard brake package from Newman which has 11.5" rotors front and rear.

jedjr59restomd 12-31-2015 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ironduke01 (Post 1591223990)
I went with the standard brake package from Newman which has 11.5" rotors front and rear.

Thanks. That would explain it. I'll need to weigh changing them out against the look I want to achieve. Really appreciate your response!

Loren Smith 01-01-2016 01:41 AM

Very sweet ride, thanks for sharing the pics. I also like both wheel / tire combos. Maybe run one set in the summer and the other in the winter?

Ironduke01 01-02-2016 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Loren Smith (Post 1591228304)
Very sweet ride, thanks for sharing the pics. I also like both wheel / tire combos. Maybe run one set in the summer and the other in the winter?

White walls or billet wheels, there is nothing quite like 1958 chrome!
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...db9135fd7.jpeg

ironheadvette 01-03-2016 11:05 AM

Very nice - maybe I'll change gears... pun intended.

It looks like your console could attach to the original console area where the heat/clock and radio were. Did you have to modify it too?

Also, could you post a picture of how the Arm Rest tilts so the back console will still open? The cup holders are waaaayy cool, and I'll bet the arm rest scores a lot of points too....
Thanks IHV

Ironduke01 01-03-2016 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ironheadvette (Post 1591241026)
It looks like your console could attach to the original console area where the heat/clock and radio were. Did you have to modify it too?

Also, could you post a picture of how the Arm Rest tilts so the back console will still open? The cup holders are waaaayy cool, and I'll bet the arm rest scores a lot of points too....
Thanks IHV

I will try to get a good picture for you, but until I do, let me just describe how the armrest is mounted. There is a hidden piano type hinge on the front edge so the back of the armrest rotates forward. That reveals the small box for my iPhone connection and insurance/registration cards.

The console is built over the old console which we left largely intact for the structural support it gives to the dash. Hope that helps you.

Dale002 01-04-2016 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ironduke01 (Post 1591222359)
I am attaching some pictures of the console that I hope will help you. The cup holders were a standard order item (2 3/4" stainless) but the console was designed by Eric Brockmeyer and Jerry Noone after I described what I was looking for.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...784bfef66.jpeg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b846f4c13.jpeg

By Far, this is the best center console that I have seen on the C1.
It be awesome is you had some pictures of the console and of the prep on the original console area while it was being fitted. I'm wondering if the original center console is still behind the new one because the original console helps support the dash from sagging. It be great to see how it was done.
Are those 61 door armrests?

Ironduke01 01-04-2016 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dale002 (Post 1591246279)
By Far, this is the best center console that I have seen on the C1.
It be awesome is you had some pictures of the console and of the prep on the original console area while it was being fitted. I'm wondering if the original center console is still behind the new one because the original console helps support the dash from sagging. It be great to see how it was done.
Are those 61 door armrests?

You are correct that we left the original console behind the new one. It is needed for structural support of the dash. The new console is fairly easy to remove if needed.

The door panels are a blend of C1 corvettes and artistic license. The arm rests are custom but a little smaller than '61. The panels were inspired by '61 and'62 but we padded the leather, did extra stitching and added a metallic cloth stripe on the door accented by stainless strips. All of the door hardware is original 1958. Although we have power windows, I liked the old window cranks so we used them as the actuators. You just touch them up or down to control the windows.

Our design strategy on the car was to achieve a fast, comfortable cruiser that was modern but looked original. I think some people call it "Newstalgia". I have driven it about 3000 miles now and I love it!

Dale002 01-04-2016 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ironduke01 (Post 1591246841)
You are correct that we left the original console behind the new one. It is needed for structural support of the dash. The new console is fairly easy to remove if needed.

The door panels are a blend of C1 corvettes and artistic license. The arm rests are custom but a little smaller than '61. The panels were inspired by '61 and'62 but we padded the leather, did extra stitching and added a metallic cloth stripe on the door accented by stainless strips. All of the door hardware is original 1958. Although we have power windows, I liked the old window cranks so we used them as the actuators. You just touch them up or down to control the windows.

Our design strategy on the car was to achieve a fast, comfortable cruiser that was modern but looked original. I itthink some people call it "Newstalgia". I have driven it about 3000 miles now and I love it!

Very nice, that's for sure! Can't wait to finish mine and start enjoying it. I was on the edge on whether or not build a center console, after seeing yours, one will be built. It just looks too nice, like it belongs there and can easily be removed and return to stock.can't go wrong!

Stan's Customs 01-04-2016 05:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I wanted to be able to use more than one one style of wheels on my Corvette Correction C4 chassis...and I wanted the old school look...so I went with the smaller C4 calipers and rotors on it as well.

Here's a pic of a set of 5" backspace/15 inch mags/tires we tried for kicks (already had them) ...and my custom built Stockton offset wheels (again 15") to work with the wider chassis...with Trim Polished full wheel covers and Michelin tires with Diamondback wide white Walls...( both were taken before the engine was installed.)

My wife thinks it looks like one set is for Cruise night ..and the other is for Prom night...?

I'm probably going to stay with wide whites all the time though...

Stan..

Ironduke01 01-04-2016 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs (Post 1591250935)
I wanted to be able to use more than one one style of wheels on my Corvette Correction C4 chassis...and I wanted the old school look...so I went with the smaller C4 calipers and rotors on it as well.

Here's a pic of a set of 5" backspace/15 inch mags/tires we tried for kicks (already had them) ...and my custom built Stockton offset wheels to work with the wider chassis...with Trim Polished full wheel covers and Michelin tires with Diamondback wide white Walls...( both were taken before the engine was installed.)

My wife thinks it looks like one set is for Cruise night ..and the other is for Prom night...?

I'm probably going to stay with wide whites all the time though...

Stan..

I really like your car and the white walls. Thinking of putting mine on for the spring. I like the slots in the 59 and newer wheel covers like yours. The 58's were solid with no holes.

vettpapaw 01-04-2016 08:43 PM

Please tell me you have a blue convertible top!!:cool:

Ironduke01 01-04-2016 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by vettpapaw (Post 1591252170)
Please tell me you have a blue convertible top!!:cool:

Sorry but we went with the Mercedes silver that matches the coves and leather interior

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...942cc66c3.jpeg

vettpapaw 01-04-2016 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ironduke01 (Post 1591252257)
Sorry but we went with the Mercedes silver that matches the coves and leather interior

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...942cc66c3.jpeg

Close enough:cheers: you did the car "right":cool:

ricott 11-03-2016 08:24 AM

What an absolutely beautiful car. What a save!

Robert61 11-03-2016 08:41 AM

I'm at this point now. Seems like a far off dream at the moment. I just discovered most of the steel supports will have to be replaced not what I wanted to do but I'll do whatever is necessary. And now there is one more thing that is absolutely positively necessary. That console is killer! The car is beautiful as you already know congrats on owning something this nice.

Originally Posted by Ironduke01 (Post 1591124358)
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...98d0ccf89.jpeg

Just to encourage people who are starting a restoration, here is a photo of the car when we started.

ricott 11-07-2016 11:09 AM

I love the Blue paint on your car. I thought it was a corvette color from the early 2000s, but it looks lighter in some of the pictures. Do you mind saying what make/model car was originally painted this Blue?